Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 10:55   #1

Uploading Routes with OpenCpn 4.0.0 to Garmin 78

I have no problem uploading routes to my Garmin 441s, but when I try a direct download to my Garmin 78 I get a message (Error on route upload, check log files).

The logs files:
1:52:20 PM: Sent Route to Garmin GPS on port: COM10
Unit identifies as: GPSMAP 78s Software Version 5.40
1:52:20 PM: Error Sending Route to Garmin GPS on port: COM10
LastGarminError is: Error Code is 0

Any ideas??
Prairie 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:19   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: Uploading Routes with OpenCpn 4.0.0 to Garmin 78

For what my experience exporting to a 12xl Garmin is worth, it would not accept a route as such. But all the wpts appeared on the Garmin's "wpt page".
handheld older Garmins -(I have 4 of various type) do not like the "open" gpx format and don't seem to recognize "RTE".
Even from their own app (Mapsource). You might have to export the gpx from opencpn and use another intermediary application..."Basecamp" or something beyond the Garmin pale.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:47   #3

Thanks for the response. My Garmin 76s handheld has a micro sd card, so it is relatively easy to upload gpx routes, but thought it should also take the gps direct upload via garmin mode. Again, thanks for your advise.
Prairie 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 14:23   #4

Because my Garmin GPSMAP 4010 is not recognised by OpenCPN, for transferring routes to Garmin in G-Mode, I export the route from O to EasyGPS initially.

It is then possible to transfer the route (plus waypoints) from EasyGPS to the 4010 by using Garmin 76 settings in EasyGPS.

EasyGPS allows the user the choice of a GPS to export to. OpenCPN seems to rely on recognising the Garmin model by the identification data sent from the plotter to OpenCPN. If O cannot recognise this data then a direct transfer fails.

It would be nice if we had the option in O of choosing the model of plotter we are sending to, rather than relying on O recognising the plotter, if this makes sense!!!

OpenCPN provides the best planning tools for my routes.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, garmin, loa, opencpn, route