Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 07:10   #1

Vector Chart Display Issues

I'm having two issues with the display of vector charts and one general chart display/quilting issue.

The first involves how soundings are displayed. When I zoom out, there's a period before soundings disappear when they dominate the screen, overlapping other soundings to the point where the screen is too cluttered and difficult to read. I'm using all the default display settings that the program came with.

The second issue is that whenever I zoom, the whole computer freezes up as it converts SENC, or something like that. Is there a way to run all of those conversions in advance when I don't need my chartplotter for navigation? I could run it overnight or something, instead of having my computer freeze up for 30-60 seconds at a time when I most need it.

Finally, there are multiple vector charts covering the same area. Chart quilting seems to work great for raster charts, but is there any way for Open CPN to automatically and smartly recognize what zoom level I'm at, and choose to display the most appropriate vector chart? That would drastically cut down on the number of green bars at the bottom of my screen, and make it easier to not lose vital details because the small scale charts covering large areas don't have all the information on the large scale charts covering small areas.

I'm running Open CPN 4.0.0 on Windows 8.1.
SeanLucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:54   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Vector Chart Display Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLucas View Post
I'm having two issues with the display of vector charts and one general chart display/quilting issue.

The first involves how soundings are displayed. When I zoom out, there's a period before soundings disappear when they dominate the screen, overlapping other soundings to the point where the screen is too cluttered and difficult to read. I'm using all the default display settings that the program came with.
- Set your physical display size correctly
- Set the Chart Zoom/Scale Weighting to your liking
(Both in Toolbox -> Display -> Advanced)
Quote:
The second issue is that whenever I zoom, the whole computer freezes up as it converts SENC, or something like that. Is there a way to run all of those conversions in advance when I don't need my chartplotter for navigation? I could run it overnight or something, instead of having my computer freeze up for 30-60 seconds at a time when I most need it.
Yes, you can run the program from the command line with /unit_test_1 parameter.
Quote:
Finally, there are multiple vector charts covering the same area. Chart quilting seems to work great for raster charts, but is there any way for Open CPN to automatically and smartly recognize what zoom level I'm at, and choose to display the most appropriate vector chart? That would drastically cut down on the number of green bars at the bottom of my screen, and make it easier to not lose vital details because the small scale charts covering large areas don't have all the information on the large scale charts covering small areas.
The same stuff addressing you first problem should help with this.

Good luck

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 13:22   #3

Re: Vector Chart Display Issues

Thank you! That did the trick.
SeanLucas is offline   Reply With Quote