Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2014, 05:25   #571

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Weather Routing

At some point, most likely after Closing Opencpn completely, and then opening it again the settings in Boat.xml got rewritten!!! I now reads:

Boat.xml
Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<OpenCPNWeatherRoutingBoat version="1.1" creator="Opencpn Weather Routing plugin">
<BoatCharacteristics displacement_tons="6" sail_area_ft2="520" lwl_ft="22" loa_ft="32" beam_ft="8" />
<BoatDrag frictional_drag="0.0224" wake_drag="1.0000" />
<Plan Name="Initial Plan" polarmethod="0" csvFileName="C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weathe r_routing\Nell_Polar_Computed.CSV" optimize_tacking="0" />

</OpenCPNWeatherRoutingBoat>
Which appears to be Boat_Alexandra's specs...(and I particularly like the 24' lwl) but unfortunately Nell's specs have been overwritten somehow.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 10:01   #572

Something is wrong about the above...testing done above was not conclusive, ...still but something is wrong....

Sometimes Boat_Alexandra data appears in the Boat Configuration TAB. The Sail Plan Polar Tab currently has "Loaded from CSV Polar File" with the filename Nell_Polar_Compute.csv
Hull - Mono
Disp - 4
Sail Area - 400
Lwl - 24
Loa - 27
Bm - 8
I have not figured out what causes this to happen.. yet. Then if I change the Sail Plan Polar to "Computed from Sailboat Transform" The Boat Config tab stays the same - with Boat Alexandra data.

Closed WxRoute, and Opencpn then open again with Weatherrouting > Highlight Route Config > Weather Route Configuration > Boat and "Boat Config" TAB is the same as before Boat_Alexandra.

Then "Open" (from the bottom of the window) Boat.xml and on "Boat Config" TAB the data is still Boat_Alexandra!
Then
"Open" (from the bottom of the window) Nell_Boat.xml and on "Boat Config" TAB the data is still Boat_Alexandra!
I know that these two xml files that I tried to open have Nell Data...that is not showing up in the TAB.
So it appears that the TAB screen is not rewriting properly, or the data is not being loaded.

Under "Sail Plan Polar" the dropdown is still on "Computed..." so I hit "Recompile and the polar did not change and is Boat_Alexandra's , so it is reasonably safe to assume that the files I tried to load with Nell data (Boat.xml and Nell_Boat.xml) were not loaded.

Now I go to the Sail Plan Polar TAB again and pick "Load from CSV Polar File" and then pick "Nell_Polar_Computed.csv" and I find that Boat Confg TAB has changed to show Nell's data.
I pick "Close" to close "Boat" Menu and then under Weather Route Config, under "Boat" copy the path
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing\Boa t_Alexandra.XML
So the path has not changed. How did the Boat Config TAB data change to Nell_Boat.xml?
I go back to Boat -Edit and under Boat- Boat Config TAB it is now Boat_Alexandra data!
I try to Open the Boat.xml and Nell-Boat.xml file that have Nell's data and Boat_Alexandra Data still shows in the Boat Config TAB. I go to Sail Plan Tab and "Computed from..." is still in dropdown, hit "Recompute" and the Polar Diagram changes from Nell's to Boat_Alexandra's.

Then at some point when trying to find out what is happening, I find out that my Nell_Boat.xml has been overwritten with Boat_Alexandra.xml data. The user needs to be informed and prompted ... Do you want to overwrite file "Nell_Boat.xml"? Yes No before this happens.

When you open Boat.xml or Nell_Boat.xml in the "Boat Config" Tab, the Pathname should change in the WeatherRoute Config - Boat - Browse to C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing\Nel l_Boat.xml or C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing\Boa t.xml as appropriate.

Under WxRouteConfig would it be possible to see the entire path? with Browse and Edit below the path? Does it make any sense to move this "Boat" path down to the bottom left?

Under WxRouteConfig > Boat > Edit > "Open" the lower right prompts "Boat Polar Files (*.xml)" These are not Polar files they are "Boat_Configuration.xml" files. Also this "Open" function does not seem to work properly, the Boat Config Tab does not change when selecting different files with different data.

