Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2015, 02:02   #1

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'
Upload Routes to GPS via Wifi Dataport?

Hi All,
I just installed a Brookhouse iMux multiplexer and connected all my NMEA 0183 instruments --- not easy given it's a mishmash of equipment. But, surprisingly, it all does work. The iMux provides a data stream of GPS, AIS, Wind, Depth, etc. over a TCP/IP connection. OpenCPN, of course, was super easy to set up. Made me very happy to see all that data displayed on the dashboard plugin.

Now, just to make things more challenging, I thought I'd see if I could send a route back to the GPS. The iMux provides a path for data received via the wifi signal to be routed to the hardwired NMEA OUT connection.

However, in O there is no way to select SEND TO GPS and choose the TCP/IP dataport. Has anyone every tried this? Is it even possible?

Thanks much.
Bruce
s/v Migration
P. Babi Tengah, Malaysia
bbalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 11:47   #2

Boat: C&C 29 MkI
Re: Upload Routes to GPS via Wifi Dataport?

Bruce,
I have my Brookhouse Mux reporting AIS traffic but not much else. There is an in/out port on the bottom of the interface pins which looks like it may do the job. I could starting Wed this week try to get data posted from this hook as I will be on the boat. Trick is to make sure the blue wire is set up so the mux passes the data at 4800 baud. I have a TackTix mux interface so I can check the data on the output very easily. What would be very useful from you is a pic of your connections page so that we are both operating from a common point. (for example: Go to Options-> Connections-> Add Conection and select "Network" plus the GPSD radio button. Address should be "localhost" and DataPorts should be set to 2947.) Take a snapshot of that page and I will try to match my parameters. I am running Navagatrix (Debian Linux) on a Thinkpad on the boat currently and the latest production of OpenCPN is installed. Your comments about the mishmash are right on the mark.
yrs trly etc.
fdr
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 23:18   #3

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Hi fdr,
Thanks so much for your response. I'm sorry I did not respond sooner but we left on a passage and we've been without great internet for a while.

Since I first posted, my Garmin 76 stopped working. Well, not exactly. It is just unusable as you have to hold the power button constantly or it turns itself off. I've purchased a new one but it's a different model (78S). Thanks for your offer of seeing if sending data will work but now I can't even get OpenCPN to upload a route when the GPS is connected to via USB.

I've got to figure that out and sort out other issues with the new GPS.
I'll revisit this issue when everything else is working.
I really appreciate your willingness to help.
Thanks,
Bruce
bbalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:32   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 35

Has anyone had any luck in bridging the iMux to a mobile hotspot router?
I am struggling with this part.
I have the iMux ST connected and working great, however the iPad wants to keep bouncing back to the Jetpack network and loses access to the NMEA data. There are instructions to Bridge the 2 wireless connections so the NMEA data can be accessed through the Hotspot connection. However the instructions are vague, very technical and very hard to understand.
I have attached the PDF instructions given to make this connection and any help wold be deeply appreciated..
Brown7477 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, loa, route, wifi