Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2024, 08:41   #151
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: VDR Plugin

JavaPlug-in does install now on our W11/OCPN5.8.4 system...
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 12:10   #152

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395

To tidy up the recent discussion here:

The issue with a checksum error when installing the JavaScript plugin v3 ion Windows is resolved with v3.0.1. Any further discussion on the plugin is best done on its repo site here. There is a tab for discussions and one for issues.

Any discussion or issues with the VDR2 script are best dealt with on its repo site here. Again there is a tab for discussions and one for issues. There is an existing issue about an error when trying to record to a new file and a work-around.

This current topic is really about the VDR plugin. While it is reasonable to also talk about VDR2 as an alternative, let's avoid cluttering it up with detailed technical discussion of VDR2 when there is a forum specifically for it.
Old 08-04-2024, 14:05   #153

Antipole.
Now that the JavaScript PI is working let us go back to the VDR2. I am running Windows 11 and OCPN v5.8.4-0.

I followed your instructions: a) copy the URL provided on the instructions page, b) open JavaScript, Loa, URL from Clipboard, Run. All is well thus far.

The next screen asks for a file. If I choose New, it asks for the name and when I create a new one and run it, the whole OCPN shuts down.

Next, I followed the suggestion of Rasbats and instead of creating a new file, just overrode an existing empty one previously created. It looks like it is working, BUT, I can't now do anything else as every time I try to start a new process it goes back to the same file and append to it. Even if I clear the script and load it again, it goes straight to running, not even giving the option to select a new file and reset the recording parameters.

As I am new to this as always I don't know if this is just me or there is something happening here.

Safe winds,
seeUlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 14:51   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipole View Post
This current topic is really about the VDR plugin. While it is reasonable to also talk about VDR2 as an alternative, let's avoid cluttering it up with detailed technical discussion of VDR2 when there is a forum specifically for it.
seeUlater... as I requested, please take this to a topic in the script discussions where we can progress it. And once there, please confirm you have read the description and instructions - especially the section on the Control Panel.
Old 08-04-2024, 17:41   #155

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Read this please
https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...n-install.html

and also this

https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...ipt/index.html
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 23:23   #156

To try again to wrap up this issue here, the behaviour seeUlater describes is consistent with having selected Append (auto start) and is how the script is designed to work. This was described above in my introduction to VDR2 in this topic.

Quote:
File management

VDR2 has flexible file options. You can choose between creating a new file or overwriting or appending data to an existing one.

Recording can be paused and resumed.

There is an option to automatically append recorded data on script start and also when the plugin is loaded. It is possible to have a completely automated recording of data at the chosen frequency.

Details and installation

See the script's GitHub repository which also has a discussion forum.
The issue with New and a work-around is covered in the script issue here.
Old 18-04-2024, 07:01   #157

There is an update to VDR2 fixing, inter alia, the new file issue. See here.
Old 05-05-2024, 17:31   #158

Boat: Pearson 39-2 , 39' 3"

To create simulated Tracks I record text files comprised of !AIVDM NMEA 0183 sentences using the ShipDriver plugin on OpenCPN.

The VDR plugin does replay those, I think faithfully, but continuously loops, replaying the file repeatedly until I press the replay icon again to manually stop it. This prevents my testing OpenCPN's behavior when presented with, for example, complex routes which repeat waypoints [multiple loop race courses] or contain close proximity waypoints, or route legs that cross each other, etc.

The "Preferences" button on VDR is greyed out. Is that intended or a known bug? Anyone know a way to set the VDR plugin to replay a track file just once, then stop itself automatically?
------------------------------------
OpenCPN 5.8.4-0 under Windows 11,
VDR plugin version 1.3.28.0
ShipDriver plugin v3.3.3
Pearson 39-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 22:55   #159

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson 39-II View Post
To create simulated Tracks I record text files comprised of !AIVDM NMEA 0183 sentences using the ShipDriver plugin on OpenCPN.

The "Preferences" button on VDR is greyed out. Is that intended or a known bug? Anyone know a way to set the VDR plugin to replay a track file just once, then stop itself automatically?
------------------------------------
OpenCPN 5.8.4-0 under Windows 11, VDR plugin version 1.3.28.0
ShipDriver plugin v3.3.3

VDR has always operated in a loop since its creation, many years ago. And no setting has ever been available to change this. So, there is no bug.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 12:13   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
VDR has always operated in a loop since its creation, many years ago. And no setting has ever been available to change this. So, there is no bug.
Thanks for your reply Gilletarom. I should have been more clear that I'm asking two questions:
1. Is the greyed out "Preferences" button on the VDR Plugin intentional and are you in the process of coding to provide preference access to OpenCPN users?
2. Does anyone know of a way to stop VDR playback from continuously looping?

I think you have answered the second question. My understanding of the answer is the looping is intended, has always been that way and no effort to improve this is in the works.

I'll raise this as an issue on github, requesting a feature be added to control the looping behavior.

Please also address the first question re: the Preferences button.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2024, 12:23   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipole View Post
To tidy up the recent discussion here:

... Any discussion or issues with the VDR2 script are best dealt with on its repo site here. Again there is a tab for discussions and one for issues...

Antipole: to date the only discussion that has taken place on the github site is one I started just yesterday. There has been much more discussion here on the VDR Plugin thread on the CruisersForum OpenCPN forum, but you are trying to have us stop that and go instead to github. This CruisersForum is much more public and well known and easy to use. Would you consider opening your own VDR2 thread within the OpenCPN forum ?
Old 06-05-2024, 13:07   #162

FYI, its author indicates VDR2 has no playback function - it is only for recording. He suggests playing back VDR2 records using the OpenCPN VDR Plugin.

See the discussion here:https://github.com/antipole2/VDR2/discussions/7
Old 06-05-2024, 15:21   #163

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
FYI, its author indicates VDR2 has no playback function - it is only for recording. He suggests playing back VDR2 records using the OpenCPN VDR Plugin.

See the discussion here:https://github.com/antipole2/VDR2/discussions/7

If you are familiar with python, you should try running VDRplayer by Transmitter Dan https://github.com/transmitterdan/VDRplayer

It is independent of OpenCPN, but will provide a good data stream for OpenCPN.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 00:30   #164

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Gilletarom. I should have been more clear that I'm asking two questions:
1. Is the greyed out "Preferences" button on the VDR Plugin intentional and are you in the process of coding to provide preference access to OpenCPN users?
Please also address the first question re: the Preferences button.
Thanks!
I'm not a VDR programmer, so I'm not in a "process of coding to provide preference access". As for the creator of "VDR", Sethdart, he hasn't appeared here for a long time.
Only Pavel Kalian and Dave Register could probably tell you more about this.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 07:57   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
If you are familiar with python, you should try running VDRplayer by Transmitter Dan https://github.com/transmitterdan/VDRplayer

It is independent of OpenCPN, but will provide a good data stream for OpenCPN.
I see it includes :
Code:
-r # | --repeat=# - optional number of times to reread input file. Any valid port is accepted.
Just what I'm looking for in loop control. Thanks rgleason, will check it out.