Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2018, 17:40   #1546

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Weather Routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Hi Rick - thanks for the response. The only plugins that are installed are:
GRIB 4.1
Opencpn Draw 1.4
Weather Routing 1.11
Climatology 1.2
WMM 1.1
ChartDownloader 1.3

I have no idea where Logbook comes from or how it got there. The two errors you mentioned were corrected prior to having the problem with the Weather Routing Batch file. As I said, I can successfully calculate a Weather Route individually by varying the start date by say 24 hours for say seven days. However, if I use the Batch file with say seven days spaced one day apart, then OpenCPN crashes.

I did a clean install of everything and the problem still persists. What is quitflag from SIGNAL - no idea. The files you queried are located in /User/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins etc.
Upon further testing, I discovered that the Batch file generates OK. The problem is that "Compute All" causes Opencpn for Mac to crash. No problems if I calculate each weather route individually with "Calculate".
[/quote]
Strange. Could you limit the number of cpu in the settings to only 1 and see if "compute all" works?
Quote:

Anyone got any clews - see log files attached showing successful individual "Calculate" examples and failed "Calculate All" for the same examples causing Opencpn to crash.
I would need a backtrace
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:33   #1547

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Kevin, clearly you need some help from a Mac user, but
What is error 17: File exists? I wonder. Is the file set as read only? Can you access the file, and read it with a text editor, and save to the file?
Yes, I saw that too - the same errors appear in the successful "Compute" run and the unsuccessful "Compute All" run. It is pointing to the boat and polar files files in '/Users/kevinhiscox/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins/weather_routing/' but note that there is a double hash before '//boats' and '//polars' respectively. I think it is looking to the existence of the polar and boat files used in the calc and reporting that they exist.

Both a read/write files and can be accessed with Notepad. Looking at the log for the "Compute All" case, note that the log ends abruptly after the 'climatology_pi: cyclone cache: 284' ends. And this is what I observe when running - opencpn quits after the 'climatology_pi finishes running.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:26   #1548

Can you disable the climatology plugin and just use grib files for weather routing and "compute all"

a backtrace would help
Old 08-05-2018, 07:10   #1549

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

The double hash is ok. As Sean suggests, trying running wxroute with climatology disabled in wxroute.

Also, perhaps the climatology database is screwed up. You could try uninstall climatology and reinstall, but it sounds like you and Sean are on to something.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:13   #1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Can you disable the climatology plugin and just use grib files for weather routing and "compute all"

a backtrace would help
Hi Sean,

I disabled the Climatology plugin as requested and ran "Compute All". Opencpn crashed as soon as I pressed the "Compute All" button. Attached is the crash report.

Crashes whether using 4.8.2 or 4.8.4
Old 08-05-2018, 11:01   #1551

Could you now try again after disabling the draw plugin?
Old 08-05-2018, 15:50   #1552

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Could you now try again after disabling the draw plugin?
Thanks Sean - appears that Draw is the culprit as "Compute All" worked fine after disabling it and unchecking 'Detect Boundary' in theWeather Route Configuration file.

Problem now is that I use boundaries extensively to mark islands and reefs in the Pacific that to not show up on GSHHG.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:23   #1553

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40' or is it 39'?? :-)

... coming back to my post 1542 and did-g's answer. Sorry, for my late comment: I am happy, that obviously these points have been addressed somehow and I am happy to wait for an "official" solution (maybe just a statement, that it isn't worthwhile...). No "hacks" etc. required.
Thanks a lot for responding.
HUR450502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:14   #1554

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2627745

In addition to Did-g comments/ response to Uwe's suggestions:

Quote:
4. Could there be an export into not just a simple track but a weatherroute with the weather information enroute the track?

