Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2020, 15:41   #1

User Standard Objects not available

Hi;
I just downloaded the new opencpn version 5.2. While configuring it I noticed that the "User Standard Objects" options are there but can't click on them. With the chart active I switched between the different categories on the "Display Categories" dropdown but nothing changes. I tried the base, all, standard with no luck. Am I missing something?
see a screenshot here:

https://login.filesanywhere.com/fs/v...8a606172b9a866
MazatlanMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 18:43   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: User Standard Objects not available

The file does not appear to be user writeable. Perhaps it is a permissions issue.
The same thing is happening to my Win10 Ov5.2.0+4d956e1
I had not noticed it for some time!

This is a bug I believe.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 22:59   #3
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazatlanMexico View Post
Hi;
I just downloaded the new opencpn version 5.2. While configuring it I noticed that the "User Standard Objects" options are there but can't click on them. With the chart active I switched between the different categories on the "Display Categories" dropdown but nothing changes. I tried the base, all, standard with no luck. Am I missing something?
see a screenshot here:

https://login.filesanywhere.com/fs/v...8a606172b9a866

The vector objects can only be edited when the display category is set to "user standard" at the "chart panel options".
This is a feature of 5.2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2020-09-13 a las 7.55.55.png
Views:	541
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	223312  
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 00:14   #4

Boat: Najad 34

This and other new features in 5.2 are also described here:https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/about/ver520.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	223313  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 06:58   #5

Quote:
The vector objects can only be edited when the display category is set to "user standard" at the "chart panel options".
This is a feature of 5.2
Yes, I had forgotten about this as I've just been using gshhs for testing & building pi.

I think this is a transitional state because we have dual screens, each with their own options/settings in the lower right. and we have the vector display somewhere else entirely under Options> Charts > Vector Display. To the user these are totally unlinked and not proximate visually or by controls, and they will not "get the relationship" very quickly.

The decision to move the "Display Category" selection was driven by having two canvases. I presume the purpose was to be able to select a different "Display Category" for each canvas, in the chart panel options because this is the way it (partially works now).

However when the chart panel options is opened or the focus is on a given canvas, the Vector Display does not act accordingly.... I think this needs to be fixed.
Please see the attached screenshots. --Perhaps I am misunderstanding the intention here, but something is amiss.

Also I encourage some solution to the contextual problem of having Vector Chart Display Selectors somewhere entirely different from the Chart Panel Options "Display Category"

Note that the Vector Display Screen remains at the "User Standard" state for both canvases. The left canvas should have the Vector Display at the "Standard" state, I believe.

I hope that in the next iteration there will be some improvements and clarity with these settings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (14).jpg
Views:	239
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	223330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (15).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	223331  

Old 13-09-2020, 07:45   #6
bcn

Rick, can't reproduce your settings.

- settings for vector charts are global, for both canvas in case of split canvas. For example "shallow depth", "safety depth", decluttered text etc.
Same for the objects selected for User Standard.

See the screen shots attached, where the depth contour gets toggled.
Happens on both canvas either with "apply" or "ok".

What of course is possible, is to use different display categories on either canvas.

The stumbling stone we have is the condition that one needs to have the "User Standard" display category active on at least one canvas in order to edit the "User Standard" content.
This in order to prevent that one edits the content and nothing happens on the screen - because you are in a different category like "All" or "Base".
Here in the forum we will find quite some cases from the past.

Now we have the trade-off with head scratching why the options are greyed out...

Hubert
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2020-09-13 a las 16.25.52.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	223334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2020-09-13 a las 16.26.49.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	223335  

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2020-09-13 a las 16.27.46.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	223336  
Old 13-09-2020, 11:48   #7

I am using Ov5.2.0+4d56e1. As I explained and have shown in the screenshots, I can set the Chart Panel Options to different "Display Category" settings. There is no talking around these facts. That is what is happening.

If this is a global setting, then changing a setting in one Chart Panel Option should cause the same setting in the other one to change!

That is not happening.

So what is supposed to happen? It is unclear.

I would also like to see some link to the Vector Display Tab and visa versa. Perhaps that would help users realize why the vector selections are greyed out.

Also, I assumed that the Vector Display Tab "User Standard Objects" that shows would show whatever the "Display Category" is for the given Canvas. (IE "Standard" on the left side with the selections greyed out, and "User Standard" on the right side, which would allow changing checkboxes, depending on which Canvas has been highlighted/selected or which Chart Panel Options is open.

Right now I have no idea how this is supposed to work, because the results sends conflicting and ambiguous signals.
Old 13-09-2020, 12:11   #8
bcn

If you have "Standard" on one canvas and "User Standard" on the other as in your screenshot, settings for User Standard Objects will only apply to "User Standard".
Content of "Standard" is defined by S-52.
Old 13-09-2020, 12:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
If you have "Standard" on one canvas and "User Standard" on the other as in your screenshot, settings for User Standard Objects will only apply to "User Standard".
Content of "Standard" is defined by S-52.
Yes, that may be so, but it leaves the user in an ambiguous state. What does this screen apply to, what is actually happening?

In my example, when the left screen is highlighted or the left Chart Panel Option is open, there should be a button just below the "Display Category: Standard" that is labeled "Vector Display Tab" and it should bring up the greyed out and inaccessible "User Standard Objects" with the three greyed out buttons below. That is explicit and leaves no doubt what is happening.

The right side Chart Panel Option should have the same button at the bottom "Vector Chart Tab" and bring up the "User Standard Objects" without being greyed out, so that the user can make selections. That also is explicit and leaves no room for confusion by the user.
Old 29-12-2021, 08:24   #10

Added this to FAQ Why is User's Standard greyed out