Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 19:27   #1531

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: Weather Routing

Which version fixed it? I'm having the same issue.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 00:53   #1532

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Yep, seems like something to do with the grib as it works with climatology.

I don't understand it though as the grib time was set to 25th April 2018 21:00.

The start time was set the same.

EDIT: could possibly be local time vs UTC
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 18:54   #1533

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Read
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2620539

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ather-routing-
100060.html#post2607416

And perhaps the manual, and advise exactly what you have done Please.

Also update to the most current version of wxrouting and climatology please.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 20:09   #1534

Updated wxrouting to be current with all git changes.

https://github.com/rgleason/weather_...es/tag/1.12.0c
Old 27-04-2018, 06:34   #1535

Detect Boundary Problem Issue Reported
Also wrote Jon Gough.

Can anyone verify that the Watchdog messaging with Ocpn_Draw is working properly?

Also now small bug fix by did-g . Update to WxRouting
Old 05-05-2018, 13:35   #1536

Boat: Lagoon 500

Hi All,

I am having a problem with the Batch function working with the Weather_routing-Plugin_1.11.2.pkg and OpenCPN_4.8.2.dmg and also with OpenCPN_4.8.4.dmg on my Macintosh.

As soon as Weather Routing finishes doing the Climatology step, OpenCPN fails and bombs out. Calculating the Weather Routes individually works fine, but as soon as I try to run the batch file then the program crashes.

Anyone else having this problem?
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 14:20   #1537

Theeko74 and Sean have added a "Safetyland feature.

weather_routing_pi-1.12.0e-win32
Old 05-05-2018, 14:54   #1538

Kevin, using Opencpn v4.8.4 Wxroute weather_routing_pi-1.12.0d-win32 with climatology and grib_pi

I first ran a single route that used the last 4-5 days of a grib file, then used Climatology on most likely. It worked fine.

Then I ran three separate configurations which were similar, but starting at different times and having 3hr and 6hr intervals rather than the 30min interval of the first config. I ran those three configurations all at once and they all completed.

Please see the screenshots below. Now I am wondering how you are doing this. Perhaps you can upload your files so I can try?

I'll take a look at your log next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Hi All,

I am having a problem with the Batch function working with the Weather_routing-Plugin_1.11.2.pkg and OpenCPN_4.8.2.dmg and also with OpenCPN_4.8.4.dmg on my Macintosh.

As soon as Weather Routing finishes doing the Climatology step, OpenCPN fails and bombs out. Calculating the Weather Routes individually works fine, but as soon as I try to run the batch file then the program crashes.

Anyone else having this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (94).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	169273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (95).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	169274  

Old 05-05-2018, 15:03   #1539

There are several errors here,
15:01:57 EST: Error: Directory '../Users/kevinhiscox/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins/weather_routing//boats' couldn't be created (error 17: File exists)
15:01:57 EST: Error: Directory '/Users/kevinhiscox/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins/weather_routing//polars' couldn't be created (error 17: File exists)

These errors probably need to be corrected. What were you doing?

Then there is
15:02:50 EST: LOGBOOK: 2018-05-05 20:02:50 UTC DR Lat 33.35800 Lon -79.28200
15:03:21 EST: Got quitflag from SIGNAL[/QUOTE]

What is quitflag from SIGNAL?
I think that is causing your shutdown.

All the plugins shutdown successfully as intended. There was no crash.
I'd like to know where your wxroute boat.xml , polar file and weatherroutingconfiguration.xml pointed? You can tell in your opencpn.ini file.

I think I would turn off logbook and any other plugins that you really don't need for wxrouting.
Just for the purpose of getting it working. You can leave the 4 standard plugins running.
====

Quote:
15:01:50 EST: Getting DefaultSystemLocale...
15:01:51 EST: PlugInManager: Calling LateInit PlugIn: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/ocpn_draw_pi/libocpn_draw_pi.dylib
15:01:51 EST: ***GPS Watchdog timeout at Lat:33.358 Lon: -79.282
15:01:57 EST: Error: Directory '/Users/kevinhiscox/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins/weather_routing//boats' couldn't be created (error 17: File exists)
15:01:57 EST: Error: Directory '/Users/kevinhiscox/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins/weather_routing//polars' couldn't be created (error 17: File exists)
15:03:21 EST: Got quitflag from SIGNAL
Old 05-05-2018, 16:53   #1540

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
There are several errors here,
15:01:57 EST: Error: Directory '../Users/kevinhiscox/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins/weather_routing//boats' couldn't be created (error 17: File exists)

These errors probably need to be corrected. What were you doing?

Then there is
15:03:21 EST: Got quitflag from SIGNAL

I'd like to know where your wxroute boat.xml , polar file and weatherroutingconfiguration.xml pointed? You can tell in your opencpn.ini file.

I think I would turn off logbook and any other plugins that you really don't need for wxrouting.
Just for the purpose of getting it working. You can leave the 4 standard plugins running.
====[/QUOTE]

Hi Rick - thanks for the response. The only plugins that are installed are:
GRIB 4.1
Opencpn Draw 1.4
Weather Routing 1.11
Climatology 1.2
WMM 1.1
ChartDownloader 1.3

I have no idea where Logbook comes from or how it got there. The two errors you mentioned were corrected prior to having the problem with the Weather Routing Batch file. As I said, I can successfully calculate a Weather Route individually by varying the start date by say 24 hours for say seven days. However, if I use the Batch file with say seven days spaced one day apart, then OpenCPN crashes.

