Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 05:53   #466

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Watchdog Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello RGleason,

Regarding Anchor whatch, as it is built into OpenCPN, no problem. I have known this tool since the early versions of OpenCPN and it has always worked well. It has been explained in the opencpn.fr website for years.

So no problem with that.

And I know that the WatchDog plugin does not intervene in its operation.

Gilletarom.

Bien. Compris. Y a-t-il un problème avec Watchdog?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:58   #467

Gille wrote:

Use of boundaries and whatchDog turns out not to do what I expect it to do.
I have tested playing VDR file by VDR to create NMEA stream. Traditionally, it works.

..Either way, the results I get with WatchDog are not what I guess I should expect.

More precisely, we must have effects similar to those of AnchorWatch. It really is not.

Could they come from the fact that the NMEA stream is virtual? - Gille I don't believe that should make any difference.

----

Thanks so much, I will look into this problem.
Old 25-01-2021, 01:22   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanm View Post
When I try to get AIS guard zone to work and create a GZ , copy the Guid ,setup the settings as needed Watchdog 2.4.21.0 show "guard zone not found" how do I get Watchdog to recognize the guardzones?
Hey did you ever find a solution to your problem with Watchdog?

I seem to be having the same "Guard Zone Not found" error

OCPN 5.2.4
WD 2.4.21.0
Win 10

flint41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 10:52   #469

No not yet haven't tried actually in a while
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint41 View Post
Hey did you ever find a solution to your problem with Watchdog?

I seem to be having the same "Guard Zone Not found" error

OCPN 5.2.4
WD 2.4.21.0
Win 10

Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 14:51   #470

Boat: Richter 42

I Just looked in the opencpn.log file while attempting to setup the AIS guard zone and there are a bunch of messages about JSON schema validation errors. Two things about this,

1. there shouldn't be validation errors, but this 'may' be due to a version miss match between ODraw and Watchdog
  2. Watchdog 'should' be using the binary API not JSON for speed reasons
I will have a look and see if I can determine what is causing these.
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 15:02   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
I Just looked in the opencpn.log file while attempting to setup the AIS guard zone and there are a bunch of messages about JSON schema validation errors. Two things about this,

1. there shouldn't be validation errors, but this 'may' be due to a version miss match between ODraw and Watchdog
  2. Watchdog 'should' be using the binary API not JSON for speed reasons
I will have a look and see if I can determine what is causing these.
Thank you! Waiting with baited breath while attempting to compile OCPN 4.8.8

I thought maybe it had to do with depricated functions after the update from wxWidgets 3.0.2 to 3.1.6
Old 26-01-2021, 16:58   #472

Oh my god I actually did it.

Now, I'm not much with the code so I did spend way too much time for the simplicity of the solution. But regardless, I got it working.

Firstly, ODAPI is not being used for this type of boundary alarm. It is still trying to use the old json system. That said, looking back in this thread, someone once claimed that it had worked at some point.

Looking at draw_pi's ODJSON.cpp, I saw that it implements some kind of JSON validator that I couldn't be bothered to find. The point is that it only uses that validator if the global OD_JSON_SCHEMA_VALIDATOR is defined.

My fix was to add #undef OD_JSON_SCHEMA_VALIDATOR to the top of draw_pi's ODJSON.cpp

This allows it to default to a basic validator but it WORKS!
Old 26-01-2021, 17:17   #473

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint41 View Post
Oh my god I actually did it.

Now, I'm not much with the code so I did spend way too much time for the simplicity of the solution. But regardless, I got it working.

Firstly, ODAPI is not being used for this type of boundary alarm. It is still trying to use the old json system. That said, looking back in this thread, someone once claimed that it had worked at some point.

Looking at draw_pi's ODJSON.cpp, I saw that it implements some kind of JSON validator that I couldn't be bothered to find. The point is that it only uses that validator if the global OD_JSON_SCHEMA_VALIDATOR is defined.

My fix was to add #undef OD_JSON_SCHEMA_VALIDATOR to the top of draw_pi's ODJSON.cpp

This allows it to default to a basic validator but it WORKS!

You are hired! Good job. Now we need to get Ocpn_Draw and WatchDog working together. I think Jon will want to take a look at this.
Old 26-01-2021, 19:01   #474

The use of JSON Schema Validation is controlled in CMakeLists.txt, youi just need to set OD_JSON_SCHEMA_VALIDATOR to OFF and then the JSON Schema is not used. This is a workaround as it should work and I have found the schema is missing a few items.

Whilst the JSON API is viable for Watchdog or Weather Routing it really needs to use the Binary API to avoid the overhead of using JSON messaging. I will be looking at this soon.
Old 10-02-2021, 18:17   #475

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
The use of JSON Schema Validation is controlled in CMakeLists.txt, youi just need to set OD_JSON_SCHEMA_VALIDATOR to OFF and then the JSON Schema is not used. This is a workaround as it should work and I have found the schema is missing a few items.

Whilst the JSON API is viable for Watchdog or Weather Routing it really needs to use the Binary API to avoid the overhead of using JSON messaging. I will be looking at this soon.
Hi Jon,

Have you been able to get Watchdog 2.4.21.0 or 2.4.20.0 working with OpenCPN for Mac 5.2.4 and Big Sur? Watchdog crashes OpenCPN and gives non-compatible version message.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 19:27   #476

I only had time for a quick look as I was trying to get the builds working for Android, arm, mingw and macos. I am away now and will not be back for ~3 weeks. I will have a look at it then. My testing did show the JSON API was working, but I didn't check how well. The JSON schema is being used by OD, other plugins probably don't have a sensible schema yet so turning it off in the build is probably the way to go.
Old 10-02-2021, 19:31   #477

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
I only had time for a quick look as I was trying to get the builds working for Android, arm, mingw and macos. I am away now and will not be back for ~3 weeks. I will have a look at it then. My testing did show the JSON API was working, but I didn't check how well. The JSON schema is being used by OD, other plugins probably don't have a sensible schema yet so turning it off in the build is probably the way to go.
How do I turn it off please?
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:17   #478

Turn what off?
If you build the plugins you can turn off JSON schema checks in the cmakelists.txt file.

The latest OD, 1.8.5.2, should work OK. When you are running these plugins and you have issues you need to look in the opencpn log to see if there are errors being reported. Then let the developer know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
How do I turn it off please?
Old 11-02-2021, 14:01   #479

I have done a build, 1.8.5.3, which has JSON turned off. It is currently in the cloudsmith alpha repository and I am building one for the beta repository. You may have to download the file and do a local install via 'import plugin...' button as I may not be able to update the Catalog.
Old 11-02-2021, 18:26   #480

What is done in Ocpn_Draw with regard to the ocpn_api probably affects watchdog and weather routing boundary certainly.

Tags
plug