Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2013, 03:58   #121

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Wweather Rrouting

I have to get boat in water, spring is here, but I can check in each night and compile. I am willing to commit to a short term effort to get this done. We need linux and windows testers though who will find any problems, seriously, using plugins for 1/2 hour-hour each day, who is willing/able to do this? I can do some but not all. Goal should understood to be functionality, not additional features.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 08:34   #122

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

rgleason, I do not know anything about linux since I use windows only. It would be nice to know more about programming, linus etc., but I am only a user. I am happy to test in windows, and will use the plugin during the coming summer when it is stable.

I tested the plug in this morning, but i can't use the result since it cannot be exported to route manager. I am impressed with it all, and especially with the boat "tab". One thing that came to my mind is that it could be useful with a "sail plan" for nights, because many people will not use spinakker or "code" sails during the dark hours.
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 16:43   #123

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taarnskov View Post
rgleason, I do not know anything about linux since I use windows only. It would be nice to know more about programming, linus etc., but I am only a user. I am happy to test in windows, and will use the plugin during the coming summer when it is stable.

I tested the plug in this morning, but i can't use the result since it cannot be exported to route manager. I am impressed with it all, and especially with the boat "tab". One thing that came to my mind is that it could be useful with a "sail plan" for nights, because many people will not use spinakker or "code" sails during the dark hours.

Ok, good idea. I should in addition to wind speed direction and swell height have an option for night and day for parameters to switch sail plans.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 02:04   #124

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

Thanks for the report.. First of all.. go into configuration and uncheck inverted routes (the bug is somewhere with that and it's relatively complex logic) It only really applies if you route around and island and reach the back side after the routes from either side meet up. Hopefully you can make routes without crashing now.

As for fixing it, I need to be able to reproduce it. Due to the complexity of the algorithm (look at routemap.cpp) I cannot determine the reason from a line number. The actual bug is probably in a completely different place. Could you give me the starting position, lat/lon, and what boat you used (boat.xml from ~/.opencpn/boat.xml) and and what degree steps. Also if you loaded a csv polar I would need that as well. Also the grib file used and starting time.

I don't get any crashes so I am wondering if this is because of 64bits.
Tested again today 0950 Z+2 (CET) timezone. Download this package, containing screendumps, boat polars and the used grib file.
Temp Share : route-crash.7z | Free temporary file hosting
If I run the route, I sometimes have a crash, but not all the time.
With a destination of 52.05N 1.6E no crash and quite zippy calculation.
Change the destination lat to 50.5 and the calculation is slow and ends with a crash somewhere around when 80 - 90% of the route is calculated.

Anything else I can help you with?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 04:47   #125

I found the bug that crashed it, and fixed it, however inverted regions are still very buggy, and it is probably best in the meantime just don't use them as the are relatively rare, and while very interesting to me (to solve the problem completely) they don't really appear often in practice.

I know of two cases which create them.. Islands, and high pressure systems. I had never seen one from the second case until today (see attachment)

Unfortunately there are many bugs causing many more invalid ones to appear all over the place, and this significantly slows calculations.

Try in configuration uncheck inverted regions. Then I would recommend using a much smaller degree step (like 3 or 5, maybe 8) and a much larger time step (like 5000 or 20000) and things should be more useable. Also maybe try with diverted course set to 180 as the lower values sometimes cause bugs still.. working out this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hpinversions.png
Views:	269
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	59161  
Old 14-04-2013, 17:50   #126

Dropbox under Grib-Current that don't work now:

JPL_SST_Whole_Domain.grb
GLO_rfvl_all
NCOM_U_V_SSH_Whole_domain
gibraltar.grb.bz2
gibraltar.grb
WW3_DIRSW_HTSGW_Whole_domain.grb
WW3_DIRSW_HTSGW_Whole_domain.grb.bz2
FVCOM_tidal_stream_High_Resolution_Boston.grb.bz2
ESEOO_UV_CAN -- Also some of these do not show the file name in the window, nor does the dropdown work.

A number of them don't show the filenames in the window or show a dropbox, in fact the horiz scroll bar is in the window.

Most of the files in Grib work fine except a couple don't now.
bbs2010-current.grb
is one of them.

Displaying the data and the "data-aware" feature is tremendously helpful.

If you need another link to the Dropbox let me know.
Old 14-04-2013, 18:38   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dropbox under Grib-Current that don't work now:

JPL_SST_Whole_Domain.grb
GLO_rfvl_all
NCOM_U_V_SSH_Whole_domain
gibraltar.grb.bz2
gibraltar.grb
FVCOM_tidal_stream_High_Resolution_Boston.grb.bz2
ESEOO_UV_CAN -- Also some of these do not show the file name in the window, nor does the dropdown work.
These are all still in the do not work directory for me. They all work though.

Quote:
A number of them don't show the filenames in the window or show a dropbox, in fact the horiz scroll bar is in the window.
I have no horiz scroll, but I don't get the filename in the window anymore since I switched back to wx-2.8
Quote:
Most of the files in Grib work fine except a couple don't now.
bbs2010-current.grb
is one of them.

Displaying the data and the "data-aware" feature is tremendously helpful.

If you need another link to the Dropbox let me know.
bbs2010... that one works too but it only covers a very small area inside san francisco bay.

I think the problem is you need to git pull the grib plugin again since the fixes I made yesterday.
Old 14-04-2013, 18:41   #128

Re: Weather Routing

Sean, I'd like to correct/delete post above. I was using an old version of grib_enhancements. I've just been testing the most recent one I GIT which I believe does not have one recent improvement, and it does seem to read most if not all of the files above... except "solent_Whole_Domain.grb" seems to make the DEBUG version bomb. You can see for yourself using the dropbox gribs.

Then
Code:
 KernelBase.dll!752c3219()     
     [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for KernelBase.dll]    
>    wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxTrap()  Line 678    C++
     00b9ec01()
Also another grib did this but I did not get the exact name.... sorry.

Code:
     [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for KernelBase.dll]    
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!DoShowAssertDialog(const wxString & msg)  Line 753    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxAppTraitsBase::ShowAssertDialog(const wxString & msgOriginal)  Line 557 + 0x9 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxGUIAppTraitsBase::ShowAssertDialog(const wxString & msg)  Line 635    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!ShowAssertDialog(const wchar_t * szFile, int nLine, const wchar_t * szFunc, const wchar_t * szCond, const wchar_t * szMsg, wxAppTraits * traits)  Line 836 + 0x11 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxAppConsole::OnAssertFailure(const wchar_t * file, int line, const wchar_t * func, const wchar_t * cond, const wchar_t * msg)  Line 445 + 0x22 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxOnAssert(const wchar_t * szFile, int nLine, const char * szFunc, const wchar_t * szCond, const wchar_t * szMsg)  Line 713    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxDateTime::Subtract(const wxDateTime & datetime)  Line 1869 + 0x3e bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxDateTime::operator-(const wxDateTime & dt2)  Line 1876 + 0x10 bytes    C++
     grib_pi.dll!GRIBUIDialog::GetTimeLineRecordSet(wxDateTime time)  Line 853 + 0x13 bytes    C++
     grib_pi.dll!GRIBUIDialog::TimelineChanged()  Line 792 + 0x10 bytes    C++
     grib_pi.dll!GRIBUIDialog::ComputeBestForecastForNow()  Line 981    C++
     grib_pi.dll!GRIBUIDialog::OpenFile()  Line 186    C++
     grib_pi.dll!GRIBUIDialog::OnOpenFile(wxCommandEvent & event)  Line 897    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxAppConsole::HandleEvent(wxEvtHandler * handler, void (wxEvent &)* func, wxEvent & event)  Line 323    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatches(const wxEventTableEntryBase & entry, wxEvtHandler * handler, wxEvent & event)  Line 1241    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEvtHandler::SearchDynamicEventTable(wxEvent & event)  Line 1421 + 0x11 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent & event)  Line 1297 + 0x15 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxControl::ProcessCommand(wxCommandEvent & event)  Line 335    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxButton::SendClickEvent()  Line 476 + 0xc bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxButton::MSWCommand(unsigned int param, unsigned short __formal)  Line 505 + 0x8 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWindow::HandleCommand(unsigned short id, unsigned short cmd, void * control)  Line 5007 + 0x1a bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWindow::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 2924 + 0x22 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxDialog::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 494 + 0x14 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWndProc(HWND__ * hWnd, unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 2618 + 0x1c bytes    C++
     user32.dll!75b162fa()     
     user32.dll!75b16d3a()     
     user32.dll!75b16ce9()     
     user32.dll!75b16de8()     
     user32.dll!75b16e44()     
     ntdll.dll!7750010a()     
     user32.dll!75b172b9()     
     user32.dll!75b22161()     
     user32.dll!75b20f91()     
     user32.dll!75b20d4d()     
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWindow::MSWDefWindowProc(unsigned int nMsg, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 2240 + 0x25 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWindow::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 3427 + 0x22 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxButton::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int nMsg, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 559    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWndProc(HWND__ * hWnd, unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 2618 + 0x1c bytes    C++
     user32.dll!75b162fa()     
     user32.dll!75b16d3a()     
     user32.dll!75b16ce9()     
     user32.dll!75b177c4()     
     user32.dll!75b1788a()     
     user32.dll!75b3c81f()     
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWindow::MSWProcessMessage(tagMSG * pMsg)  Line 2407 + 0x13 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoop::PreProcessMessage(tagMSG * msg)  Line 175 + 0x14 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoop::ProcessMessage(tagMSG * msg)  Line 74 + 0x11 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoop::Dispatch()  Line 294    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoopManual::Run()  Line 115 + 0xd bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxAppBase::MainLoop()  Line 312 + 0x15 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxAppBase::OnRun()  Line 368    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEntryReal(int & argc, wchar_t * * argv)  Line 448 + 0x1b bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEntry(int & argc, wchar_t * * argv)  Line 209 + 0xd bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEntry(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, int nCmdShow)  Line 386 + 0xe bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)  Line 717 + 0x1c bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!__tmainCRTStartup()  Line 547 + 0x2c bytes    C
     opencpn.exe!WinMainCRTStartup()  Line 371    C
     kernel32.dll!757733aa()     
     ntdll.dll!77529ef2()     
     ntdll.dll!77529ec5()
Under Grib/Currents