Under WxRouteConfig > Boat > Edit The "Open" "Save as" and "Save and Close" all apply to the "Boat Configuration" Tab I think the should be moved to be under that TAB ONLY, leaving the "Close" where it is. If a user hits "Close" and the Boat Config Tab has changed so it is different that the Boat Config file that is selected in the path.. then there should be a prompt stating the Boat Config has changed, do you want to save these changes? Yes No.

I think the plugin needs to have reading and writing of files looked at more carefully for consistancy. I have not been able to put my finger on all of the actions yet, but I have found inconsistancies and problems.

After this study I believe some of these problems come from how the plugin historically acted and that initialization and how the two different types of files are read and saved need to be looked at. I believe there must be some internal record for boat config data which can be filed by a call to initialize the internal record with data (Boat_Alexandra data):
Initializing Internal Record stored in the plugin
Hull - Mono
Disp - 4
Sail Area - 400
Lwl - 24
Loa - 27
Bm - 8
Then the user may change that data at the WxRouteConfig > Boat > Boat Config TAB which will then change the internal record to something different which is exactly what is on the TAB:
Hull - Mono
Disp - 6
Sail Area - 520
Lwl - 22
Loa - 32
Bm - 10
Below the user can chose to "Save as" to a new file or selected one, "Save&Close"
If the user tries to "Close" the "Boat Config" menu, he is prompted if he wants to save changes to .....<show the path and the name> Yes No.

Currently it appears that there may be some loose "triggers" to initialize the internal boat config record with Boat_Alexandra data.

Also there are no longer "linked" Boat_Config.xml and Polar.csv files as before (the Polar.csv is not a part of the boat_config record), so that the Boat Config TAB is independent of a Polar.csv file.... The user needs to understand this, and load the proper boat_config.xml file, particularly if he want to use the right data for "Computing polar from..."
I am not sure what other consequences this has.

Loading and Saving a Polar.csv seems to work ok.

Boat.xml
---------------
<OpenCPNWeatherRoutingBoat version="1.1" creator="Opencpn Weather Routing plugin">
<BoatCharacteristics displacement_tons="8" sail_area_ft2="700" lwl_ft="34" loa_ft="39" beam_ft="12" />
<BoatDrag frictional_drag="0.0130" wake_drag="0.7628" />
<Plan Name="Initial Plan" polarmethod="1" eta="0.25" luff_angle="15.0000" wing_wing_running="0" optimize_tacking="0" />

Nell_Boat.xml
------------------
<BoatCharacteristics displacement_tons="6" sail_area_ft2="520" lwl_ft="22" loa_ft="32" beam_ft="10" />
<BoatDrag frictional_drag="0.0000" wake_drag="0.0000" />
<Plan Name="Initial Plan" polarmethod="0" csvFileName="C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weathe r_routing\Nell_Polar_Comp_Racer.CSV" optimize_tacking="0" />

Boat_Alexandra.xml
---------------------------
<BoatCharacteristics displacement_tons="1" sail_area_ft2="520" lwl_ft="22" loa_ft="32" beam_ft="10" />
<BoatDrag frictional_drag="0.0130" wake_drag="0.7628" />
<Plan Name="Initial Plan" polarmethod="0" csvFileName="C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weathe r_routing\Nell_Polar_Comp_Racer.CSV" optimize_tacking="0" />

Old 01-08-2014, 06:32   #573

Git Pull... compiled. Improvements in User warnings for files, polars etc.
Checked the warnings and they seem to work.
Install file uploaded to Opencpn Beta File thingie.

Code:
Build succeeded.
"C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\buil\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj" (default target) (4) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  ..\src\BoatPlan.cpp(520): warning C4005: 'ERROR' : macro redefinition [C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj]
    1 Warning(s)
    0 Error(s)
CPack: - package: C:/../o-plugin/weather_routing_pi/build/weather_routing_pi-1.1-win32.exe generated.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:23   #574

Sean please see suggestions two above this. In addition I think we need save and load cvs (polar files) to only show and allow csv. Same for xml (boat configuration) files.
In an effort to prevent user confusion. Also purpose and extension should be clearly labeled. (Polar) csv (boat config) xml
Thanks, Rick
Old 02-08-2014, 05:18   #575

