Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 05:28   #301
ahi

Re: Weather Routing

Hi!

I have rebuild OpenCPN, climatology and weather routing from git as of now (2013-6-27, ~12:00 UTC) and also have new data downloaded for climatology. I am able to view current and prevalent wind without a Problem.

When I start weather routing, the error message "Climatology plugin version not supported..." resurfaces again and under routing configuration data source "Grib" and "Climatology" are both grayed out.

I have no current GRIB data, but IMO Climatology should still work!

After changing the version check in plugins/weather_routing_pi/src/weather_routing_pi.cpp line 235 to 0.3 i was able to succesfully find a route with climatology data.

Best regards
Andreas
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 05:50   #302
ahi

Acces to new beta quality debian packages (Wheezy, amd64) is available via Index of /~ahi/OpenCPN

Andreas
Old 27-06-2013, 06:31   #303

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
I have rebuild OpenCPN, climatology and weather routing from git as of now (2013-6-27, ~12:00 UTC) and also have new data downloaded for climatology. I am able to view current and prevalent wind without a Problem.
-Good

Quote:
When I start weather routing, the error message "Climatology plugin version not supported..." resurfaces again and under routing configuration data source "Grib" and "Climatology" are both grayed out.
Might this be because you have not opened Climatology and you have not opened Grib with a recent Grib file?

Quote:
I have no current GRIB data, but IMO Climatology should still work!
If climatology is open, and you see data, there should be an checkbox that is not greyed to enable Climatology in Weather_routing Config

Quote:
After changing the version check in plugins/weather_routing_pi/src/weather_routing_pi.cpp line 235 to 0.3 i was able to succesfully find a route with climatology data.
Humm interesting, don't know why that was necessary. Will look in to it further. Please advise re conditions above. Sean is still available and I have not yet put most recent version up with changes from yesterday, trying to complete compiling of last set of changes.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 07:34   #304
ahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Might this be because you have not opened Climatology and you have not opened Grib with a recent Grib file?
No GRIB data (on purpose), but Climatology was open and active. The new weatherrouting_pi checks for climatology 0.1 or 0.2; but climatology_pi is version 0.3 in git.

Andreas
Old 27-06-2013, 07:41   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
No GRIB data (on purpose), but Climatology was open and active. The new weatherrouting_pi checks for climatology 0.1 or 0.2; but climatology_pi is version 0.3 in git.

Andreas
There was a code correction on the check of the climatology version. Strange this error still pops up.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 12:01   #306

Hi,

I'm playing around with the polar option. It says it can load a file. I assume a CSV-file, however when I press 'open' in the polar tab, it show "XML Weather Routing (*.cvs)". Please notice the difference in the file extension. What should be the extension?

The other thing, what should be the lay-out of the polar data file?

thanks for your reply!
Old 27-06-2013, 17:26   #307

George, I would suggest posting on Plugin Polar thread, and possibly look for Konni as he is the one who programmed it, and possibly send a private message if the messge will not be helpful to all, or if you'd like to compliment him or perhaps ask a technical question, or coordinate things.

I would suggest saving out a polar file and then try loading it. It sounds like it is in XML format which is an excellent format to use. He has probably made his own definition file for polar, as it is a process to get that officially approved, but that does not matter. Your editor if it is a decent one will show XML format in a very pretty fashion, indented, colored, etc. I believe Word willl also show this. Then open the file in your editor to see the format or perhaps EXcel. If you can show an example of the format on the Plugin Polar thread, and describe where line feeds and tabs etc are that might be helpful to all of us.

We will then have to compare this to the polar file needed for Weather_routing and perhaps we can get them to "round trip" easily.

When I get some time to look at this more closely, I will, but I have other things that must be done on Sean's plugins.
Old 28-06-2013, 06:37   #308

I'd like to confirm Ahi's report:
Quote:
"When I start weather routing, the error message "Climatology plugin version not supported..."
weather_routing_pi.cpp line 235 reads:
Quote:
if( major != 0 || (minor != 1 && minor != 2)) {
change it to
Quote:
if( major != 0 || (minor != 1 && minor != 3)) {
earlier in this thread I believe, Pavel made some suggestions which were to use a > sign. I'm going to look that up and post it below.

It appears Sean may have not picked up on ChuckSK's smart advice and programming and Pavel's suggestion to use a greater than sign. (Probably because we may be changing the Climatology Data set in the future, by adding other types of data!) thus using the greater than sign might not be a good idea?

Anyway I will recompile and update the plugins again once it is working. Ahi thankyou for your investigation and solution.
Old 28-06-2013, 06:50   #309

Found Pavel's Post 254 with his suggestions, after George64's suggestion.

Rick...
What George shows is exactly the place you have to touch, obviously 2 is not equal to 1, thus the warning you get with the current version...

The complete fix should probably look something like this to make it easier to maintain and not forget
In weather_routing_pi.h, say at line 35 add
Code:
#define MIN_COMPAT_CLIMATOLOGY_MAJOR 0 
        #define MIN_COMPAT_CLIMATOLOGY_MINOR 2
and if( major != 0 || minor != 1) { in weather_routing_pi.h:233 to

Code:
if( major < MIN_COMPAT_CLIMATOLOGY_MAJOR || minor < MIN_COMPAT_CLIMATOLOGY_MINOR) {
@George...

Since we know about this, I am just going to change the Minor number for now.
====

ChuckSK's suggestion was about a different problem: "This patch should fix the "list iterator not incrementable" assert error when executing the MSVC debug version of Weather Routing." Post 275 which I believe Sean changed.
Old 28-06-2013, 07:08   #310

The || opererator means OR, so:
Code:
#define MIN_COMPAT_CLIMATOLOGY_MAJOR 0 
        #define MIN_COMPAT_CLIMATOLOGY_MINOR 2
Code:
if( major < MIN_COMPAT_CLIMATOLOGY_MAJOR || minor < MIN_COMPAT_CLIMATOLOGY_MINOR) {
means if one of the two equations is true, the whole equation is true.

For example
if ( major < 0 || minor <2 )

major = 0
minor = 0
expression = T

major = 1
minor = 0
expression = T

major = 0
minor = 2
expression = F

major = 1
minor = 2
expression = F

major = 1
minor = 3
expression = F

IMHO you should also check in case the equation is less than or equal: =<

I don't know the rest of the code, does or does not the codeafter the if-statement needs to be executed.
Old 28-06-2013, 07:12   #311

Boat: Phantom 19

Rick...
It's not this simple... There actually might be a reason why weather_routing_pi refuses to work with climatology_pi 0.3. If not with the current codebase then with some changes Sean is planning to do. You can't simply change this and assume it will be ok unless you know why it's there...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 08:07   #312

After change of Weather_routing_pi.cpp line 235 from minor version "2" to "3".
in Release version Climatology data can be used. See Post #206
Old 28-06-2013, 08:13   #313

Pavel,

I think I might as well quit trying to nail down jello!!!
Why can't we get it working, freeze it for release, then do improvements later?
With Sean about to leave all the time, we get left with Climatology and Weather_routing stepping out of alignment with every version change for either plugin.

I do not intend to keep compiling this stuff, with different parts breaking all over the place and trying to pull it together.

===Also it seems to work, just as last time.
Old 28-06-2013, 08:28   #314

Also, I know we are still on Climate Data 6, because I have not had to do any changes for Sean.
Old 28-06-2013, 09:52   #315

Boat: Dufour 35

Using the git code from yesterday, I have seen a couple of crashes when closing down the plugin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	route.png
Views:	178
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	63287

Click image for larger version

Name:	route1.png
Views:	204
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	63288

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote