Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2024, 00:12   #1

Use custom grib files for Android version of opencpn

Hi y'all
thanks for letting me join, I've been searching all along but cannot seem to find a solution to my problem.
I'd like to use my own grib files in the Android version of opencpn. While the built-in function to pull GFS model grib files without email is convenient, GFS is less accurate in the area where I sail. I managed to get around the stupid Android 13 restrictions in accessing the Android/data folders of opencpn and places my grib files in there. However, the files don't show up when I "choose local grib file" from the grib plugin.
It's as if opencpn will filter the file list to what it has pulled itself and not allow foreign grib files (it's not a name filter, though, I've renamed the foreign grib files to match the pattern, but it still won't show up).
I've verified that the files are working on the desktop version.
This is really the last hurdle to being the perfect mobile chart planning tool, hope anyone can point me to a solution.
Off-topic rant: I'm relatively new to sailing, and I'm shocked by how poor the quality of commercial products is (especially considering their price tags). It's like they're stuck in the 90s with their user experience design. Okay, opencpn could use an optical refresh here and there, but it's brilliant regarding usability, features richness (and I've only scratched the surface), and the level of customization.
tinkderdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, rib