Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 02:10   #1726

Boat: SY 40ft one-off
Re: Weather Routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Scud you did all of us a dis service by pasting your ini in directly. It should have been attached as a doc or pdf file. I may ask a friend / mod to remove that posting. I just want you to understand why.
Sean has made some suggestions for you to try below.
Pls remove it at your wish.
My apologies
Simply I was pissed off because the limitation to 400bytes on .txt files makes everything more complicated and for the n-th time the .doc file created by my open source word had been rejected . So I pasred it. Sorry
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:06   #1727

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yes, understood. Thankyou. I agree about attachments. One way around the restriction on txt and doc files is to simply add .pdf to the end and advise to remove it after download. Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 13:03   #1728

Boat: Lagoon 500

I am having trouble getting Route Position to report correctly after I calculate a Weather Route. The Weather Route calculates perfectly, but the Route Position will only report data for a single position just after the start of the Weather Route. That position is shown as a Blue O on the Weather Route.

The Magenta O progresses along the Weather Route, but the Route Position information window does not change. Am I mistaken to assume that the Route Position data should show the information about the Magenta O progressing along the Weather Route?

I am using OpenCPN_5.0.1+0266678 for Mac, Climatology-Plugin-macOS-ov50_1.4, Weather_routing-Plugin-macOS-ov50_1.13.0.

Fabulous work everyone on the development team. OpenCPN_5 and WR_pi work perfectly for me.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 21:12   #1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
I am having trouble getting Route Position to report correctly after I calculate a Weather Route. The Weather Route calculates perfectly, but the Route Position will only report data for a single position just after the start of the Weather Route. That position is shown as a Blue O on the Weather Route.

The Magenta O progresses along the Weather Route, but the Route Position information window does not change. Am I mistaken to assume that the Route Position data should show the information about the Magenta O progressing along the Weather Route?

I am using OpenCPN_5.0.1+0266678 for Mac, Climatology-Plugin-macOS-ov50_1.4, Weather_routing-Plugin-macOS-ov50_1.13.0.

Fabulous work everyone on the development team. OpenCPN_5 and WR_pi work perfectly for me.
Found that the Route Position reported is for the very first calculation position on the Weather Route. The Route Position does not progress beyond this.

Is there a way of recording for later viewing, the weather forecast conditions along the Weather Route?
Old 23-08-2019, 07:05   #1730

I wish to report what to me looks like a small bug to fix.
I was planning a WR course from Island of Lastovo heading to the easternmost point of Mlijet by sailing upwind in the channel between islands of Korkula and Mlijet / and I had chcked the "detect land" checkbox but WR didn't see at all Mlijet apparently and wanted me sailing across the ground.

Did I miss something? charts are CM93
Old 23-08-2019, 07:29   #1731

Scud, have you read the wxroute manual carefully?
Have you installed high res background landmass outline?
Even this is not totally detailed, but helps a lot.
Old 23-08-2019, 07:48   #1732

noooooope!
I stand rebuked!
I'm zipping my lips and I'll try asap
Old 23-08-2019, 10:32   #1733

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud View Post
noooooope!
I stand rebuked!
I'm zipping my lips and I'll try asap
Also have a look at OCPN Draw and the use of Boundaries. Boundaries are a great tool when the GSHHG charts (hi density base maps) are not well defined.

I ran a WR from the western point of Lastovo to the eastern point of Mljet with 'Detect Land' checked and it worked fine for me.
Old 23-08-2019, 14:04   #1734

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I've come back to the weather routing plugin now that it's available for OCPN 5.

I have installed gshhs, climatology, a current grib file 12km resolution.

If I select the pre-installed power boat, and set a start point in the middle of nowhere, and end point in the middle of nohwere it will work.

If I do the same, and set a start point within 5 miles of land, and end point similar. The distance between both 8nm. It comes up Polar:Failed.

Can anyone tell me what is happening? It makes it impossible to use at the moment, and this is with the simple pre-installed power boat polar and a route that should be a straight line.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 16:38   #1735

Mike, I sound like a crackpot here, but read the bottom of the manual discussion about adjusting settings to the the routings to work.

If you zoom in to the routing you should see why it failed or at least get an idea. Normally, when trying to route along complex shorelines, I have to set the interval much smaller which means the routing will take longer. Also there are other settings which may be needed, depending on how much of a turn is required in the routing, or other settings.

