Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2017, 23:58   #1186

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Weather Routing

Hello RGleason,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Gille, .....

I am afraid the role of a route is as a future plan, but so far we can enter and average speed to get ETA and see ETA Planning Now, ETA Planning Now from Intermediate WP, During Passage
What do you understand by this ?
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 02:18   #1187

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

When I read the links to the manual below this text, and the my subsequent post where the typical navobj route header and record is shown, I recognize that RM can be improved.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 10:45   #1188

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I would like to release version 2.0 soon.

Please report any outstanding issues to the tracker or raise a github issue so I can keep track of them and attempt to fix before release.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 10:10   #1189

Hello Sean, Stelian and Did-g,

In this search, we want the weather-route to go to the end-point marked "4".

This search ends with "Polar failed", while the search is close to reaching End-point.
- The polar used is that of Figaro_2. She extremely well documented in information. Hard to admit that the cause is due to the polar.
- The distance between the end of the white line and the extremity of the pink line is about 0.29 miles.

See the screenshot. There is :
- a white line marked with a black arrow
- a pink line (virtual track) that shows where the current thread, seems to have stopped announcing "Polar failed". This line is marked by a green arrow.

I watched carefully as the pink line evolved.

When everything stopped, I clicked on "Export" and got a track that I colored in white.

So, in fact, the search seems to have ended properly. And the last pink segment should hide the last white segment.

Here a link for download the grib file that I used.
DL.FREE.FR
You have to unzip it after download.

Other necessary data to reproduce my test are lisible in the screen-copys here joined.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-31-WR_Polar_failed_near_to_end-point.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	161306   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-31-WR_Start_point_End-point_positions.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	161307  

Name:	2017-12-31-WR_Configuration_basic.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	161308   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-31-WR_Configuration_Advanced.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	161309  

Old 31-12-2017, 11:26   #1190

Hello,

Sorry I forgot this: In order to be able to test the problem explained in my previous post, you also need boundaries that avoid dangerous zones of the coasts.
Here are attached. Put out ".doc" and then unzip please.
Old 31-12-2017, 14:30   #1191

Gille, very interesting. Why the white line reaching destination?.
I wonder what happens when you reduce you reduce the time interval by 1/2 or 1/4? Does the red routing complete?

Naybe you found another source of disappointment for users?
Old 31-12-2017, 19:21   #1192

Sean has merged PR from Hakan for PO internationalization and also made some improvements. New Beta release 1.1106 for windows
Old 01-01-2018, 02:48   #1193

Hello Sean,

First, Happy New Year. And beautiful navigations to come.

Second:
I am currently cleaning up my installation of OpenCPN. Various crash occurred. Explicitable probably with the various updates of Weather-routing and Draw. So, I delete them.

I observe that :
- the file relating to WeatherRouting in "Program data / opencpn" is not deleted by the software of uninstallation of WeatherRouting.
- the settings relating to WeatherRouting in the "opencpn.ini" file are not deleted.

This makes it easier to crash when installing a new version of WeatherRouting. OpenCPN alpha users can not be asked to know how to properly clean the installation. And beta testers often have to be lazy to properly clean the installation.

It is not surprising that some "re-installation" leads to discontent among alpha users. There has been quite a bit since version 4.6.1 and version 4.8.

So, it WOULD BE NICE if the uninstall software for Weather was updated.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:16   #1194

hello WR team,

First, Happy 2018. With the best of your dreams.

Second :

I cleaned up OpenCPN after uninstalling Draw and WeatherRouting. Including the cleaning of the "opencpn.ini" file and the deletion of the files that the uninstallation software plugins leave in place. and I even cleaned up the registry with CCleaner.

Then, I installed Draw (the same version as before) and reloaded the barriers I had saved before uninstalling.
Then, I installed the latest version of WeatherRouting

I made the same settings as those of the last test reported. Same time, same boxes checked, same setting concerning Climatology.
I used the same Grib file as the one attached to previous test.

Certainly the Grib file ends on January 30 at the beginning of the afternoon but I checked the box "Use the latest data present if no data available grib".
See Start-point and End-point on the last screen copy here joined.

Can not get a route from Start-Point to end-point. Each time, the announced cause is "Grib failed". I changed the duration of the interval between two isochrones (1h, 30mn, 20 mn, 15 mn). I changed the angle by trying 5 ° and 3 °. Nothing to do.

I tried a Skyron file of December 25, 2017. Same, it does not work.