Fails and busts the Debug program.

I got the break and Call Stack

Code:
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!DoShowAssertDialog(const wxString & msg)  Line 753    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxAppTraitsBase::ShowAssertDialog(const wxString & msgOriginal)  Line 557 + 0x9 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxGUIAppTraitsBase::ShowAssertDialog(const wxString & msg)  Line 635    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!ShowAssertDialog(const wchar_t * szFile, int nLine, const wchar_t * szFunc, const wchar_t * szCond, const wchar_t * szMsg, wxAppTraits * traits)  Line 836 + 0x11 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxAppConsole::OnAssertFailure(const wchar_t * file, int line, const wchar_t * func, const wchar_t * cond, const wchar_t * msg)  Line 445 + 0x22 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxOnAssert(const wchar_t * szFile, int nLine, const char * szFunc, const wchar_t * szCond, const wchar_t * szMsg)  Line 713    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxBaseArrayPtrVoid::Item(unsigned int uiIndex)  Line 810 + 0x2f bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxBaseArrayPtrVoid::operator[](unsigned int uiIndex)  Line 810 + 0x13 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxArrayPtrVoid::operator[](unsigned int uiIndex)  Line 997 + 0x13 bytes    C++
     grib_pi.dll!ArrayOfGribRecordSets::Item(unsigned int uiIndex)  Line 58 + 0x1e bytes    C++
     grib_pi.dll!GRIBUIDialog::GetTimeLineRecordSet(wxDateTime time)  Line 846 + 0xc bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxAppConsole::HandleEvent(wxEvtHandler * handler, void (wxEvent &)* func, wxEvent & event)  Line 323    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatches(const wxEventTableEntryBase & entry, wxEvtHandler * handler, wxEvent & event)  Line 1241    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEvtHandler::SearchDynamicEventTable(wxEvent & event)  Line 1421 + 0x11 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent & event)  Line 1297 + 0x15 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxControl::ProcessCommand(wxCommandEvent & event)  Line 335    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxButton::SendClickEvent()  Line 476 + 0xc bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxButton::MSWCommand(unsigned int param, unsigned short __formal)  Line 505 + 0x8 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWindow::HandleCommand(unsigned short id, unsigned short cmd, void * control)  Line 5007 + 0x1a bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWindow::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 2924 + 0x22 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxDialog::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 494 + 0x14 bytes    C++
     user32.dll!75b162fa()     
     user32.dll!75b16d3a()     
     user32.dll!75b16ce9()     
     user32.dll!75b16de8()     
     user32.dll!75b16e44()     
     ntdll.dll!7750010a()     
     user32.dll!75b172b9()     
     user32.dll!75b22161()     
     user32.dll!75b20f91()     
     user32.dll!75b20d4d()     
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWindow::MSWDefWindowProc(unsigned int nMsg, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 2240 + 0x25 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWindow::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 3427 + 0x22 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxButton::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int nMsg, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 559    C++
     user32.dll!75b162fa()     
     user32.dll!75b16d3a()     
     user32.dll!75b16ce9()     
     user32.dll!75b177c4()     
     user32.dll!75b1788a()     
     user32.dll!75b3c81f()     
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxWindow::MSWProcessMessage(tagMSG * pMsg)  Line 2407 + 0x13 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoop::PreProcessMessage(tagMSG * msg)  Line 175 + 0x14 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoop::ProcessMessage(tagMSG * msg)  Line 74 + 0x11 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoopManual::Run()  Line 115 + 0xd bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxAppBase::MainLoop()  Line 312 + 0x15 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEntryReal(int & argc, wchar_t * * argv)  Line 448 + 0x1b bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEntry(int & argc, wchar_t * * argv)  Line 209 + 0xd bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEntry(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, int nCmdShow)  Line 386 + 0xe bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)  Line 717 + 0x1c bytes    C++
     kernel32.dll!757733aa()     
     ntdll.dll!77529ef2()     
     ntdll.dll!77529ec5()
Under Gribs/Current
OSCAR-bdc9be2a-CUR-SEATEMP.grb