I did a clean install of everything and the problem still persists. What is quitflag from SIGNAL - no idea. The files you queried are located in /User/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins etc.
Old 05-05-2018, 17:34   #1541

I've been trying the new version safetyland setting through caribbean islands. Not so sure it is working correctly. Additionally there are some tough choices, and questions about how this would work when setting 20nm for safety and when the start is closer or the finish is closer.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:55   #1542

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40' or is it 39'?? :-)
Weather Routing general

Dear all,

sorry, If I am writing in the wrong space - Rick, just in case, please correct me and I will try hard(ly) :-) to use the correct way....

However, here some points from me, that came up while (by my standards intensively) testing the plugin (installed the latest version "e" with the safetyland addition). ...

I have to say, I am very satisfied, everything works nice for me so far and I think this to be another very useful plugin from Sean...

There are just some points, which I find might be worthwhile to be considered (at least I haven't found any solution in the current environment) - can I mention this here?

1. Would it be possible to "transform" or give an attribute to a "normal" Waypoint, to become a "weatherrouting waypoint"? This way, you wouldn't need to create separate "weather-routing" points, which too are invisible, when the plugin is closed. (There would be numerous further advantages to have this, for e.g. "importing a .gpx file, etc. ...)

2. Would it be possible, to implement using a pre-defined route as input to the plugin? I understand, that e.g. depth and land information would be difficult to obtain from the available maps (I think this is the reason for installing the GSHHS High Resolution Background) by drawing a route through certain areas with a number of waypoints, the problem could be circumvented to cross either land or get outside of narrow channels, etc. ...

3. When "exporting" the computed weatherroute, could there be a dialog, to give a name to the route??

4. Could there be an export into not just a simple track but a weatherroute with the weather information enroute the track?

Sorry again, if this is the wrong place. However, if you find the ideas above helpful and want to discuss them further in the "proper" space, I am quite ready to provide further info and background on my thoughts....

However, as already said, I am VERY grateful for all the ideas and work you are spending to build this fabulous tool !!!

Best regards, Uwe
HUR450502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:10   #1543

Re: Weather Routing general

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUR450502 View Post
Dear all,
1. Would it be possible to transform or give an attribute to a normal Waypoint, to become a weatherrouting waypoint? This way, you wouldn't need to create separate weather-routing points, which too are invisible, when the plugin is closed. (There would be numerous further advantages to have this, for e.g. ;importing a .gpx file, etc. ...)
Yes it is, I have done it but it's not compatible with 4.8 version, it adds a new line to waypoint menu, it's still wrong if you change the waypoint name and create duplicates but moving waypoint with the mouse works and updates routes, could be inefficient if you have a lot of waypoints.
Quote:
2. Would it be possible, to implement using a pre-defined route as input to the plugin? I understand, that e.g. depth and land information would be difficult to obtain from the available maps (I think this is the reason for installing the GSHHS High Resolution Background) by drawing a route through certain areas with a number of waypoints, the problem could be circumvented to cross either land or get outside of narrow channels, etc. ...
Yes it is, there's UI issues though. There's two requests: - adding mandatory waypoints to a weather route configuration (for the backend it's not too hard you can do it by 'chaining' config using computed end time as start time for the next config leg). - using an Opencpn route and only compute end time, test for charts dangers and WR constraints (winds, current, waves) .
Quote:

3. When exporting the computed weatherroute, could there be a dialog, to give a name to the route??
May be adding a name to all configs would be better, IIRC you can export more than one computed routes at once, leading to many dialog boxes and hard to know which is which.
Quote:

4. Could there be an export into not just a simple track but a weatherroute with the weather information enroute the track?
Currently there's nothing for displaying that kind of data in O but it's a frequent request, not only for weather route but also for actual NMEA data. Ther's a hack for route legs (VMG=) but it's a hack.
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:25   #1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post

====
Hi Rick - thanks for the response. The only plugins that are installed are:
GRIB 4.1
Opencpn Draw 1.4
Weather Routing 1.11
Climatology 1.2
WMM 1.1
ChartDownloader 1.3

I have no idea where Logbook comes from or how it got there. The two errors you mentioned were corrected prior to having the problem with the Weather Routing Batch file. As I said, I can successfully calculate a Weather Route individually by varying the start date by say 24 hours for say seven days. However, if I use the Batch file with say seven days spaced one day apart, then OpenCPN crashes.

I did a clean install of everything and the problem still persists. What is quitflag from SIGNAL - no idea. The files you queried are located in /User/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins etc.[/QUOTE]

Upon further testing, I discovered that the Batch file generates OK. The problem is that "Compute All" causes Opencpn for Mac to crash. No problems if I calculate each weather route individually with "Calculate".

Anyone got any clews - see log files attached showing successful individual "Calculate" examples and failed "Calculate All" for the same examples causing Opencpn to crash.
Old 07-05-2018, 17:35   #1545

Kevin, clearly you need some help from a Mac user, but
What is error 17: File exists? I wonder. Is the file set as read only? Can you access the file, and read it with a text editor, and save to the file?

Quote:
'/Users/kevinhiscox/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins/weather_routing//polars' couldn't be created (error 17: File exists)

Tags
paracelle, weather