Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2023, 13:03   #631

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Watchdog Plugin - Anchor Feature Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray122 View Post
The way to set an anchor watch in Watchdog is not too usefull. I'm single handled sailor, and when I drop the anchor, I have no time to play with openCPN.
What you also could try is to simply drop a WP in OCPN before leaving the cockpit. Afterwards make that WP an anchor watch. (Right click -> "Set Anchor Watch" (and maybe edit the range.)
One way to get a fast WP drop is to use the method many fishers use to to drop a WP for a lobster trap. That's to enable the space key to drop a mark. It's really quick. Also with gloves on.
How to:
Close OCPN.
Open the config file in a text editor like Notepad. Search (Ctrl-f) for: SpaceDropMark=0 and set it to SpaceDropMark=1 and save the file.

The config file; (opencpn.ini on Windows) is located at the same path as the log-file. See the Help [?] icon.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 16:06   #632

Re: Watchdog Plugin

Thanks for the trick! I still believe I need an easy method to drop a waypoint at the anchor position once it's done, not on the fly. I have no computer in the cockpit and I have no time to deal with that when I'm struggling to set the boat exactly where I want then rush to the bow, etc... ;-).
On top of that, when you drop a waypoint, it's the GPS position which is on the aft on my boat. It's already 12 meters wrong. On 40/50 meters chain, it's a 20% error roughly.
ray122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 16:20   #633

Re: Watchdog Plugin - Anchor Feature Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabado View Post
A more automated method would be great. For example, we drop the anchor, hit the button on Vesper, and it calculates everything based on the gps position related to the bow, the anchor roller height above the water, and the depth. It’s been pretty accurate.

The way we do it in OpenCPN is to always have it recording tracks and then we backdown on the anchor when set. That gives us our “max” radius and we can drop a mark where our tracks indicate we were when we dropped the anchor.

I really wish I knew something about programming so I could help put together a standalone anchor watch plugin. I only have ideas without the skills to make them a reality. [emoji23]
Thanks! The penCPN track looks lilke a good method actually (unless you forgot to activate it). I will try it.
Researching the web on this (I'm stuck waiting at anchor currently ;-) I've seen a project on gitub with a blootooth remote control that does what you say. But it's a signal-k anchor watch, not an openCPN anchor watch
https://github.com/meri-imperiumi/si...-anchor-button
ray122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 14:18   #634

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

So, it appears this would be one way to do it singlehanded.

1. Have opencpn tracks on.
2. Depth is known from sounder.
3. Anchor normally and back down on the anchor.
3. Use opencpn track to enter anchor drop location and enter anchor lat long.
4. Options:
a. Enter known length of rode so radius can be calculated.
b. Enter bow location, so radius can be calculated.
c. Use the gps lat/long at the time of the track drop location and the gps backdown location to calculate the radius. Use that distance with the anchor drop location for the radius.
d. Other options?

6. Result shows rode scope:depth ratio and sets the anchor alarm.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 07:24   #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY_BUDD View Post
Help! Watch Dog AIS Guard Zone

I cannot seem to get Watch Dog to alarm an AIS Guard Zone. I am located where there are plenty of AIS targets (near a ferry route). I have been able to confirm WatchDog alarm/alarm reset capability via an Anchor Watch. However, I have not been able to demonstrate an Guard Zone Alarm function with an ODraw Exclusion Boundary-GUID and WatchDog when AIS targets engage the boundary.

I have carefully followed the instructions in the manual and I am fairly certain I have been able to exercise this capability while cruising in the ICW prior to the pandemic. I am not perfect, far from it, so anything can happen.

Chuck (aka Billy Budd)
Hi
unfortunately it does not work for me with V2.4.100 either
( AIS Boundaryalarm ) or is there a solution?

voguecocktail
Voguecocktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 07:18   #636

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Watchdog Plugin 2.4.101.3

Watchdog Plugin 2.4.101.3 on Android 12
OpenCPN ver. 5.8.4 [100] Dave Register paid App

Preferences dialog hangs opencpn.
Menu icon toggles just a small text input box in the topp corner, that doesn't do anything but covering the menu hide button, only changing orientation brings the button back on topp to deacrivate the watchdog pop up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231229-092250.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	284854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231229-101510.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	284856  

CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 14:04   #637

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

@CatNewBee Sorry. There is a newer version Watchdog 2.4.105 that will be in PIM shortly. Hopefully that will fix it, also it should run on android better.

What OS please. I don't have preferences hanging in this new version. Also I think Android should be working better.

Dave has worked to improve the true and apparent wind alarms, but there may be some other areas that need attention in particular the operation of messaging between odraw and watchdog, etc.

Many many thanks to Dave!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wind Alarms.png
Views:	20
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	285649  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 15:04   #638

Boat: Hunter 34

Just getting used to Watchdog and its great. Wish I had activated it before.
Would it be possible to add a XTE and a waypoint arrival alarms to an activated route? Would be a great feature to have.
Thanks
Old 14-03-2024, 17:34   #639

Hi Watchdog team,

Thanks. Really love this plugin. We have a lot of tech onboard and this is one of my favourite and most valued items.

I have a request for one smallish but very valuable addition. A log file. At a minimum it could be something like: [DateTime:AlarmType:AlarmSetting:TriggerValue] eg [202403141445:Wind:OverSpeed~Apparent~30:45].

It is one thing to know there was a gust of > 30kn sometime in the last three hours but a whole lot more valuable (for a data nerd) to know it was 45kn 10 minutes ago.

Thanks for your assistance.

Kind regards
Ross
Scoee64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 02:31   #640

Boat: Corbin 39

I have installed Watchdog on Win10. When I press the Watchdog icon literally nothing happens. What am I doing wrong please?

I get the same response, i.e. no response, when OPCN Draw is installed

Both are enabled. Both are latest revs from download catalaogue. Draw = 1.8.49.1 and Watchdog = 2.4.110

(somewhere in the install manual it made a reference to enabling tactics but I suspect that was an editing error)
petit bateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 05:07   #641

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925
Lightbulb Re: Watchdog Plugin

Win 11 Pro ARM64
OCPN Version 5.9.0-0+b267660 Build 2024-05-19
Watchdog Version 2.4.107
Shipmodul MiniPlex-3E-N2K

I've been able to work with Absolute true wind doing the conversion attached in the multiplexer and receiving this sentence MWD.

as far as I see is giving the correct reading updated and I'll check about the alarm.

also, tested alarm and working too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sshot-5.png
Views:	12
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	290148   Click image for larger version

Name:	sshot-6.png
Views:	12
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	290149  

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave