Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2021, 09:31   #2011

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Weather Routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Actually, the program app is Sailgrib.
Correct, sorry for switching the words around. My bad.
Thanks for correcting it.
Old 31-12-2021, 19:39   #2012

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Franziska. Happy New Year. This year will be much better.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:07   #2013

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Franziska. Happy New Year. This year will be much better.
Yes it will!
We are hoping to finally cast off heading south in Mai/June.
Old 18-01-2022, 01:35   #2014

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

Hi guys, we have just gotten underway for a long sailing season through Indonesia. I have been using Weather Routing before, but haven't for a few months.
I am trying to get it working again...I mistakenly updated all my plugins just before we left good internet...
I am still on O 5.2.4 on Windows 10 because the latest version has a bug that makes it very difficult to make CM93 chart modifications. Where most people sail this is not needed, but where we sail (western Pacific, Philippines, and Indonesia) the CM93 charts are notoriously bad (even brand new paid copies, and even Navionics).
What version of WR for Windows, and Grib, and Climatology, will work well for O 5.2.4? I see a bunch of different versions of different stuff in the "cache" folder.
My first problem is the "latest" version of Climatology appears to update and install, but does not show up as an icon on the menu. I tried to revert to a previous version (.23) but it doesn't show on the menu bar either.
Reading back a few posts, it seems there is some kind of problem with the latest versions crashing OpenCPN?
I have some tarballs hanging around in several places, can anyone tell me which ones work well together with 5.2.4 on Windows??
I have WR versions 1.13.20, 28, 30, 35
I have Climatology v 1.4.23 and 1.4.39
And I may have more versions on my other computer.
Thanks
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 04:54   #2015

The plugin manager changed in v5.6.0 to support installing tarballs by using metadata files. V5.6.0 still supports package installations the legacy way.
The difference is where the files install to. Initially the tarball files in PIM are installed to a non writable directory owned by the application. (Path depends on OS). If data files are writeable by the user, they are copied to the directory used earlier.

So now we are trying to find a plugin version that will work with v5.2.4.
Any package installed plugin should work easily.

I believe Tarballs can work if you just expand them and move the parts into the right locations using the new write protected directories, because that is the way the plugin is wired. However there may be an issue because the API was expanded with some new file procedures that 5.2.4 would not be aware of.

Therefore it would be best to use packaged plugins.

I will look at the specifics later.
Old 18-01-2022, 04:58   #2016

The rule is that old plugins should work as long as there is not a change in wxwidgets version or some other break.

You dont want to try to do the reverse of that.
Old 18-01-2022, 05:02   #2017

What is the problem with cm93 in 5.6.0? Is it with the ability to adjust the offset?
Old 18-01-2022, 05:58   #2018

You call this a "bug"? Have you reported it in tracker? I think you should just upgrade to 5.6.0

Quote:
I am still on O 5.2.4 on Windows 10 because the latest version has a bug that makes it very difficult to make CM93 chart modifications. Where most people sail this is not needed, but where we sail (western Pacific, Philippines, and Indonesia) the CM93 charts are notoriously bad (even brand new paid copies, and even Navionics).
Old 18-01-2022, 06:06   #2019

Unfortunately, I've moved to a new laptop due to gremlins in my 11 yr old, and I do not have a 5.2.4 installation or the plugins and cannot help.
Old 18-01-2022, 06:48   #2020

Quote:
You call this a "bug"? Have you reported it in tracker? I think you should just upgrade to 5.6.0
Yes, I did report the problem with modifying the offsets in Flyspray. Yep, it's a bug and something fairly significant in my world. But not many others' world.

We are really off the map cruisers... cruising in places with crappy charts, where your track often goes over dry land. It helps to be able to move the CM93 chart to somewhat reflect reality. The new bug makes that more difficult, because as soon as you turn quilting off, the CM93 chart disappears. Kinda hard to make micro adjustments to the chart when you can't see the chart you are trying to adjust. You can work around it but it makes an already tedious process more tedious.

I did find and download the .26 version of Climatology and it did appear to install correctly, and the behavior appears normal. I was able to complete my weather routing. We are off on an 80 mile leg at "sparrow fart" (a British sailing term akin to Oh-Dark-30) in the morning.

We will be in and out of internet as we make our way south from Philippines (with poor CM93 charts) to Indonesia (with poor CM93 charts). we are heavy users of Sat2Chart and rely on that for our primary anchoring navigation. But the overview on passage, it's nice to have a real chart, even if the islands are 1/2 mile offset.

I do have 5.2.6 installed on my other (non-navigation) computer. But the navigation computer is too important to just slam in an upgrade just because you guys say it's ready for prime time.

Thanks for all your good work. Sorry I didn't make the effort to participate in the 5.2.5 beta, where I might have been able to identify the CM93 offset problem sooner.
Old 18-01-2022, 10:32   #2021

Good luck on your voyage. Very glad you found a climatology that works and were able to do the routing. I will add a link in tracker back to this more recent report of yours.
Old 29-01-2022, 00:34   #2022

Climatology Plugin crashes if changing Month from Jan->Feb with dates greater than 28.

(easily repeatable at least in my environment on 2 different W10 computers with 2 different versions of OpenCPN (5.2.4 and 5.2.6), with 2 different versions of Climatology (.39 and .26).

I have entered an Issue on Sean's Github for Climatology. I have not entered in Flyspray... should I?

Workaround: Change date first to a date < 29, then change month.

Sherry
Old 29-01-2022, 06:38   #2023

Sherry, you need to update to OpenCPN 5.6.0 and use Climatology 1.13.39 it works fine for me on Windows 10. I don't know why you are able to set a day in this plugin, I believe that has not been the case for years. There was one problem associated with this on MacOS.

Also please see this regarding CM93 and offsets. It will be fixed, Dave knows about it. These issues are related.

https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/issues/2521
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/issues/2523
Old 29-01-2022, 09:02   #2024

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws View Post
Climatology Plugin crashes if changing Month from Jan->Feb with dates greater than 28.

(easily repeatable at least in my environment on 2 different W10 computers with 2 different versions of OpenCPN (5.2.4 and 5.2.6), with 2 different versions of Climatology (.39 and .26).

I have entered an Issue on Sean's Github for Climatology. I have not entered in Flyspray... should I?

Workaround: Change date first to a date < 29, then change month.

Sherry
Ran your test with latest Climatology and the same thing happens to me.

OpenCPN 5.6.1 for MacOS
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
MacOS Monterey V12.1
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 14:30   #2025

I AM running the latest OpenCPN 5.6.0 and the 1.4.39 copy of Climatology, on one computer. My Nav computer is running 5.4.x and the 1.4.26 version of Climatology.

Both crash OpenCPN if the date is Jan 29, 30, or 31 and you change the month to Feb. And the date picker IS still there and has been there since day 1, I believe. This from 5.6.0 + 1.4.39

Sorry can't seem to figure out how to attach an image, but here's the image by URL http://svsoggypaws.com/files/Climatology.jpg

Sherry

Tags
paracelle, weather