Third :

I downloaded the Grib file today, on Skyron. This grib file is from Sunday, the 31 at 12h to Tuesday at 12 h.
It works without any problem by sending the search at 17:00 today (January, the 1).

BUT

Trying to send the search at 2:54 on January 1. Timestamp_30mn_Angle_3.
The calculations never ended. WR was looking for a weather-route in the middle of the North Sea to the east and another in the Atlantic to the west. Strange, see the screenshots for this school case.

Then, I chose to send the search on Tuesday, January 2nd at 2:54 am.
An incomplete weather-route was found whose end is about 0.5 miles from End-point.
But the search was unsuccessful, and the calculations continued long, long, driving the virtual boat in the Atlantic and the North Sea.
See the screenshots for this school case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-01-01-Skyron_today_Start_at_2h54.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	161360   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-01-Skyron_today_Start_at_2h54_2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	161361  

Name:	2018-01-01-Skyron_today_Start_at_2h54_3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	161362   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-01-Skyron_today_Start_at_2h54_Tomorrow_4.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	161363  

Name:	2018-01-01-Skyron_today_Start_at_2h54_Tomorrow_5.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	161364   Click image for larger version

Name:	WR_area_from_start_point_to_end_point.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	161365  

Old 01-01-2018, 14:59   #1195

Hello,

I looked for various weather-routes with Cherbourg's grib file which presents a grid of 4km.
I was able to build routes between Cherbourg (north Cotentin, France) and Cowes (north of the Isle of Wight, England).

I then wanted to find a weather-route between Cherbourg and Newlyn (South of the western tip of England).
For that I had to load the file "Channel Grib" with a grid of 12 km (from SkyRon).

I made boundaries with Draw to prohibit some too dangerous areas. Then I set the arrival point at the entrance to Newlyn Harbor.

I hoped that WR would easily find a weather-route. And I must say that it's almost there. At one point the route was almost at the entrance of the harbor by the most normal way.
Alas, WR failed to arrive. And even worse, finally, he proposes a route that passes through the land ....

see screen-copys.
And here link for download the grib file for Channel : http://dl.free.fr/rm2T6Qpdz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-01-01-Cherbourg_Newlyn_Positions.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	161376   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-01-Cherbourg_Newlyn_Positions_arrivee.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	161377  

Name:	2018-01-01-Cherbourg_Newlyn_Reglage.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	161378   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-01-Cherbourg_Newlyn_Reglages_2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	161379  

Name:	2018-01-01-Cherbourg_Newlyn_Route_trouvee.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	161380   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-01-Cherbourg_Newlyn_Route_trouvee_Anomalie.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	161381  

Old 02-01-2018, 07:39   #1196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Sean,

First, Happy New Year. And beautiful navigations to come.

Second:
I am currently cleaning up my installation of OpenCPN. Various crash occurred. Explicitable probably with the various updates of Weather-routing and Draw. So, I delete them.

I observe that :
- the file relating to WeatherRouting in "Program data / opencpn" is not deleted by the software of uninstallation of WeatherRouting.
- the settings relating to WeatherRouting in the "opencpn.ini" file are not deleted.

This makes it easier to crash when installing a new version of WeatherRouting. OpenCPN alpha users can not be asked to know how to properly clean the installation. And beta testers often have to be lazy to properly clean the installation.

It is not surprising that some "re-installation" leads to discontent among alpha users. There has been quite a bit since version 4.6.1 and version 4.8.

So, it WOULD BE NICE if the uninstall software for Weather was updated.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Yes Giilletarom, it would be nice to have Installation prompts for:

1. "Do you want to remove all Weather_routing settings in the Opencpn.ini file? Yes, No."
  2. "Do you want to remove the User filesfor Weather_routing [For Windows: programdata/opencpn/plugins/weather_routing/] ? Yes, No"
The rest is taken care of by the Uninstall Program.

I am sorry but I did not copy the cleanup instructions up for the most recent BETA, I have now added them, see https://github.com/rgleason/weather_...tag/1.1106beta

Quote:
To have all the initialization files copied from the System files ProgramFiles (x86) folders to User Files ProgramData
you must "Clean" your opencpn files of all weather_routing files and folders or the initialization that is required will not occur.
For windows users, from:
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0 ---> Run Uninstall Weather_routing.exe as administrator.
C:\ProgramData\opencpn ---> Open opencpn.ini in Notepad++ and remove all lines for weather_routing and weatherrouting, including the order of plugins "weatherrouting" reference.
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins ---> Remove the Weather_routing directory.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:29   #1197

Hello WR team :

As a result of this test, to prevent WR from doing weather-route searches, far from the foreseeable navigation area, I set up a feature:

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=2318
Old 02-01-2018, 08:43   #1198

hello,

About this test:
https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=2318

I observed that WR approached the weather-road very close to the point "End-point where the virtual boat was to go." The distance was about 0.5 miles between the end-point point and the end of the road-weather in the course of research.
But then, WR "tangled his toes" from there and was not able to complete his calculation sequence.