Often I will move a start or destination out away from the shoreline to be sure it is working. Then move the route start and end back and start working on changes to the settings to make it work.

Hope that helps, there is more detail in the manual about this.
Old 23-08-2019, 22:26   #1736

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I've come back to the weather routing plugin now that it's available for OCPN 5.

I have installed gshhs, climatology, a current grib file 12km resolution.

If I select the pre-installed power boat, and set a start point in the middle of nowhere, and end point in the middle of nohwere it will work.

If I do the same, and set a start point within 5 miles of land, and end point similar. The distance between both 8nm. It comes up Polar:Failed.

Can anyone tell me what is happening? It makes it impossible to use at the moment, and this is with the simple pre-installed power boat polar and a route that should be a straight line.
As Rick said, you sometimes have to play around with the settings, especially when close to land. Especially look at what the Grib file is telling you and make sure that the forecast conditions are not exceeding the weather settings in your Weather Routing Configuration. The other common problem area is with using an inappropriate Polar or combination of Polars.

Try these settings in Weather Routing Configuration:
Boat: Make sure you have selected an appropriate Polar for your boat
Maximum Diverted Course '160'
Maximum True Wind '40' (I use 30)
Maximum Apparent Wind '40' (I use 30)
Maximum Swell '5' (I use 3)
Time Step '15 minutes' (I use 3 hrs for long voyages)
Detect Land 'check'
Boundaries 'leave unchecked' (I use boundaries but that is another whole subject)
Grib 'check'
Climatology 'Most Likely'
Under the Advanced Tab:
Maximum Latitude '90'
Wind vs Current '0'
Maximum Course Angle '180'
Maximum Search Angle '100'
Leave rest at default values

I have found OCN5 and the latest WR-pi to be almost bomb proof - great job guys.
Old 24-08-2019, 11:49   #1737

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Found that the Route Position reported is for the very first calculation position on the Weather Route. The Route Position does not progress beyond this.

Is there a way of recording for later viewing, the weather forecast conditions along the Weather Route?
Further to the Route Position issue. I have discovered that the Route Position gets reported correctly for the 2nd half of a long journey, for instance, Tahiti to Cairns. It will not report anything for the first half of the journey. For short journeys, for example, Tahiti to Raiatea, only the very first calculation is reported on the Route Position.

I am using MacOS Mojave, OCPN5 and Weather_routing-Plugin-macOS-ov50_1.13.0.
Old 24-08-2019, 15:13   #1738

Kevinh, I like your list. I wonder if this occurs just with just MacOs? Is there data available to retest with Win?

Also are you referring to View - Report? Which shows conditions during the route on the calc route? Are there any frwd back buttons or arrows?
Old 24-08-2019, 17:06   #1739

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Kevinh, I like your list. I wonder if this occurs just with just MacOs? Is there data available to retest with Win?

Also are you referring to View - Report? Which shows conditions during the route on the calc route? Are there any frwd back buttons or arrows?
Hi Rick - nice to hear from you again. See if the same Route Position issue occurs under OCPN5 for Windows. Use the Weather Routing Configuration information shown in my earlier post.

For the long journey, create Weather Route Positions for Tahiti and for Cairns (Aust), set the Time Steps to 6 hours. As I said, with the Mac, the Route Position under View (not Report under View) will report correctly (little blue O follows the cursor along the Weather Route and the Route Position window shows the changing values) for the 2nd half of the journey, but it reports nothing for the 1st half (little blue O disappears and the Route Position window will not update).

For the short journey, create Weather Route Positions for Tahiti and Raiatea (French Polynesia) and set the Time Steps to 30 minutes. The Route Position window shows only the very first calculation along the Weather Route and the little blue O on the Weather Route remains at the very 1st calculation point.

The Route Position window would be a great tool if it was working properly.

Another question I asked about earlier was if it was possible to include the forecast weather information with the route information exported from the Weather Routing - WeatherRoutingConfiguration window?

Best regards - Kevin
Old 24-08-2019, 17:38   #1740

Kevin wrote
Another question I asked about earlier was if it was possible to include the forecast weather information with the route information exported from the Weather Routing - WeatherRoutingConfiguration window?

Best regards - Kevin

--Boy would that be nice To have! Have asked about this in several ways. The data is in grib, so it involes 2 plugins.

Tags
paracelle, weather