Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2019, 00:11   #46
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: USB key dongle for oeSENC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
You really need to either figure out something different or make it very clear that the charts won't be reliable on Windows 10. As it sits now, I'm not able to use the chart sets that I purchased.
We are talking here about a low one digit percentage of all W10 installs. This does not take away that it is annoying. For you and for us.
For those who have seen this on their W10 system we recommend to use the dongle.
And we will of course help to get the charts running in this cases.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 01:10   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
crayii...

from o-charts:

For these rare cases we restore your license after checking it. Write us an email with your account or order reference please.

Have you actually responded to this offer for help? I expect you will get your charts back after one email exchange.

Dave
Why yes Dave, I actually have. Uwe is trying to get it working again. It has been many email exchanges and they still don't work. What did we bet?
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 01:25   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
We are talking here about a low one digit percentage of all W10 installs. This does not take away that it is annoying. For you and for us.
For those who have seen this on their W10 system we recommend to use the dongle.
And we will of course help to get the charts running in this cases.
We actually use our system on a sailboat for both navigation (win10 tablet in waterproof case) and for planning (win10 laptop). In our case having a dongle hanging out the side of either isn't workable. Let alone getting one to us being pretty difficult.

Is a refund an option in our case since the charts just aren't reliable?
Old 26-11-2019, 09:00   #49

They got it working for us so I'm very thankful for that!

I have a disdain for draconian copy protection so while I'm glad to have working charts now, I still would like to see a better system in place.

Copy protection that simply shuts things down is not a good system for navigational charts.

Perhaps it could give a warning and tell us that if things aren't corrected in 30 days, functionality will be lost?

It's never good when customers end up being treated like thieves. Yet, I know, we have the thieves to thank for that
Old 26-11-2019, 11:10   #50
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

What we reconstructed as source of your issues is a former version of oeSENC when installing oeRNC and the two conflicting . We saw some cases like this when testing oeRNC with a group of beta testers.

When you are running W10 as your nav system, then you should consider to block any update during your voyage. Not related to oeSENc or oeRNC. Don't touch that running system nor allow Microsoft to touch it. Deny updates.

Linux based or macOS systems are much more stable for this purpose. W7 and W8 as well.

"Customer" is btw. not a term that makes things more urgent for us. We want to see OCPN with the chart sets for OCPN running smoothly for all users. Having to license and to pay most of the charts (us and thus the enduser) makes no difference for our efforts.
The concept of "Intellectual Property" has not been invented by us (nor by you) and is a framework we are supposed to live with.
A daily conflict.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 11:17   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
What we reconstructed as source of your issues is a former version of oeSENC when installing oeRNC and the two conflicting . We saw some cases like this when testing oeRNC with a group of beta testers.

When you are running W10 as your nav system, then you should consider to block any update during your voyage. Not related to oeSENc or oeRNC. Don't touch that running system nor allow Microsoft to touch it. Deny updates.

Linux based or macOS systems are much more stable for this purpose. W7 and W8 as well.

"Customer" is btw. not a term that makes things more urgent for us. We want to see OCPN with the chart sets for OCPN running smoothly for all users. Having to license and to pay most of the charts (us and thus the enduser) makes no difference for our efforts.
The concept of "Intellectual Property" has not been invented by us (nor by you) and is a framework we are supposed to live with.
A daily conflict.
As soon as there is a solid non windows tablet that can run OpenCPN and the plugins we use, I'll switch.

Also, please share how to turn off Windows update, I can't make it happen.
Old 26-11-2019, 12:39   #52

Boat: Raider 18 Cuddy

Quote:
As soon as there is a solid non windows tablet that can run OpenCPN and the plugins we use, I'll switch.

Also, please share how to turn off Windows update, I can't make it happen.
Set the WIFI connection as metered, no more updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-windows-10
Ben S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 12:45   #53

Quote:
In our case having a dongle hanging out the side of either isn't workable.

The dongle is very small, it can even fit completely in an USB port if you remove the small plastic handle.
Picture dongle compared to a logitech mouse tranceiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dongle.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	203792  
Old 26-11-2019, 12:48   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben S View Post
The dongle is very small, it can even fit completely in an USB port if you remove the small plastic handle.
Picture dongle compared to a logitech mouse tranceiver.
USB C version?
Old 26-11-2019, 12:53   #55

Quote:
USB C version?
No USB C

Just set connection to metered, i also have W10 on the nav station, did not update last 2 years.

Now i have dongle, bit still not let W10 do updates
Old 26-11-2019, 13:05   #56

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Set the WIFI connection as metered, no more updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-windows-10

Unfortunately, this won't stop updates absolutely. Those deemed critical will still be installed eventually. It's a little more work to kill all updates. Plenty of Internet guides available though, for example

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...lly-windows-10

On an interesting note, it's now possible to install Linux as a docker style application using Windows Subsystem for Linux on later Windows 10 versions. Linux installed this way is limited to console applications, but it appears possible that it can be rigged to run x-windowing apps. Perhaps this could be utilised for OpenCPN???

https://virtualizationreview.com/art...-on-linux.aspx
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:10   #57

Quote:
No USB C

Just set connection to metered, i also have W10 on the nav station, did not update last 2 years.

Now i have dongle, bit still not let W10 do updates
I have many applications installed on my computers yet these charts are the only thing that updates kill. Why?
Old 26-11-2019, 13:13   #58

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

While I'm here,

I've got the OeSENC charts and a dongle. Working perfectly on my Windows 7 PC but when I've tried to install the charts to my notebook running Mint the dongle doesn't seem to be recognised by the charts installer as a dongle. I'd have to fire it up again for the specifics, but is there something obvious I'm missing?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:21   #59

Quote:
I have many applications installed on my computers yet these charts are the only thing that updates kill. Why?
That's because it's not a update.
It is a complete replacement of Windows 10 that the big version "updates" do.
And these will not be installed over a metered connection.
Now version 1909 is out
Old 26-11-2019, 13:27   #60

Working in IT since 1988, Windows 10 is the first OS that i have seen remove complete administrative software when installing updates...

Tags
enc