Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15   #346

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Weather Routing

Thanks, Sean for responding. Your candid remarks are helpful.

Visual Passage Planner is using similar climate data and probably a very similar algorithm (except it has two user options for algorithms). Users find that program useful for planning, so think a similar integrated plugin solution for Opencpn would be equally useful.

I believe Climatology & WeatherRouting can be every bit as effective, and probably more so. We just need to test and refine and develop it further. I hope Sean will welcome this constructive dialogue, as a huge credit to what he has already achieved to date! These plugins are being considered by the community in a serious way which is good!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:36   #347

Sean:
Quote:
Currently it only makes sense in areas with very prevailing conditions. In these areas you don't really need a computer to route you normally so I agree it is currently virtually useless for most practical purposes.
Sean, it might help to have user selected calculation routines for use with climatology data, similar to Visual Passage Planner:
Quote:
Preference item for Method of Calculating Wind speed and direction during simulation of passage.
1. Use weighted average of all occurrences
2. Use highest percent occurrence.
Sean:
Quote:
Eventually the idea is the expand the climatology data to include more than just averages, so that with grib data, it can lock on to a past weather pattern, and make a better long term guess. Also possible is to show best/worst/average case scenarios etc.
Wow, I know you have in mind the macro climate factors, similar to the selections in "Cyclones" in Climatology. One of those factors that Cagney suggests is the effect of 500mb jetstream pattern. I don't know how you would do this, or how much work and additional data it would require, but that would be something! I am just wondering if there are improvements fine tuning, that can be made in the algorithm and polar interpretations, before taking that big step?
Old 09-09-2013, 18:49   #348

Tracker VOTING for Plugins has been enabled by Serge. Please VOTE in Tracker for all Plugin projects (upper right dropdown) for the Feature requests you'd like. Also please do make comments and add Feature Requests and Bug Reports. You'll need to register or log in to Vote, add items and make comments.

Tracker VOTING.
WeatherRouting
Old 11-09-2013, 19:56   #349

I opened the link but don't see where I can vote...
Bucaniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 22:31   #350

Boat: BENETEAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucaniere View Post
I opened the link but don't see where I can vote...
Hello,

When browsing the list you have found an item for which you want to vote :
- Click on the ID number (for exemple) for entering into the page giving more details about this item,
- The "voting button" is on the left-handside - just below the "percent complete" status.

AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:08   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by AISEAG View Post

Hello,

When browsing the list you have found an item for which you want to vote :
- Click on the ID number (for exemple) for entering into the page giving more details about this item,
- The "voting button" is on the left-handside - just below the "percent complete" status.

Thanks, I've done!
Bucaniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 11:38   #352

Good day,

Using Weather_routing git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/weather_routing_pi.git from Rick's plugin list I am having problems compiling the WR plugin with O 3.3.827, using Win7.

1>------ Build started: Project: weather_routing_pi, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1> georef.c
1>C:/OpenCPN.3.3.800/include\cutil.h(67): error C2054: expected '(' to follow 'inline'
1>C:/OpenCPN.3.3.800/include\cutil.h(68): error C2085: 'roundint' : not in formal parameter list
1>C:/OpenCPN.3.3.800/include\cutil.h(68): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
1>..\..\..\plugins\weather_routing_pi\src\georef.c (1169): warning C4033: 'DistGreatCircle' must return a value
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Changed 'return' to 'return 0.0' in 'distgreatcircle' and this cured the 'Georef.c' error but the problem with 'cutil.h' remains.

Does anyone have a solution to the problem with 'Cutil.h'?

Using github.com/rgleason/weather_routing_pi.git I get a different (easier to understand) form for the plugin, and the plugin compiles under O 3.3.814. Cutil.h differs in this version of O from that in 3.3.827.

Using Weather_routing git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/weather_routing_pi.git from Rick's plugin list and O 3.3.814 the plugin also compiles fine.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 03:56   #353

Dear Mike,
I tried to compile Weatherfax for windows recently and had similar problems with it. I did not know how to fix them. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1335333

Same cutil.h errors. ...Maybe we ask Pavel! Which I will do next. Perhaps he changed something.

Got any ideas? You seem to be pretty good at this. I'm not really a C++ programer. Did Fortran in college and programmed macros for CAD in pascal for about 5 years, but I run off the road pretty fast. ...maybe I should get a C++ manual?

Sean is likely sailing from Vanuatu, last I heard he was short on the time needed for his macros. I improved the Climatology currents with him and then he was in a rush to go. Got a cryptic note with no details. Hope he is ok.

