Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 13:58   #1786

Boat: Allegro 33
Re: Weather Routing

Thanks Rick,

Now it read in both.
Although I am not sure it really takes in account the current.
I will do some more testing and get back.

/Hans
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:11   #1787

Yes, it seems to work with ocean current data.
I set a start and end point just next to the Gulf stream and it did take advantage of current.
One thing I would like to see in the report is a table where you can see your wind angle and speed you are expected to perform by the hour or 3 hours or whatever. The information is clearly there but nor presented in the way I would like.
/Hans
Old 16-04-2020, 00:07   #1788

I may have found a bug in Weather Routing pi. The error happens when I introduce a boundary. I get "Polar : Boundary Failed" See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WR.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	212965  
Old 17-04-2020, 01:48   #1789

Re: Test Weather_routing Plugin Manager

Hi,
I am 'playing' with opencpn and WR with the latest stable versions (5.0.0 and 1.13 respectively) on Ubuntu. I am happy to help you with this testing but not sure where / how I should download the alpha versions. If you can help me with that I am happy to help test.

I have my own issue though, and I hope it is a simple one although i cant see anything in the doc's that helps. Sometimes when i Compute a WR it shows as Complete but is green on the chart instead of magenta and there is no way i can select (right click) it to delve into the detail. What does a green weather route indicate and how can i fix this?

Hope we can help each other.
crockell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 05:38   #1790

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockell View Post
Hi,
I am 'playing' with opencpn and WR with the latest stable versions (5.0.0 and 1.13 respectively) on Ubuntu. I am happy to help you with this testing but not sure where / how I should download the alpha versions. If you can help me with that I am happy to help test.

I have my own issue though, and I hope it is a simple one although i cant see anything in the doc's that helps. Sometimes when i Compute a WR it shows as Complete but is green on the chart instead of magenta and there is no way i can select (right click) it to delve into the detail. What does a green weather route indicate and how can i fix this?

Hope we can help each other.

Climatology Data vs grib?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ting_look_like

Standby, on testing. We are now focused on PI Management & installation. Hope to get to this plugin soon.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 16:46   #1791

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Climatology Data vs grib?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ting_look_like

Standby, on testing. We are now focused on PI Management & installation. Hope to get to this plugin soon.

Thanks Rick,
...and thanks for this really cool app / plugin. I love the Open concept of OpenCPN and I love how cool the weather routing plugin is.

I worked out why my route is green, i had "Display Sailing Comfort on Route" turned on. My route now looks as it should, complete with blue / green isochrones since the entire route is within my grib.

I am still missing something though, as when I hover over the route line I don't see the info window come up, and I cant right-click on it to see more detail as I was able to a couple of days ago. It has to be something I'm doing i think...

I'll stand by to help with testing.
Old 18-04-2020, 03:34   #1792

Is there a checkbox.under View? Statistics?
Old 18-04-2020, 19:02   #1793

Quote:
Is there a checkbox.under View? Statistics?

View / Statistics brings up a little window showing calculation stats;
Run time, State, Isochrones, Routes etc.
View / Report is working too, and shows a very useful summary of the route;
Distance, Avg speed, Avg wind, Avg swell, Upwind % etc.

Just can't see the yellow summary window when hovering over the magenta route, and can't right-click on the route for the sub-menu. The frustrating thing is that this has worked and I can't bring it back!

Outside the scope of this forum but it would be cool to have the right-click options under the view menu as well...
Old 19-04-2020, 04:21   #1794

The yellow box seems to be missing and there is no Settings option for it. Please submit a tracker item. Meanwhile use the Route Position Box.

You know that grib_pi also has cursor information re winds etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (677).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	213196  
Old 19-04-2020, 23:08   #1795

Quote:
The yellow box seems to be missing and there is no Settings option for it. Please submit a tracker item. Meanwhile use the Route Position Box.

You know that grib_pi also has cursor information re winds etc.

Thanks again for the quick responses!
I have just updated my laptop to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and managed to damage my apt cache in the process. Solved that now but in the process have myself in the position where I cant get the weatherrouting PPA package until there is one available for "focal" 20.04.

I won't keep badgering you (or raise a tracker item) until I have OpenCPN fully functional again, but please let me know when I can help with testing?

Chris
Old 07-05-2020, 17:45   #1796

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockell View Post
Thanks again for the quick responses!
I have just updated my laptop to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and managed to damage my apt cache in the process. Solved that now but in the process have myself in the position where I cant get the weatherrouting PPA package until there is one available for "focal" 20.04.

I won't keep badgering you (or raise a tracker item) until I have OpenCPN fully functional again, but please let me know when I can help with testing?

Chris

Just wanted to say I have installed OpenCPN 5.1.428 and it looks really cool. Plugin handling will be a lot easier I think.

I can't yet see the Weather Routing plugin on either the Master or Beta catalogues, but I expect that is because it is still a work in progress?
Am I right to think I should use the Beta catalogue since I am running the beta version of OpenCPN?

regards,
Chris
Old 07-05-2020, 20:09   #1797

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

On windows with 5.1.428 installed, at first there was no Weather Routing in the Plugins list. But when a friend emailed me that a new plugin was available, here's what I did to see it in the Plugins List. This is the new feature they are working on.

Go to Options / Plugins
In the lower left of the window there is a button
"Update Plugin: Master"
Click on that button, and the plugin program will go to the internet and get a new list of what plugins are available (hopefully with some version specifics)
After that, the weather routing PI showed up as available in the list.
Clicking on one that is listed but greyed out, will cause it to be downloaded.
Then you enable and configure as you did in the past with plugins you manually installed.

I haven't had time to actually run this version of the Weather Routing, but I did get it installed.

Thanks to our developers for continuing development!!
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:05   #1798

Thanks SoggyPaws,

That is pretty well how I expected it to behave, although I am running on a Ubuntu Linux PC.
I can see the 'system' plugins and if i choose the Master catalogue I can see the oeRNC, oeSENC, and VDR plugins greyed out because I haven't downloaded them. I can't see them on the Bets catalogue though, and I can't see Climatology, Weather Routing etc whichever of Master or Beta catalogues I choose.
I suspect the Windows plugin migration is happening a lot quicker than the Linux versions, and that they will show up eventually. If anybody knows better than this, or can tell me what I am doing wrong I will be grateful.

Chris
Old 08-05-2020, 02:40   #1799

Chris
Did you hit update master catalog?
You should see wxrouting and watchdog now.
I have not tested this on ubuntu 18.04 cant see to install the beta version yet, but perhaps you can try them. A pull request to plugins master catalog added new versions 2 days ago.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:58   #1800

Beta testers using the Beta version only! As a last resort you can download the right tarball from here and install using Import Plugin

Tags
paracelle, weather