PS Please confirm these files are loading and saving properly as my testing confirms that they do not seem to be loading at all, that is the boat config.xml file.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-08-2014, 07:42   #576

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Rick,

How would tide data be used in weather routing?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:56   #577

Sean I thought it provides both tide and some stations provide current information. If you'd like to see how that works look at Matt new plugin ottides

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-08-2014, 11:39   #578

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I believe I posted about using that tide data for currents. do you have a link to the source code? I can't find it.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:45   #579

Sean,
It is Mike Rasbats Free 2014 tide tables and tidal flow atlases : from Visit My Harbour

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...in-129161.html
There is a dll, but no code...

The plugin allows you to scroll forward in time and back in time and view the currents with colored arrows representing strength....similar to a grib file.

I was wondering if that data could be used with weatherrouting pi somehow...at some point... Just an idea. Maybe there is a way of converting the Current data into a grib format and then merge the data with Climatology or Grib?

I''ve been talking about a merge grib function to allow download of separate current files for same time period, then add to wind/pressure with a merge. (Have done this by concatenating files and it seems to work. Left some examples on Grib thread).
Old 06-08-2014, 06:17   #580

Sail Power Calc - little JavaScriptapplication calculates the sail areas, forces and moments, when given the rig measurements and wind conditions. It represents in a simplified manner the aerodynamic module of a VPP (Velocity Prediction Program), used to predict the sailboat's performance.
-
SailPowerCalc

Old 06-08-2014, 07:08   #581

VPP
Some other examples of VPP which might give some ideas:
Techsail - Sailing Yacht Performance Analysis
Aft Mast Sail Power Calculator
SailPowerCalc
VelocityPrediction Software

Components to solving the problem
ORC - World Leader in Rating Technology

VPP Articles
Development of Velocity Prediciton Progrma for Traditional Dutch Sailing
Vessels of the type SKUTSJE (pdf)

Predicting the speed of Sailing Yachts (pdf)

Propulsion aspects of large sailing yachts (pdf)

Derivation of forces on a sail using pressure and shape full size measurements (pdf)

The Modification and Application of a Time Dependent Performance Prediction Model on the Dynamic Behaviour of a Sailing Yacht”
the dynamic behavior of a Sailing Yacht (pdf)

Sail trim Theory and Practice (google books) See VPP section page 25 short description, saying VPP to be very accurate requires super computers, and instead needs to be adjusted by reality.

Calibration of Instruments for Sailing - Sailmon (pdf)

Simple Polar of various types of boats Traditional, Cat, etc.

Have not found specific information about the effect of waves vs certain types of hulls....will try to find this.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46   #582

Boat: Spirit 28

Hi,

I hope this is an ok place to post this, but I was wondering how does one get this plugin?

Is it a compile only thing? That is, do I have to compile the latest opencpn and latest weather_router plugin, as opposed to being able to add the plugin to my current 3.2.2 OpenCPN?

Also, what is the "enhanced grib"? I installed the latest OpenCPN (3.2.2) but my grib plugin doesn't even have the same features as those illustrated in manual on the OpenCPN website. Is this also obtainable only through compiling the latest OpenCPN beta?

Many thanks
Mark

"What a ship is, is a hull and a deck and sails; what a ship means, is freedom" - Capt Jack Sparrow
nonamebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59   #583

Boat: Phantom 19

Mark...
The manual on opencpn.org follows the latest development. Get the 3.3 beta (no need to build it from source, packages are on the download page) to have the functions it talks about.
Weather routing plug-in is not mature enough to be available on the main site for general download - either build from source or get the prebuilt binaries Rick provides.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:25   #584

Thanks Pavel,

Mark
Wroute File Thingie 2.5.7 rguser rgpass
find it in 3.3.1824 PI I believe

Current Beta Release 3.3.1931, released July 31, 2014.
Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Old 12-08-2014, 00:16   #585

Boat: Spirit 28

Hi,

Many thanks for all the help, I got this installed now!

It looks great, fantastic work! Looking forward to it becoming a stable part of OpenCPN!

Thanks
Mark

"What a ship is, is a hull and a deck and sails; what a ship means, is freedom" - Capt Jack Sparrow
nonamebrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, weather