Code:
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxDateTime::Subtract(const wxDateTime & datetime)  Line 1869 + 0x3e bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxDateTime::operator-(const wxDateTime & dt2)  Line 1876 + 0x10 bytes    C++
     grib_pi.dll!GRIBUIDialog::GetTimeLineRecordSet(wxDateTime time)  Line 853 + 0x13 bytes    C++
     user32.dll!75b162fa()     
     user32.dll!75b16d3a()     
     user32.dll!75b16ce9()     
     user32.dll!75b16de8()     
     user32.dll!75b16e44()     
     ntdll.dll!7750010a()     
     user32.dll!75b172b9()     
     user32.dll!75b22161()     
     user32.dll!75b20f91()     
     user32.dll!75b20d4d()     
     user32.dll!75b162fa()     
     user32.dll!75b16d3a()     
     user32.dll!75b16ce9()     
     user32.dll!75b177c4()     
     user32.dll!75b1788a()     
     user32.dll!75b3c81f()     
     kernel32.dll!757733aa()     
     ntdll.dll!77529ef2()     
     ntdll.dll!77529ec5()
I haven't checked all of the Grib/Current files, but the upper directory 'grib' seem to work very well. Will try to check others tomorrow.

WHOOPS -Should have posted this to the GRIB_ENHANCEMENTS page. Will do so in the future to avoid confusion. Sorry.
Old 14-04-2013, 18:55   #129

Do these work in release mode? All of them work for me. Maybe I need to try with wx2.9 to get the asserts.
Old 14-04-2013, 21:05   #130

Does anyone have any good method for getting Current velocity into QtVLM?
AND Will it be used for route optimization?
I have downloded RTOFS gribs from Saildocs, Current velocity data of the gulf stream opens fine in OpenCPN (though you cant zoom in very far!), but I cant get them to open in QtVLM
Any help would be great! I am new at this.
v15945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 22:22   #131

RTOFS grib files from saildocs are not supported yet in qtVlm. Maybe in the next release. You can use may other currents grib, that will be taken in account in route/routing calculations. BTW this is not the correct thread, you should ask qtVlm related questions here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...vlm-74738.html
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 04:43   #132

Quote:
Do these work in release mode? All of them work for me. Maybe I need to try with wx2.9 to get the asserts
No, but they were in an earlier version.

Sean, please see Post #66 in Grib_Enhancements thread (Posted in proper thread now)
Old 15-04-2013, 07:13   #133

I have updated the enhanced grib_pi.dl , weather_routing_pi.dll and opencpn.exe
for weatherrouting, based opon a git fetch and git pull from sean's website.

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to post the link in hopes that it will work for the majority, keep in mind that Nortan may complain and remove the file. You should do what you think best. Perhaps we'll find a better way later if this proves to be a problem.

Click here and you'll see the files. Then click on each file and download it.

Let me know if there are problems.

Sean I think I can fit into your schedule, lets hope we get some other guys testing this pronto!
From Post #114 the files at this location have been updated.
Old 15-04-2013, 07:30   #134

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello RGLeason,

I search the po file and the pot file of this plugin.

Can you said where they are ?

So I can translate this plugin in french as I have translated other plugins.

Thank by advance.

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 08:03   #135

Gilletarom, tell me what they are named please and I can put in the link. Never done this before. Is it one or two files? I did upload fr.mo Is that right?

Just uploaded the others too.

Tags
paracelle, weather