Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 00:08   #181
NAV

Re: Watchdog Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
I have uploaded new versions of the pot and po files. This is patch 1.9.037 and that line is no longer there. Can you retry your test?
Jon,
I installed the last versions of OD and WD (1.9037) from your Dropbox. I updated my po- and mo-files using the last pot-file from Github. This specific string is still not translated. See picture.

Something else: on my PC (W10) I cannot re-activate the WD plugin after a de-activation. OpenCPN hangs and I have to restart it, after which I can activate WD again (this has been the case since I started testing the new version of WD).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD_string.PNG
Views:	141
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	119613  
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 01:44   #182

Boat: Richter 42

NAV,
Sorry, my mistake, I missed a "_T(" in the code. Has now been replaced with the correct code in patch 1.9.038. I am looking into your other issues with the plugin at the moment, but will upload this patch tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
Jon,
I installed the last versions of OD and WD (1.9037) from your Dropbox. I updated my po- and mo-files using the last pot-file from Github. This specific string is still not translated. See picture.

Something else: on my PC (W10) I cannot re-activate the WD plugin after a de-activation. OpenCPN hangs and I have to restart it, after which I can activate WD again (this has been the case since I started testing the new version of WD).
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:16   #183

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello JonGough,

I made various tests with the last two versions of OD and WD.
---------------------------
About OD:

No malfunction, I mean no crash or other. Let's say it's Ok.
At my language file, to give it a try:
In OD, instead of "Exclusion", "Inclusion" and "Neither," I put "Grid inside", "outside Grid" and "No grid".

The items of OD are not overwritten by those of WD. It's Ok.

let's remember that :
A boundary consists of:
A limit (or border) closed, which divides the plane into two parts: inside and outside (It's like Switzerland and the European Community)
---------------------------
About WD:

I entered various items in OD and WD.

At the language file, I took an idea of ​​Nevermind. I replaced "Exclusion", "Inclusion" and "Neither" to "Allow Entry", "Entry Denied" and "Nothing"

I took my tests with 6 polygonal boundary, activated 3, 3 inactivated. The interiors of the boundary do not overlap.

All tests with a VDR file have shown that activation and / or deactivation was properly taken into account. No problem at this level.

Regarding alerts:
- They can be triggered when the boat comes within a "boundary".
- If they are activated by entering inside a boundary, they cease when the boat comes out..
- They never triggered when the vessel is leaving the interior of a boundary.

Having said that, here is the summary of tests, only with activated boundary (That's short writing).

With "All": This sounds as soon as the boat comes within a boundary.
With "Allow Entry": This sounds when the boat comes within a boundary with the internal grid
With "Entry Denied" This sounds when the boat comes within a boundary with the external grid
With "Nothing": This sounds when the boat comes within a boundary without gridlines.

NOTA BENE :
Question: What happens to it especially if we interchange the text items "Allow Entry" and "Entry Denied"?
Answer: It does not change the operation. You can swap in English, the items "Exclusion" and "Inclusion" in the window, it does not change the operation.

Question: The user can make a bad choice it inadvertently?
Answer: YES

CONCLUSION:
The risk, as choices "by mistake" in WD, whether committed by the user is always present. Therefore, it is possible that no alarm is triggered, even when the user is expected to trigger it.

Please forgive me for this idea. I measure the disappointment that my words can cause. JonGough know that I have the feeling of a job that will lead, later, on a very good tool.
Personally, I suggest:
- This type of alarm is inactivated in WD,
- What WD, without this type of alarm is posted,
- What changes are implemented.
- And later, a new version is posted.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 13:01   #184

NAV,
I have now fixed the crash when you disable then enable the plugin in the options. I have also updated the Boundary Anchor alarm to show the name, if available, instead of the GUID. These are in patch 1.9.038. A windows installable is available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qfev1vycw...win32.exe?dl=0

Jon

Quote:
NAV,
Sorry, my mistake, I missed a "_T(" in the code. Has now been replaced with the correct code in patch 1.9.038. I am looking into your other issues with the plugin at the moment, but will upload this patch tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Jon
Old 26-02-2016, 13:20   #185

Gilletarom,
Thank you for your extensive testing. It now looks like, in the hands of careful person, that it works as it is currently intended.