Your name is familiar. Now I have it. You're the tides guy.
Do you want your plugin listed in Plugin Threads?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-101636.html
Old 15-09-2013, 11:00   #354

Boat: Hylas 44

Mike and Rick

The weather routing overlay and others are using georef.c which includes cutil.h. The source of cutil.h is not specified in the cmake files so the OpenCPN version is used. This version has been changed in the main OpenCPN code so that it is no longer compatible with the C compiler. These overlays should use georef.cpp or specify a cutil.h in the cmake file that is C compatible.

This diff file will fix the weather routing cmake file to eliminate the errors.

Code:
diff --git a/CMakeLists.txt b/CMakeLists.txt
index 2672e9b..8ac6fd4 100644
--- a/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -105,8 +105,11 @@ SET(SRC_WEATHER_ROUTING
             src/WeatherRoutingUI.cpp
             src/icons.h 
             src/icons.cpp
-            src/georef.h
-            src/georef.c
+
+            ../../include/georef.h
+            ../../src/georef.cpp
+            ../../include/cutil.h            
+            ../../src/cutil.cpp

../grib_pi/src/GribRecord.cpp  
             ../grib_pi/src/zuFile.cpp
Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:36   #355

Boat: Hylas 44

OK then.

This fix is withdrawn.
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 17:15   #356

Dear Chuck, I was very interested in your fix. Why this response directly afterwards....
I was going to go ahead and try to fix weather_routing and weatherfax!

Quote:
OK then.
This fix is withdrawn.
I don't get it.
Old 16-09-2013, 00:37   #357

The explanation of plugin philosophy in 'Beta/Technical' answers all the issues.

Thanks.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 04:48   #358

Read Dave's posts in the sticky beta thread.
Plugin Dependencies Problem:
Quote:
PlugIns must maintain their own local copies of all the files they need to build, independent of the main OCPN source tree. All you really need from the main tree is OCPNPlugIn.h, and it need not be current. It only needs to be current up to the PlugIn API revision supported by the PlugIn in question.
See the comment at the bottom of this page of Developer's ManualPlugIn API | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Refer to Forum Post 1042 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/beta-test-technical-30929-70.html#post1340119 and following Posts 1042, 1044, 1046
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/beta-test-technical-30929-70.html#post1341096
Old 18-09-2013, 11:47   #359

Boat: Chincogan 40

Hi,
I'm just starting to look at the WR PI & am missing some things.

The opencpn/plugins/WR/data folder.
Is it still required?
What should be in there?
Have seen several references to it but not what should be in it.

There are several references to "select edit new" or configuration in the wiki page. I can't see a edit button, menu, etc. Where should it be??

What I do see is the first image in the wiki page. I do get both WR PI dialogues shows here.

What does "eta" stand for in the boat/sail plan dialogue?

For reference I'm running:-
Ubuntu 12.04
OpenCPN Version 3.3.814 Build 2013-08-14
libclimatology_amd64_pi19_v02_pi.so
lib_weather_routing_lin64_pi110_07_pi.so

That's enough for one post, I'll be back.

Thanks
Larfalitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 15:10   #360

The opencpn/plugins/WR/data folder. Is it still required? - Yes
What should be in there? weatherroutinginformation.html file

Go to Opencpn Beta File thingie - see posts above.. find the "weather_routing" directory then "data" directory. Or read the readme file.

There are several references to "select edit new" or configuration in the wiki page. I can't see a edit button, menu, etc. Where should it be??
-- The menus have changed. Wiki has not been updated yet.

What I do see is the first image in the wiki page. I do get both WR PI dialogues shows here.

What does "eta" stand for in the boat/sail plan dialogue? - I have same question. It adjusts the speed of the boat somehow, by % or something.

For reference I'm running:- Ubuntu 12.04 OpenCPN Version 3.3.814 Build 2013-08-14 libclimatology_amd64_pi19_v02_pi.so
lib_weather_routing_lin64_pi110_07_pi.so

-Great, thank you for being patient. Note we have updated the Climatology "currents" data. See the Climatology Thread, (end of it) This data is in Opencpn File thingie too.

-Sean the developer is gone sailing, but I helped him with compiling for windows and downloading and processing all the data for Climatology. I worked with him on wx-rte, climatology, wxfax, celestial_navigation improvements, rtlsdr, & trimplot. He is quite prolific, but right now he is gone. -- we currently having problems compiling wx_rte and wx_fax because of file references back to opencpn source which is not permitted as those files change. Hope to fix when have time.

That's enough for one post, I'll be back.

Tags
paracelle, weather