Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 08:31   #16

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Using Android Phone as GPS device for OpenCPN on a Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'm told that "for user security" the nice folks at Apple require developers to use a special Bluetooth mode, requiring a $1 chip and a $4 per-gadget license fee, i.e. the gizmo maker has to spend an extra $5 on each gizmo if they want to use the Apple special BT data protocols. No license? Sorry, standard BT data streams aren't accepted, because they might not be secure.

Or so they say.

Feel free to look into whether that's true, but I've heard it often enough to suspect you'll need a different way to get the GPS into the Mac.
Not quite true or only true if you are developing Bluetooth hardware yourself.
I use since 5 years Bluetooth GPS devices with Mac computers and actually with OS X El Capitan. These devices uses the SPP profile and there is no problem. They are even better to use with a Mac computer than with a Windows maschine because Microsoft never had learned how to handle external devices. Same problem by the way for Windows with USB devices: When you plugin your USB device onto another USB connector of a Windows maschine you have to install the driver again. These people at Microsoft are stupid...

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn, phone