Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2022, 19:31   #1

Boat: Tom Gilmer, Roughwater 33
Using GPS2IP to get a GPS signal to my open CPN on macbook, but only works with wifi

Using GPS2IP on my Iphone to get a GPS signal to my open CPN on macbook, but only works with wifi, am I missing something here? What use is this app if you can't use it once you've left the harbour and out of wifi?
rkarakai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 19:44   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Using GPS2IP to get a GPS signal to my open CPN on macbook, but only works with w

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkarakai21 View Post
Using GPS2IP on my Iphone to get a GPS signal to my open CPN on macbook, but only works with wifi, am I missing something here? What use is this app if you can't use it once you've left the harbour and out of wifi?
What you are maybe missing is that wi-fi is not the same thing as access to the internet. Local wi-fi connection between your iphone and other devices is something you can have on board in the middle of the ocean.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 19:53   #3

Re: Using GPS2IP to get a GPS signal to my open CPN on macbook, but only works with w

Hmm, ok, I ran through the setup as they said on the website for the app, and I only get the signal when I'm logged into the local wifi at the marina. I have more messing around to do.
Old 03-05-2022, 20:06   #4

Your Mac and your iPhone need to be on the same WiFi network if the position sharing is via WiFi (I’d be surprised if there aren’t other options in the Apple world to share location between devices, but I don’t know them). Easiest way, turn on your phone’s hotspot (which is a WiFi network), then connect your Mac to the hotspot. We have used our iDevices in this mode offshore even though the “hotspot” has no cell service and thus no internet.
PippaB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 20:11   #5

Interesting, I thought you needed cell data/towers to create a hotspot, ill try it.
Old 03-05-2022, 20:18   #6

That’s my recollection, but memory is fallible. If not the hotspot feature then use the WiFi on the Mac to create an ad hoc network. Last resort, you use some WiFi router to create the network.
PippaB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 21:02   #7

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 078

Either set up your own Wifi router on board or get a GPS Puck that your Macbook can connect to. Those come in USB and Bluetooth flavor.
zGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:10   #8

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I've found that use of your cell phones gps via bluetooth or wifi runs the cell phone battery down pretty fast, and a more robust installation uses a dedicated gps puck which can be obtained for $15-20 nowadays.

Use your cell gps only for a backup emergency.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, open cpn, wifi, work