Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 16:44   #1081

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Weather Routing

Thanks, Paul. That is very helpful and answers the question..
I've got to rebuild my MSVC configuration.
--Why does this happen every 6 months?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 07:04   #1082

@.Paul what do you have in your directory buildwin? please. I still get 153 errors and have removed the entire directory and cloned again. Also did you delete your directory for weather_routing_pi and git clone? If not, I think you should try that!

I believe there must be critical files missing from downloads of both sean's and dan's repositories that make it work. I have installed the normal Opencpn binaries to buildwin, even though the weather_routing README does not mention this.
Old 26-09-2017, 07:35   #1083

Have once again git cloned weather_routing and expanded the binaries from Opencpn-Buildwin-svg.7z into buildwin and copied a recent opencpn.lib into build directory and executed cmake -T v120_xp .. and then cmake --build . --config release from that build directory and I still get 153 errors.

This is on a different machine now!

Notice to Anyone who does Not get these Errors: Please advise what steps you take to compile this plugin (that are different from the description above).

Thanks so much for your help (Paul especially)
Old 27-09-2017, 03:49   #1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
@.Paul what do you have in your directory buildwin? please. I still get 153 errors and have removed the entire directory and cloned again. Also did you delete your directory for weather_routing_pi and git clone? If not, I think you should try that!
Rick,

My buildwin directory:
Code:
 Directory of C:\Weather_Routing_pi\weather_routing_pi\buildwin

05/31/2016  09:28    <DIR>          .
05/31/2016  09:28    <DIR>          ..
05/31/2016  09:28            28,625 NSIS.template.in
               1 File(s)         28,625 bytes

Quote:
I believe there must be critical files missing from downloads of both sean's and dan's repositories that make it work. I have installed the normal Opencpn binaries to buildwin, even though the weather_routing README does not mention this.
I build the plugin outside the OpenCPN build tree. The plugin is built in its own directory tree.

Code:
cd build
cmake -T v120_xp ..
cmake --build . --config release
cmake --build . --config release --target package
I install the plugin by running the newly built
Code:
 weather_routing_pi-1.10-win32.exe
So, the "normal OpenCPN binaries" are not needed in buildwin for the plugin. Those binaries are built into the OpenCPN install package--another time, another place.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 04:24   #1085

Thank you Paul.

This morning I believe I discovered the source of the 153 Errors.

When I cloned Sean's repos of weather_routing_pi I thought I was using the most recent version of Opencpn Lib (4.8.0 & then I was going to work back to the one just after 4.4).

I found I was not, I think it was version 4.2 of 125kb. I had done the same for TDan's repository.

Changing to v 4.6.1 Opencpn.lib (134kb) appears to have fixed the problem!

I am very sorry about the trouble. What I learned was when you get a bunch of Linker and Lib errors and there are a lot of them, it is likely you are using an old opencpn.lib in your build directory! So I need to be more careful about what version I am copying into my build directory!

Clones of both sean's & tdan's repos build and when installed in v 4.8.0 run properly for me now.
Old 27-09-2017, 06:17   #1086

There is a beta version which adds Weather-Routing-Setup files
as described in completely rewritten Weather_Routing Manual here

Beta-Weather-Routing-Setup adds Data files

This version and these files should get new users working with weather_routing 'out of the box' provided they double check the installation of all the files to the correct directories, and confirm that the pathnames are correct.