I know it is possible for users to set the OCPN up so that it does not do what they expect, but we cannot remove all risks. Not all boats carry AIS transceivers and those that do are not always working/switched on, so relying on AIS displays to avoid collisions would be a poor decision on behalf of the 'captain'. It is up to the 'captain' to ascertain the risks, understand the equipment and then put appropriate actions in place to ensure the safety of the vessel and persons on board. In light of this, and the fact that we cannot cater for all the stupid decisions people make, we have to leave it up to the user to take appropriate care. We do supply warnings, but......

I know there are more tools for OD, i.e. proper moving guard zones, wind indicators, better text points, more drawing tools, etc., and there are more and better interactions with other plugins, i.e. proposed routes crossing boundaries, AIS predictors for boundary alarms, etc. We just need to document them in flyspray and then prioritise them. The only issue here is that as we add more capability the complexity level increases rapidly (geometrically?) and the building, testing and problem resolution becomes more difficult. We have already seen with OD/WD/WR that it is difficult for us to workout what is going on and all the interactions, for a new user it may be daunting. So perhaps the next task may be to improve the 'education' process, i.e. simple starter manual, intermediate manual, etc. to help ease new users in, but also allow experienced users to extend their usage. I know that some think you should not have documentation as no one reads it, it is out of date before it is completed, etc. but how else do you inform users of capability?

I'll stop rambling now.

Jon
Old 26-02-2016, 13:30   #186
NAV

Quote:
I have now fixed the crash when you disable then enable the plugin in the options. I have also updated the Boundary Anchor alarm to show the name, if available, instead of the GUID. These are in patch 1.9.038. A windows installable is available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qfev1vycw...win32.exe?dl=0
Jon,
I installed patch 1.9.038. These are the results:
1. Crash is fixed indeed
2. Boundary name is now shown instead of GUID
3. 'boundary area' is still displayed in English
4. 'Boundary Name' is also displayed in English

See picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Watchdog.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	119637  
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 13:32   #187

JonGough, as we say "Alea iacta es" (The curse in this are thrown)

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Old 26-02-2016, 13:37   #188

Gilletarom,
I am not sure turning off the functionality would help much. It may stop some issues, but we would be restricting the capability of the product just in case. We also need more users to test/use the capability so that we can improve it to make it more 'fool proof'.

Perhaps a warning should/could be included on the Alarms screen at the top (that no one will read) that says it is the users responsibility to make sure it all works and even then it is the users responsibility if it does not. Remember, GPS's only give an estimate of your Lat/Lon and it may or may not be correct, and any map you are using may well be wrong even when they are fully up to date and official (they certainly are in Australia), so combining a GPS and a map will only give an 'estimate' of where you are and it is your responsibility to verify this. If you hit land with a vessel and your excuse is 'I was using GPS and the official charts' you may not get a sympathetic hearing from the judge, as you would be expected to have looked out and verified that you were where you thought you were AND you were not about to drive your vessel along a road.

I think there is only so much that can be done. In this case it is "Caveat Emptor" or should it be "Caveat Nauta" ("Let the sailor beware").

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post

Please forgive me for this idea. I measure the disappointment that my words can cause. JonGough know that I have the feeling of a job that will lead, later, on a very good tool.
Personally, I suggest:
- This type of alarm is inactivated in WD,
- What WD, without this type of alarm is posted,
- What changes are implemented.
- And later, a new version is posted.
Old 26-02-2016, 14:23   #189

NAV,
I updated the nl.po file a little to match the text changes I made in alarm.cpp. I also recreated the mo files and rebuilt the windows install, now patch 1.0.039. I have tried with the Dutch language on my machine and it appears to work now. Can you try it out, the file is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w44rnzrtn0...win32.exe?dl=0

