Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2011, 06:14   #1
Marine Service Provider

Virtual OpenCPN - 'OpenCPN on a Stick'

I have started this thread to continue the discussion on making OpenCPN portable and useable from a USB drive Cameyo seems to do all we need but a wider audience using and testing Cameyo is needed to see if this solution is truly robust

regards

Richard
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 20:15   #2

Re: Virtual OpenCPN - 'OpenCPN on a Stick'

Hi Richard

Glad to have you on-board with this request / suggestion. You join a very long list of people who have asked for this for some considerable time now. The various threads however do seem to get lost and nothing ever seems to get done on it.

I hope that the program developers will now take notice of this now that you have opened a specific thread for it.

I would encourage everyone who wishes to have a portable version of OPCN to register their request on this thread and maybe it will then be taken up and implemented.
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 20:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Sorry this is not a features request it is available now

I have implemented Opencpn 2.5 to be portable running standalone on a usb memory stick I can run it on my home pc and move it to another laptop with full functionality including access to charts. This is zero install option for OpenCPN A virtual.exe is created for OpenCPN with all files running locally from the USB stick
The software is cameyo from

Cameyo | Free Application Virtualization

Its free to use and it works

regards

Richard
Old 26-09-2011, 21:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

If you are trying out cameyo You need to do a fresh install of openCpn in order for the software to capture all the information it needs to create a virtual OpenCPN exe file. At first cameyo takes a snapshot of your system which can take up to 5 mins. You are them prompted to start your install of OpenCpn When install has finished you click done on the cameyo dialog box and cameyo captures some more data A virtual exe file is created and saved that you can move it to a usb stick and run on any computer you like. Move your charts to the Usb stick and point OpenCPN to them
The only problem i have found is that each computer creates a new drive letter for any USB stick it finds This is not a problem for running virtual opencpn but may be a problem with a differing drive letter for the location of your charts I have been told you can correct this in the openCPN ini file so that does not point to an absolute location for your charts but uses a relative location If anyone knows how to do this let me know

regards

Richard
Old 27-09-2011, 04:14   #5

Boat: 1994 Fountaine Pajot Tobago-35 "Lauren Marie"

Have a look at Navigatrix. Navigatrix.net • The First Linux Distribution for Cruisers
mfeene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 05:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

I have just tried the online create a virtual app at cameyo It fails to works because user input is required during the installation of OpenCpn and it will only work with silent installs. the manual way or creating a virtual app for OpenCPN works well however

I have just downloaded Jefferson plan2nav app for the IPad . f****** We have nothing to fear. App is not intuitive has no user guide or online help and even the Jefferson tech support site has not heard of The only good thing are the cmap charts.

Regards

Richard
Old 27-09-2011, 07:42   #7

Boat: Gemini 3200

What we're looking for isn't already available if it requires an additional piece of software like Cameyo.

It's easy enough to create an application that doesn't require any installation and doesn't create any files outside of its own space. That's the way everything used to be written. That's what I'm looking for, not some complicated (or even simple) workaround.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 08:02   #8
Marine Service Provider

Once the. Virtual OpenCPN is created no additional software is needed.OpenCPN is launched from . a single virtual OpenCPN.exe No additional software or installation or files on the host computer are needed..This is a solution that works now before any future development by the OpenCPN team.

Regards

Richard
Old 27-09-2011, 09:25   #9

Boat: 29'

...I made one that works.I used JauntePE030Alpha.jaunte creates shadow folders on the usb and redirects application requests and writes to them.If anyone else wants to try,I used "Normal2 template and then tweaked the 'jaunte ini file in the portable.

It took a few tries,following directions.but now I can run the installed and the portable without them interfering with each other as to log,ini,marks,routes,window size,and charts installed.

unfortunately I think it will still be specific to XP or Win7 or whichever .O is slightly different on each system because Microsoft can't leave well enough alone and I only have XP.

If you want to carry your own charts using it,put them in a subfolder in the ProgramFiles or user data folders that jauntePE creates.
Likewise saved rotes,marks and so on.

Another tip that is a little confusing,is that browsing on the host with the portable OpenCPN will show the fake folders integrated with the Real ones but that's ok when you know.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 09:28   #10

Richard.Experiment with ".\" or "..\".each dot represents a nesting level instead of the Drive letter or folder names.It came up as a solution in JauntePe.Might work for you?anyways it's a lead.

Code:
[Launch]
Path=.\JPE\ProgramFiles\opencpn.exe
JPERuntime=.\JPE\jauntePE.dll
JPERuntimeIni=.\opencpn_jauntePE.ini
JPERuntimeReg=.\JPE\jauntePE.reg
JPERuntimeWFS=.\JPE\
RedirReg=1
RedirWFS=1
AppReg=1
AppWFS=1
ExeDir=1
JobIni=.\JPE\%appname%_job.ini
Old 27-09-2011, 09:49   #11
Marine Service Provider

Thanks looks like there I more than one way to skin a virtual cat

It's a pity we cannot Point relatively to the charts in the charts tab of the toolbox

I can make available my virtual version of OpenCPN built on xp for others to test on vista and or 7 perhaps you could do the same At their risk of course

Regards

Richard
Old 27-09-2011, 10:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.fairman View Post
Thanks looks like there I more than one way to skin a virtual cat

It's a pity we cannot Point relatively to the charts in the charts tab of the toolbox

I can make available my virtual version of OpenCPN built on xp for others to test on vista and or 7 perhaps you could do the same At their risk of course

Regards

Richard
oh,I'm pretty sure mine is XP specific.it's the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn\" and "C:\Program Files"thing. Both changed in Win7.and next is what,Win8?
...sort of why I'd just as soon drag the installed version around...and why I'm not a big fan of PortableO.It's such a good install and uninstall that it's nearly pointless...

and Where would I ever use this one I made?Not on my boat.Not on your boat.We can't have watchkeepers using different nav programs.And would you even let me navigate your boat?
Perhaps just marginally I might visit someone and want to show them something on a chart....but the greatest and first nuisance is looking at their computer...aargh!damn thing is unuseable.Bloated,choked,time passes.No,I'd just take my phone or netbook or charts or gpx.
Old 27-09-2011, 11:48   #13

..not that I want to dissuade anybody!my feathers are wet today.It is interesting to tinker....

at my low level of expertise,and only Windose,it seems easiest if everything you need is on the usb drive ... on the the root....charts and all...or at least one chart that O can open up to start with.
oh,you can still can browse around on the host computer and add their charts but when you move the usb,PortableO will remember the host in the chart locations.
Old 27-09-2011, 13:03   #14

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Not sure if this will help the cause?

PortableApps.com Installer | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

Extemp.
Old 27-09-2011, 14:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeene01 View Post
yes,that is the way to go- an entire mini OS.Then,you can just plug in and borrow the hardware.I keep meaning to try this. 1.3 gb'd be an all-nighter for me but this is an intersting link!

Tags
opencpn