Note:
The Data files and directories
- boat (directory)
- grib-sample (directory)
- polars (directory)
- WeatherRoutingConfiguration.XML

May have to be copied from
- Program Files (x86)\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing_pi\data

To ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing\ (no data)

Then open Climatology and in Grib_pi open the file

- C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing\gri b-sample\Irma-Jose-2017090618.gfs.grib2

Then open Weather_Routing_pi and select File > Open
- C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing\Wea therRoutingConfiguration.XML

You should now be able to highlight a "Configuration" and then select "Compute"

====
The only thing needed now from a programming point of view, is to get the files and directories installed to the programdata\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing_pi directory and to make sure the pathnames are correct.
Old 15-12-2017, 09:06   #1087

Stelian [github.com\stelian42\weather_routing_pi ] has created a good default-config for the plugin that once installed into a "clean" version of OpenCPN, when initiated will setup weather_routing and copy files over to the user directories and set up all the pathnames, so that (if Grib_pi and Climatology_pi are enabled and started properly) the configuratiions will "Compute" and "Complete".

See this page to start with a clean installation, if you have previously used Weather_Routing http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2536345

See the following pages for Installation, and step by step results of the test.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2536379

There are about 5 posts all related to this.
Old 15-12-2017, 09:14   #1088

Stelian,
I have made a new branch in my repository "default-config" to follow your upstream branch "stelian42\provide-default-config" and have pulled it and compiled and created an install package.
Quote:

C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\GitHub\r-wxrouting\build>git branch -va
* default-config 8c00056 Add example configurations from Rick.
master 41c0f98 Merge pull request #89 from stelian42/save-dates-times-in-ISO-format
remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
remotes/origin/master 41c0f98 Merge pull request #89 from stelian42/save-dates-times-in-ISO-format
remotes/seandepagnier/crossover 82ce550 Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/master' into crossover
remotes/seandepagnier/master 41c0f98 Merge pull request #89 from stelian42/save-dates-times-in-ISO-format
remotes/stelian42/crossover 23c07cc ui updates and other changes
remotes/stelian42/master 1177186 Merge remote-tracking branch 'sean/master'
remotes/stelian42/provide-default-config 8c00056 Add example configurations from Rick.
remotes/upstream/crossover 82ce550 Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/master' into crossover
remotes/upstream/master 41c0f98 Merge pull request #89 from stelian42/save-dates-times-in-ISO-format
I have one question before I start changing the configuration files as Sean would like.

I had updated to:
master 41c0f98 Merge pull request #89 from stelian42/save-dates-times-in-ISO-format

What do I do about:

Do I pull that in too? Or just leave it?
I am just going to continue right now, I think and modify those configuration files next.
Old 15-12-2017, 09:53   #1089

Boat: First 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
What do I do about:

Do I pull that in too? Or just leave it?
I am just going to continue right now, I think and modify those configuration files next.
As I said privately, but it might be useful for others too, the 'crossover' branch is Sean's not mine, it appears to contain some old code changes which may have been merged into master at one point. Or not.

Anyway, do not merge that.
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 19:35   #1090

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

Gentlemen, for the first time, I've actually gotten a fairly realistic weather routing to work. Thank you so much for your efforts!

One bug I found in getting my stuff to work (Windows)... if you edit a polar in the data folder from within the config screen, it (correctly) edits from the Program Data folder. But when you save it, it tries to save into the Program folder (and fails).

To reproduce...
Click on a routing, click on Edit to edit the boat xml file.
Click on a polar file name in the boat polars list and click Edit.
Click Save on the polar file page, and it fails. It is trying to save in the Program Files folder vs the ProgramData folder.

It would be nice for the computation to display SOME inkling as to why Polar Fail happens.

I also ran into the Crossover Percentage bug mentioned (very large negative number being introduced somewhere) once, but don't know what I did to make it happen. When I tried to reproduce it, I noticed this in my boat.xml file (and the same thing is in your Test-Boat.xml

CrossOverContours="C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\ weather_routing\contours\C:!?!ProgramData!?!opencp n!?!plugins!?!weather_routing!?!polars!?!Soggy Paws 0-35.csv.contours

The only thing that's in my "contours" folder is file named "C" of zero length.

Again, kudos for all the work you've put in!