If it works can you please check the crowdin version of the nl.po file and make sure that it has all the translations in it (there is a new pot file as well but it has not yet been uploaded to crowdin). As we are now down to trying to synchronise the language files with the plugin it is getting difficult/awkward trying to keep crowdin up to date. So, you 'may' get a reversion (older version) of the language file when someone else does the build, but I am not sure how to fix that at the moment.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
Jon,
I installed patch 1.9.038. These are the results:
1. Crash is fixed indeed
2. Boundary name is now shown instead of GUID
3. 'boundary area' is still displayed in English
4. 'Boundary Name' is also displayed in English

See picture.
Old 26-02-2016, 14:44   #190

JonGough,

You are right. We need your baby go swimming! And must tell others what they think.

So I suggest you just add a Help button in the WD zone alert. The button should be used to display a pop-up with a short text similar to this:

"Regarding alerts:
- If they are activated by a boundary reviews entering inside, they cease when the boat comes out ..

With "All": This sounds as soon as the boat comes within each kind of boundary.
With "Entry Denied": This sounds when the boat comes within a boundary with the internal grid
With "Allow Entry" This sounds when the boat comes within a boundary with the external grid
With "Nothing": This sounds when the boat comes within a boundary without gridlines.
"

B.R. Gilletarom.
Old 26-02-2016, 15:02   #191

Gilletarom,
I have attached a screen shot of a change I could make to the alarm dialog. Would this help?

Jon

Quote:
JonGough,

You are right. We need your baby go swimming! And must tell others what they think.

So I suggest you just add a Help button in the WD zone alert. The button should be used to display a pop-up with a short text similar to this:

"Regarding alerts:
- If they are activated by a boundary reviews entering inside, they cease when the boat comes out ..

With "All": This sounds as soon as the boat comes within each kind of boundary.
With "Entry Denied": This sounds when the boat comes within a boundary with the internal grid
With "Allow Entry" This sounds when the boat comes within a boundary with the external grid
"

B.R. Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boundary alarm warning.png
Views:	408
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	119638  
Old 26-02-2016, 15:20   #192

Quote:
Gilletarom,
I have attached a screen shot of a change I could make to the alarm dialog. Would this help?

Jon
Ok. This is minimal.

Note that : "The above alarm are designed to activate sound when you approch or enter a boundary" is not completely true.

My proposal gave the "rules of the game", without to read the website.

Perhaps, if there is place, you can add just :
"
"All": Sounds as soon as the boat comes within each kind of boundary.
"Exclusion": Sounds if boat comes within a boundary with internal grid
"Inclusion" : Sounds if boat comes within a boundary with external grid
"Nothing": Sounds if boat comes within a boundary without gridlines.
"
Old 26-02-2016, 15:31   #193

Do not forget that french language files are not ready (OD and WD).
Old 26-02-2016, 15:44   #194

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Jon,
I have removed the other versions of WatchDog and uploaded your
watchdog_pi-1.9039-win32

Should I just delete my local and git clone? Would that take care of any problems?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 15:46   #195

Gilletarom,
The problem with putting more information on the dialog is that it will be too big for users to display and we will get complaints about that. I am reluctant to add more text to the screen. The users really should read the manual BEFORE they attempt to use something they don't understand. At this point users are supposed to be competent as they are in charge of a vessel. We cannot protect everyone all of the time. Perhaps this should be wider discussion on informing the user of the dangers of using OCPN for any sort of navigation rather than picking on one plugin?

Jon

Quote:
Ok. This is minimal.

Note that : "The above alarm are designed to activate sound when you approch or enter a boundary" is not completely true.

My proposal gave the "rules of the game", without to read the website.

Perhaps, if there is place, you can add just :
"
"All": Sounds as soon as the boat comes within each kind of boundary.
"Exclusion": Sounds if boat comes within a boundary with internal grid
"Inclusion" : Sounds if boat comes within a boundary with external grid
"Nothing": Sounds if boat comes within a boundary without gridlines.
"

Tags
plug