Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 07:15   #106
NAV

Re: Watchdog Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roel Smidt View Post
I am no programmer but if you are referring to the text in the Edit Alarm window, maybe we can avoid confusion by omitting the "time" bit and rephrase the text "Graphical overlay for time displays line from boat to location of land crossing" to "Graphics enabled" will display a line from the boat to the location of landfall".?

Roel
I translated it to Dutch as follows:
'Grafische overlay toont trackvoorspelling van vaartuig naar landaanlooppunt'
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:00   #107

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
I translated it to Dutch as follows:
'Grafische overlay toont trackvoorspelling van vaartuig naar landaanlooppunt'
OK NAV, but on second thoughts: rolleyes:: in the case of a "Landfall Distance" alarm (GPS-fix is less than .... nm from coastline) the alarm is -I think- not related to the COG. That would mean the line WD will draw will not have any relation with the boat's (predicted) track.
It probably is just a line running from the boat to the nearest point on the coastline (the coastline as "seen" by OpenCPN).

So, might not "Grafische overlay toont kortste afstand van schip naar kustlijn" ("Graphical overlay shows shortest distance from ship to coastline") be more appropriate and suitable for and the Landfall Time alarm and the Landfall Distance alarm?

Roel
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:05   #108
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Perhaps the author - Sean - can tell us what he wanted to say?

Or somebody else inspecting the code...
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 17:27   #109

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
OK NAV, but on second thoughts: rolleyes:: in the case of a "Landfall Distance" alarm (GPS-fix is less than .... nm from coastline) the alarm is -I think- not related to the COG. That would mean the line WD will draw will not have any relation with the boat's (predicted) track.
It probably is just a line running from the boat to the nearest point on the coastline (the coastline as "seen" by OpenCPN).
Best to use High Resolution Background GHSSH Chart Sources | Official OpenCPN Homepage

I think it finds nearest point on the coastline in the direction you are heading.
Then there are two alarms one for distance and one for time (based on SOG).

But someone should look at the code, or ask Sean or Hakan, I think he has used it.

https://github.com/seandepagnier/wat...%93&q=landfall

Don't see COG or SOG here. How does he pick the Landing? I suppose closest point would be an early (worst case) alert.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 19:29   #110

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

The landfall distance alarm can go in any direction the closest to shore. The landfall time alarm only uses the current course and speed.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 23:12   #111

Boat: Richter 42

Hi,
I have just updated the plugin to 1.9.024 which includes a change to the Boundary GPS fix distance alarm. This alarm will now draw a flashing (Red and Light-Grey) line between the boat and the point that was found to be inside a boundary. This should help understand which boundary is causing the issue.

This alarm can consume large amounts of CPU, so care should be exercised when using it. There may be a need to provide a check time, i.e. how often to check for boundaries.

The flashing line can only be seen, currently, if the watchdog dialog is open.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:11   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Hi,
I have just updated the plugin to 1.9.024 which includes a change to the Boundary GPS fix distance alarm.
Jon
OK, Jon, I'm willing to update the WDpi-manual asap (although I need the 1.9.024 as .exe to be able to use it and take screenshots).
Roel
Old 18-01-2016, 08:44   #113
NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roel Smidt View Post

So, might not "Grafische overlay toont kortste afstand van schip naar kustlijn" ("Graphical overlay shows shortest distance from ship to coastline") be more appropriate and suitable for and the Landfall Time alarm and the Landfall Distance alarm?

Roel

In Dutch:
Wat ik zie (maar de plugin werkt nog niet 100% goed) is dat er altijd een voorspelde track wordt getekend (hier achter het bureau soms fout: een lijn van 0 NB 0 OL naar het vaartuig ....). De alarmering op een ingestelde afstand gaat uit van de dichtstbijzijnde kustlijn in alle richtingen (maar daarbij wordt dus ook de voorspelde track gebaseerd op COG/SOG getoond).

NB I also will install de latest WD version as mentioned in Håkan message hereunder.
Old 18-01-2016, 08:55   #114

Boat: Najad 34

Roel
Just built: (delete ".pdf" as usual)
Håkan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf watchdog_pi-1.9024-win32.exe.pdf (337.8 KB, 72 views)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:37   #115
NAV

I noticed that sometimes the track prediction for a landfall alarm is drawn from vessel to 0° N, 0° E.
Old 18-01-2016, 10:48   #116

Boat: Najad 34

NAV
It isn't the same mistake I did before? I used a "normal" chart and tried the Landfall alert.
The background "world map" that Watchman use for this is very simplified. I made an empty chart group and used that to test the alert. Then you can see what land contour is detected. The Landfall alert is obviously meant for oceans and not when close to land. Then the OD boundary and Watchman guard is better.
Håkan
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:44   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Roel
Just built: (delete ".pdf" as usual)
Håkan
THX Håkan ,
I have tested it and have just updated the Watchdog plugin manual.
Roel
Old 18-01-2016, 12:56   #118

Boat: Richter 42

Hi,
I have just added a slider to the boundary alarm to allow the user to select the frequency of checking for boundary checks. It defaults to 3 seconds (the current watchdog default), but can be set from 1 to 120 seconds. The longer the check the better for low powered machines. You will find a windows install version here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/81q59ux7k3...win32.exe?dl=0

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 07:52   #119

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

OpenCPN Beta Windows Plugins - Page 5 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 10:19   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Hi,
I have just added a slider to the boundary alarm to allow the user to select the frequency of checking for boundary checks. It defaults to 3 seconds (the current watchdog default), but can be set from 1 to 120 seconds. The longer the check the better for low powered machines. You will find a windows install version here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/81q59ux7k3...win32.exe?dl=0

Jon
OK, I've already started updating the WD documentation accordingly but will have to make new screenshots for S-WDpi-22, 23, 32a, 33, 40 and 44. Might take me a few days, other things are taking up my time .

Tags
plug