It seems to me that in this kind of situation, WR should automatically modify the configuration, in particular:
- the timestamp between two isochrones, considerably reducing this duration. Probably descending to 1 minute
- by decreasing the search angle by automatically going down to 1 degree.
These modifications would obviously be applied only in the final zone.

WR should constantly check the distance between the End-point and the end of the best weather-road found. As soon as this distance is small enough, WR will implement the method I propose to complete the search.

It seems to me that if this guard distance corresponded to the average distance between two isochrones, that would be good enough.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:26   #1199

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello,

I looked for various weather-routes with Cherbourg's grib file which presents a grid of 4km.
I was able to build routes between Cherbourg (north Cotentin, France) and Cowes (north of the Isle of Wight, England).

I then wanted to find a weather-route between Cherbourg and Newlyn (South of the western tip of England).
For that I had to load the file "Channel Grib" with a grid of 12 km (from SkyRon).

I made boundaries with Draw to prohibit some too dangerous areas. Then I set the arrival point at the entrance to Newlyn Harbor.

I hoped that WR would easily find a weather-route. And I must say that it's almost there. At one point the route was almost at the entrance of the harbor by the most normal way.
Alas, WR failed to arrive. And even worse, finally, he proposes a route that passes through the land ....

see screen-copys.
And here link for download the grib file for Channel : DL.FREE.FR

The first case where it fails to route... but continues exploring the north sea, I think maybe the end point is within land? Can you disable all charts and view only the background (gshhs) map to see?

In the second case, it passes through land... A few pages back there was a problem that was "solved" by disabling land detection on the final route segment.

Clearly this is a problem here and needs some thought. I may have a solution.

For both cases, could you post the boat.xml, polars used gribs, and weather routing configuration xml so I can reproduce exactly?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:36   #1200

Hello Sean

Thanks to have read my posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The first case where it fails to route... but continues exploring the north sea, I think maybe the end point is within land? Can you disable all charts and view only the background (gshhs) map to see?
For both cases, could you post the boat.xml, polars used gribs, and weather routing configuration xml so I can reproduce exactly?
1 ° You say this:
"The first case where it's going to go ... but continuing to explore the north sea, I think the end point is within the land? (Gshhs) map to see?"

You may notice that the screenshots show no mapping. We just see the basemap GSHHS. I often do weather-route searches without maps displayed. This was the case in my two tests.
Do you want to say that WR uses, marine charts installed, even if they are not displayed? Do you want me to remove the nautical charts installed in OpenCPN?

2 ° In my two last tests put online, the best weather-route came very close to the end point towards which the virtuald boat was going. There remained less than half a mile to go. This is true for the test around the Cotentin, it's true for the test to Newlyn at the southern end of England.

I am well aware that by placing the point of arrival where I placed them for these tests, I ask WR too much. For research around the Cotentin, it would be enough to shift the point a little to the east to eliminate all the problems. For the weather-route search to Newlyn, I placed the arrival point at the harbor entrance while there are two boundary lines that delineate a fairly tight access channel in front of this harbor entrance.

But, it is by observing how WR traces the isochrones and what space is available near the arrival point, that I had the idea to propose that WR modifies "for a local use", two of the configuration settings .

That said, I give you herewith the files you request.
The links for the grib files provided here are those in the posts that report the tests.
You must also set up the boundary that works with Draw.

And dowload also this files (but, they are big files):
DL.FREE.FR > Grib file Cherbourg, Grid 4km.
DL.FREE.FR >Grib file Channel, Grid 12km.
DL.FREE.FR > Boundary

In each case, put out the ".doc" and unzip the file

I hope I have not forgotten anything.

Note that for the configuration from Cherbourg to Newlyn, I did various tests after the one I put in lines.
You will have to look exactly at the screenshots to find the exact settings of this test. The current settings do not manage to find the right weather-route, but do not pass through the land and continue to search north of the southwestern tip of England. But it takes patience because with this configuration, the search takes a very very long time.
Attached Files
File Type: doc weather_routing.zip.doc (75.2 KB, 64 views)

Tags
paracelle, weather