Currently there's nothing for displaying that kind of data in O but it's a frequent request, not only for weather route but also for actual NMEA data. There's a hack for route legs (VMG=) but it's a hack.
Note: The weather data is coming from Grib_pi, so that data is what would have to be used. It would be very nice to have a Grib_pi tabular weather data chart that is similar or identical but for the Weather_routing_pi Optimal Route!
Old 10-05-2018, 14:33   #1555

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40' or is it 39'?? :-)

Dear Rick,

what I am envisioning is something like the export of the optimal route, together with the weather (grib - or maybe an indication it is taken from climatology) together with every point that is recorded in the exported weather-route (the track). Does this clarify my point ?

When you step through the grib file you see - in the grib intervalls this little circle which follows the route. If this grib info would be put into the exported daa that - I believe - would be interesting (one could even think about putting in the extrapolated data (if the grib interval is longer than the time-step selected in the configuration for the weatherroute) - in that case I think it would be necessary to also indicate that that individual point has extrapolated data.

However, the main thing I currently see would be the simple possibility to create a weather routing point directly from the context menu of a mark or waypoint or from the route manager.

However, I am absolutely content to wait until there is time to review these points at a convenient time and then make a qualified decision. I am happy, with what I have and don't want to keep anybody busy unnecessarily, ok??

Best regards, Uwe
HUR450502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 18:04   #1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Thanks Sean - appears that Draw is the culprit as "Compute All" worked fine after disabling it and unchecking 'Detect Boundary' in theWeather Route Configuration file.

Problem now is that I use boundaries extensively to mark islands and reefs in the Pacific that to not show up on GSHHG.
Kevin, perhaps we need to have an example that causes the crash or some error codes and Jon Gough could look at the crash problem to get it fixed.

Also what version of Ocpn_Draw are you using? Ocpn_Draw_Plugiin_1.4.4.pkg?
Old 13-05-2018, 21:16   #1557

Boat: Nauticat 32

Installed WR 1.10.1pkg on my mac running MacOS 10.13.4. Like someone else posted, WR works great, computes great routes form Catalina to Cabo without a problem. When you hit "Export", WR instantly kills O.

Is there a new version on the horizon which can fix it? I'm not much of a programmer, but is there a way I can report what's happening for a fix?
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 02:38   #1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereus32 View Post
Installed WR 1.10.1pkg on my mac running MacOS 10.13.4. Like someone else posted, WR works great, computes great routes form Catalina to Cabo without a problem. When you hit "Export", WR instantly kills O.

Is there a new version on the horizon which can fix it? I'm not much of a programmer, but is there a way I can report what's happening for a fix?

You could try the following build: https://github.com/ptulp/weather_rou...es/tag/v1.12.0

It does not include the latest fixes but should work.

Regards,
Peter
ptulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 05:42   #1559

New update to WR for Windows, etc.
https://github.com/rgleason/weather_...s/tag/v1.12.0f
Old 23-05-2018, 04:47   #1560

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Hi all, first thanks for all the hard work on improving the weather routing plugin! Noted that wind barbs have been added to the projected track which is very useful and a colour indicating the comfort conditions. Nice.

A lot of crashes happened though when trying to route from Newport harbour around an exclusion zone. Moving the start position beyond the exclusion zone helped, including using 1 hour timesteps instead of 3 hr steps which resulted in an immediate crash. Also tried the batch calculation which is very handy, but it resulted in an immediate crash too.

I use this plugin a lot for routing ocean races like the current edtion of the Volvo Ocean Rave (VOR) or Vendée Globe. See an example of this morning for the VOR leg 9 in the picture. These routing are posted on Twitter and Sailing Anarchy so hundreds of people see this tool being used.

As I follow the race I do +/- once per day an update and route the same boats from their new position. This is quite a time consuming business to do, as I first have to delete all previous weather routing positions and than add back the new ones typing in their unchanged names and changed positions. Is it possible to add a feature that the weather positions of boats can be adjusted manually, like when the first time entered, instead of only deleted?

Adjusting the XML file is another option, but I would have to do a manual conversion of the lat/lon format first, so is not very handy for a fleet of boats.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Herman

Herman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, weather