Sherry
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 00:59   #1091

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws View Post
To reproduce...
Click on a routing, click on Edit to edit the boat xml file.
Click on a polar file name in the boat polars list and click Edit.
Click Save on the polar file page, and it fails. It is trying to save in the Program Files folder vs the ProgramData folder.
I cannot reproduce this - at least on Linux.

I have a feeling that this is because you're not starting from zero: I mean, you're using a previous Boat.xml file, which has the path to Program Files inside.

If you had started by removing all the weather_routing directory, the default configuration files would have the proper paths. Also, if you recreate a boat, add some polars etc, normally the paths are set up to the correct directory.

(of course, if you want to keep your existing files, you will have to edit them manually...)

Can you please confirm my assumptions are correct ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws View Post
It would be nice for the computation to display SOME inkling as to why Polar Fail happens.

I also ran into the Crossover Percentage bug mentioned (very large negative number being introduced somewhere) once, but don't know what I did to make it happen. When I tried to reproduce it, I noticed this in my boat.xml file (and the same thing is in your Test-Boat.xml

CrossOverContours="C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\ weather_routing\contours\C:!?!ProgramData!?!opencp n!?!plugins!?!weather_routing!?!polars!?!Soggy Paws 0-35.csv.contours

The only thing that's in my "contours" folder is file named "C" of zero length.
This is strange too. Please make sure:
- you're using my precompiled exe (or compiled yourself from the provide-default-config github branch)
- before launching opencpn, clean up the contents of ProgramData\plugins\weather_routing folder, also edit your opencpn.conf and cleanup the weather routing section

I'll try to test the Windows version again this afternoon and see if I can reproduce your issues.
Old 16-12-2017, 01:38   #1092

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

Before I installed the plugin, I renamed the ProgramData/opencpn/plugins/weather_routing folder to _old and started from scratch in the data directory. However I DIDN'T think to go into my Program Files folder and delete/rename the weather_routing_pi folder there. Maybe should have, because there was some legacy stuff there, too. I also didn't clean out the weather routing section in the ini file.

I started out using the installer version you had compiled and posted a link to:
weather_routing_pi-20171214sp1-win32.exe

But then I noticed the other one posted by rgleason:
weather_routing_pi-1.10-R-Setup-win32.exe

I didn't notice a huge difference between the two.

After playing with the test boat, and successfully doing a routing, I carefully moved over a couple of polar files and boat xml files that I had been using a year ago when I last played with the weather routing stuff (with little success, for various reasons), editing them as needed to conform the format in the example files.

This may be a Windows only kind of problem, because of the separation of "program files" and "program data".

I will clean things up a little more thoroughly and re-install the correct version, to eliminate any confusion. Tomorrow morning--time for happy hour here (5:30pm in the Philippines)

Which installer should I use?--I wasn't sure since both you and rgleason had posted links to differently named installers.

Sherry
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 03:01   #1093

I'll generate a new version later today, with the latest changes from Rick (routing based on Climatology and not Irma grib).

Linux and Windows are dealt with exactly in the same way: both have a system (ProgramFiles for Windows, /usr/share/ for Linux) and a user folder (ProgramData for Windows, /home/... for Linux).

I really think there is some confusion from Rick's files (which had hardcoded path inside!).

So please test by cleaning up the files and installing the one I'll generate later today (I'll post here when done).

Thanks,

Stelian.
Old 16-12-2017, 05:08   #1094

Ok, the new version is here: http://popies.net/tmp/weather_routin...6sp1-win32.exe (and sourcecode pushed to github)

I tested on both Linux and Windows, works fine, and cannot reproduce Sherry's issues.

So, please test, if ok I will submit the changes to Sean.

(remember you need to have the Climatology plugin installed in order to be able to complete the routings)
Old 16-12-2017, 07:17   #1095

Also, to cleanup before install, execute uninstallweatherrouting.exe in the opencpn program folder. Also remove/rename both system and user weather_routing directories and check opencpn.ini to make sure there are no wxrte settings & remove them.

Tags
paracelle, weather