Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 09:48   #1741

Boat: Lagoon 500
Re: Weather Routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Kevin wrote
Another question I asked about earlier was if it was possible to include the forecast weather information with the route information exported from the Weather Routing - WeatherRoutingConfiguration window?

Best regards - Kevin

--Boy would that be nice To have! Have asked about this in several ways. The data is in grib, so it involes 2 plugins.
Yeh, the info is all there in in one place - the Route Route Position window. Just need a way to output it to a file. Should be a breeze for Sean if he has the time.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 11:33   #1742

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Actually, I believe it is in two places and it is not as easy as you say it is.

Additionally, more useful would be a tabular format, similar to grib data window showing weather and sailing data at regular points along the optimal route, including sail changes and low and high wind and waves.

I believe did-g made some of the cusor improvements along with another very talented user, and I am sorry but I've forgotten his name. The made lots of good solid indicators for signaling conditions to users.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 13:10   #1743

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Yeh, the info is all there in in one place - the Route Route Position window. Just need a way to output it to a file. Should be a breeze for Sean if he has the time.
What is your desired end result? For use with another program?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 12:53   #1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
What is your desired end result? For use with another program?
Good question Sean - not sure of another application that could read the combined file. Would probably view it in a text file or in a spreadsheet where I could compare conditions in tabular form along the weather route.

Back to my issue with the Route Position under View - I have just discovered that so long as the weather route remains in the Eastern Hemisphere (000E - 180E), then the Route Position window reports correctly. It does not work if the weather route is in the Western Hemisphere (000W - 180W). It the weather route crosses the IDL (180W/E), then the Route Position window reports the Eastern side correctly, but it does not report the Western side.

Unfortunately, all of my sailing is around French Polynesia for now, and the Route Position window does not work for me.

The info in the Route Position is fantastic - I really like the way that you can trace the cursor along the weather route and see the info in the Route Position window.
Old 26-08-2019, 16:22   #1745

kevinh
Quote:
..could compare conditions in tabular form along the weather route....

Why not have this inside wxroute so it is more convenient?
See:

https://github.com/seandepagnier/wea...g_pi/issues/80
and
https://github.com/seandepagnier/wea...ment-394089788

and
https://github.com/seandepagnier/wea...g_pi/issues/94
Old 21-09-2019, 09:03   #1746

Hello everybody,

can someone tell me whether the "Wind Barbs On Route" are apparent or true wind?

Thanks,
Daniel
d-beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 09:20   #1747

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

Hi Daniel,

You decide in the setup.

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 09:42   #1748

Oh, great!

I've been overlooking that check box.
d-beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 18:01   #1749

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-beam View Post
Hello everybody,

can someone tell me whether the "Wind Barbs On Route" are apparent or true wind?

Thanks,
Daniel

Started out as Apparent

https://github.com/seandepagnier/wea...ng_pi/pull/224
Old 12-11-2019, 02:52   #1750

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40' or is it 39'?? :-)

.... one point I saw was: When exporting the calculated weatherroute, it is exported as a track. When converting this track to a route, the timestamps in the route do not correspond to the source track but use the current time and date of the computer. Also the default speed parameters for route-creation are being used.

Has anybody realised this? Do I do something wrong? If not, has this any consequences to the route information, especially, if you - at a later time - do the "route analysis" with newer GRIB data?

Has anybody information about this??

Best regards,

Uwe
HUR450502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:37   #1751

You are doing everything right. To achieve what you want:
Convert the WeatherTrack to a Weather Route as you have done. In Route & Track Manager, click on the Properties for the Weather Route and change the Departure and Time options to those of your liking. Click OK and export the Weather Route.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:32   #1752

... thanks a lot Kevin, that is, what I did. However, I think the two poiints may be worthwhile to address:

1. Creating the route from the track with the track's date and time-stamps
2. Using the track's calculated speed data instead of the route-defaults. (This btw is not changed by changing the start date and time manually).

Anyway, I can live with what is there right now - the changes are more or less "cosmetics" - but you know ....

However, this does not take anything away from my admiration to these great tools.... :-)

Best regards,

Uwe
Old 12-11-2019, 12:29   #1753

... ok, I digged a bit deeper into this and I found, that the route created from the weather-route (which appears to be a track) cannot be used for further analysis. Already at the first waypoint it breaks with a polar error (in my case). Reason - I think - is, that the default speed defined for routes is being used and the time calculated for the waypoint distance is based on this, breaks the analysis of the route e.g.:

The weather-route (track) calculates a boat speed of 8 knots. The waypoint is 8 miles away frim the starting point. For the next point it calculates 7.5 knots, which means the next waypoint is 7.5 miles away (I used a 1 hour sampling for the weather route calculation.

Now, you convert this weather route (track) into a route. For routes you have defined a default speed of 6 knots. So you see a speed of 6 knots!! but a time of 1 hour 20 minutes for the first leg, then for the next leg you read again a speed of 6 knots, but a time calculated of 1 hour 15 minutes - etc. ...

This means, you can almost never alnalyze a route with different GRIBs and different times....

At least this is, what I see. Am I wrong completely?

Maybe when Sean has some time to spare he can have a look into this?

Thanks alot again, and

best regards, Uwe
Old 12-11-2019, 18:52   #1754

Uwe, I think this needs to be addressed. Can you post your clear description in Tracker and then add the link here? I will then make sure that github Issues has it too.

Thanks.
Old 13-11-2019, 05:35   #1755

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

We have been cruising for the last year in very out of the way places, so I am behind on things internet. So forgive me if I ask a question that has been asked and answered before. I did try a search on the thread, and paging back 4-5 pages through the forum thread, with no luck.

I am finally "proficient" with Weather Routing. And super fantastic kudos to Sean and all the other helpers--coders-testers-documenters. It wouldn't be what is today without all of your hard work and input.

I am running 2 systems on Windows 10... my old 4.6.8 with WR 1.12.1 and "standalone (USB Stick-based)" 5.0.x (whatever is current on the website) with 1.13.1. I THINK I have the "standalone" (USB stick) set up correctly, having edited the xml files that WR uses to point to the files in the right places.

I have 2 issues:

1. Neither version seems to recognize an OSCAR current GRIB. This is something produced by the US (some portion of NASA/NWS) and it comes out about once a week and is dated a few days ago whenever we get it. (older versions did recognize the OSCAR current files).
2. The 5.0 version running "standalone" off a USB stick using the same weather files, weather routes and polars, ends up routing over land. The 4.8.6 version, with the same weather, polars, and route does not. I have made used OCPNDraw to keep it from running over land, but the earlier version does not need this extra bhassle.

I if my high resolution GSHHS files are being recognized. Initially I started out with them in the same location for 5.0 that they are for 4.8.x (in the Program Data\Opencpn folder) But I kept looking at help files and eventually downloaded them (via the Chart Downloader.) I now have the hi res files in 3 or 4 places, yet the Weather Routing is still routing over land. It may be because my O5 is still running off a USB stick (I don't trust it for my main version yet).

Where does Weather Routing expect the high res coastal outline files to be? exactly (what INI file parameter, for example)
Why doesn't Weather Routing recognize my 3 day old OSCAR grib file? (for currents). I have been having to route using the wind grib and "use climamtology" for current. Unfortunately where I am in the world, the only current data I can get for free is the OSCAR data.

Other than these two issues, it's an awesome tool. We've been doing a lot of passagemaking and this has been very helpful.

Sherry s/v Soggy Paws
Enroute from Indonesia to the Philippines
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, weather