Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 07:01   #1

Boat: Aerodyne 43
Waypoints Disappear when Route Eyeball Deselected ?

OpenCPN 2.5.0.

I have input racing mark LatLongs as waypoints. I would like these waypoints to stay visible.

When I create a route using "use the nearby waypoint" method using some of these waypoints, then unclick the eyeball for that route, the waypoints disappear.

I can click and unclick the item in the "Icon" column on the waypoint tab in the Route Manager pop-up with no effect.

How can I get the waypoints to persist, even if I make the route not visible?
iduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 07:49   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Waypoints disappear when route eyeball deselected?

iduff...
Currently you can't, either you use them in a route and they become a part of a route or not. Please report this issue in OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist - I'm not sure whether to consider this a bug or a feature request myself though...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 08:05   #3

Actually, I just sort of inadvertently/brute-force figured out how to do it. I have the waypoints and routes in a .gpx file. I deleted all the waypoints and routes from OpenCPN, then re-imported the .gpx file. Now I can de-select the route eyeball, and the waypoints on which that route are based remain visible. Problem solved, at least for me.
Old 25-08-2011, 05:55   #4

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
iduff...
Currently you can't, either you use them in a route and they become a part of a route or not. Please report this issue in OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist - I'm not sure whether to consider this a bug or a feature request myself though...

Pavel
It's a bug, definitely. When you delete the route instead of just not displaying it the waypoints remain. Why should hiding the route work differently?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 06:32   #5

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Waypoints Disappear when Route Eyeball Deselected ?

Fabbian...
Which part of it is a bug? That they disappear with the route when the user made them a part of it or that it's not possible to make them reappear?
The former I personally consider a valid behavior for a lot of use cases - and it implies the later would be the bug that we should fix. Or the former may be the bug we have to fix, and the later is irrelevant? It depends what the behavior you expect is, definitely... Some part of the behavior should be changed, that's pretty obvious, but which one?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 07:19   #6

I solved my problem by brute force, but I'll chime in here on the underlying issue.

I think the display persistence behavior of routes and of waypoints should be independent of each other.

If I enter a series of standalone waypoints, then use them to define a route, I should be able to hide the route but leave the waypoints visible. This will let me re-use those waypoints for another, similar route.
Old 25-08-2011, 08:01   #7

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Fabbian...
Which part of it is a bug? That they disappear with the route when the user made them a part of it or that it's not possible to make them reappear?
The former I personally consider a valid behavior for a lot of use cases - and it implies the later would be the bug that we should fix. Or the former may be the bug we have to fix, and the later is irrelevant? It depends what the behavior you expect is, definitely... Some part of the behavior should be changed, that's pretty obvious, but which one?

Pavel
Good question. That they disappear with the route is the bug. The waypoints existed before the route was created. They were visible before the route was created. Their existence and visibility should remain independent of any route which passes through them.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote