Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 05:48   #1351

Boat: First 18
Re: Weather Routing - Polars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtandard View Post
I am trying to use this excellent plugin but,,, It fails to load any polar file I try, including the ones that came with it. I am on linux. Am I missing something?
You really need to post some more details on your confguration, like what Linux distro, how did you install OpenCPN and the plugin, which version, what you're doing step by step.

WeatherRouting (at least the latest versions, I'm talking about 1.11 at least, git master even better) should work properly on Linux, Windows or MacOS (well there are of course still some bugs and limitations, but those do not afftect basic usage of the plugin)
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 07:51   #1352

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Weather Routing

Sean does not and cannot compile for Windows, so I do it and post the releases in github. Therefore the download page for win points to my github release tab.

If CI and appveyor and travis ci get implimented we might improve this.

We've been working a lot on these plugins and needed the win release capability.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:09   #1353

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Sean does not and cannot compile for Windows, so I do it and post the releases in github. Therefore the download page for win points to my github release tab.

If CI and appveyor and travis ci get implimented we might improve this.

We've been working a lot on these plugins and needed the win release capability.
I know that Sean does not compile for Windows, or for MacOS for that matter. This is ok, someone else will.

The problem I see is just that we're offering on the same page (the "official" plugin download page) three different versions of the plugin, depending on the OS. This shouldn't happen. The latest version (up to Sean to decide what is this latest version) should be here, and if it is not build for some OS then we should simply say "not yet built".

It's ok to have a link saying "unstable", or "testing" versions, and put there whatever we want.

But this whole discussion about the Mac "issue", caused by the Mac users using a 18 months old release, shouldn't have happened at all.
Old 15-02-2018, 12:25   #1354

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelian View Post
I know that Sean does not compile for Windows, or for MacOS for that matter. This is ok, someone else will.

The problem I see is just that we're offering on the same page (the "official" plugin download page) three different versions of the plugin, depending on the OS. This shouldn't happen. The latest version (up to Sean to decide what is this latest version) should be here, and if it is not build for some OS then we should simply say "not yet built".

It's ok to have a link saying "unstable", or "testing" versions, and put there whatever we want.

But this whole discussion about the Mac "issue", caused by the Mac users using a 18 months old release, shouldn't have happened at all.
Well, this thing with a new Windows only release three times a day should not happen...
There is no tag in the source repository since July 16, 2016 = there has been no release since then. Simple.

Please try to understand that I am doing almost ALL the releases for almost ALL the plugins for most of the platforms, that is dozens of project with about a hundred builds to produce, test, fix, build again, test again and publish. This activity will immediately become suicidal if I will have to stalk all the developers and try to figure out whether exactly this or that commit was one that was worth releasing...
Not to mention the packagers for all those Linux distros that are not here every day - there is absolutely no chance they could follow.

But the developer's part of the solution is trivial:
- Use CI for the platforms you don't normally use.
- Before release download stuff from Crowdin.
- When the release is ready, tag it.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:30   #1355

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:

You guys can sure get testy sometimes - all well intended I know. The good news is that the WeatherRouting PI works well once you get around the install issues.

I sort of started the debate on the Mac "issue". I am running OpenCPN_4.8.2 with Weather_routing-Plugin_1.11.0 on a MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.13.3. Is my WR PI 18 months out of date?

If someone is putting their mind to solving the Mac "issue", can they also have a look at why the columns in the Weather Routing - WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml window will not hold its column format. The columns keep minimising whenever the WeatherRouting PI is closed.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:50   #1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
You guys can sure get testy sometimes - all well intended I know. The good news is that the WeatherRouting PI works well once you get around the install issues.

I sort of started the debate on the Mac "issue". I am running OpenCPN_4.8.2 with Weather_routing-Plugin_1.11.0 on a MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.13.3. Is my WR PI 18 months out of date?
No, you are using something built some weeks ago I produced when we were looking into some issue I do not remember as we both know. But I of course also do not remember what that is.
Quote:
If someone is putting their mind to solving the Mac "issue", can they also have a look at why the columns in the Weather Routing - WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml window will not hold its column format. The columns keep minimising whenever the WeatherRouting PI is closed.
The columns autosize to fill all the available space, exactly as designed and exactly as they always did. So even though I would gladly "put my mind to it", as far as I can tell the issue either does not exist or our perception of "miminize" is completely different. Picture?
Old 15-02-2018, 12:59   #1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
No, you are using something built some weeks ago I produced when we were looking into some issue I do not remember as we both know. But I of course also do not remember what that is.

The columns autosize to fill all the available space, exactly as designed and exactly as they always did. So even though I would gladly "put my mind to it", as far as I can tell the issue either does not exist or our perception of "miminize" is completely different. Picture?
Screenshot attached. Frustrating to resize the columns every time to see the data.

Thanks - Kevin
Old 15-02-2018, 13:11   #1358

Quote:
Screenshot attached. Frustrating to resize the columns every time to see the data.

Thanks - Kevin
OK, so they do not minimize and everything behaves as designed...
Old 15-02-2018, 13:25   #1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
OK, so they do not minimize and everything behaves as designed...
The formatting I would like to retain is shown in the attached screenshot. Except I cannot reduce the window hight any further - huge waste of screen underneath.

Yeh, the other issue we were discussing was having a Windows menu to allow one to pick (show) the top window. You explained that the programming language used by OpenCPN was not entirely compatible with MasOS - I accept this limitation - can't keep everyone happy.

Regards - Kevin
Old 15-02-2018, 13:29   #1360

Quote:
The formatting I would like to retain is shown in the attached screenshot.
This is very easy to do in the code, I wonder why it's coded like that (some columns are autosized, and the others are not). Maybe it was meant like this, but I cannot figure why.
Old 15-02-2018, 15:07   #1361

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Pavel cannot be expected to do everything! It is just unrealistic and unfair.
The process changes and adapts as the tools become available and as Pavel and the other programming wizards figure out the best way of doing things.

When plugins get attention and improvements that are needed, by resourceful volunteers like Stelian, Did-g, Tdan and others, it is helpful to get the beta version out for use. It appears that did-g and Pavel are working towards the Continuous Integration structure, which will be great.

Thank you Pavel and everyone, I am sure this will all get better in time.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 15:12   #1362

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
This is very easy to do in the code, I wonder why it's coded like that (some columns are autosized, and the others are not). Maybe it was meant like this, but I cannot figure why.
I can't figure it out either and I wrote this some years ago. I didn't realize some columns sized and others did not. I will change it now.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 00:08   #1363

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Sean D'Epagnier,

J'ai vu que de nouveaux items figurent dans le fichier de langue. Pour leur traduction, j'ai besoin de mieux comprendre leur signification :

- in/day
- in/month
- ft/month
- M/years (is it Month/Years ?)
- in/year
- ft/year

Thank by advance.

Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 00:35   #1364

Hi Gilletarom,

I don't see those strings neither in the source code nor in Crowdin.

There were a few missing strings in Crowdin (but not those you mention) and I've just translated them a few seconds ago, feel free to check: https://crowdin.com/translate/opencpn/126/en-fr
Old 16-02-2018, 00:40   #1365

Also, it hasn't been announced by Sean or Pavel yet, but they did the appveyor integration this night, meaning that everyone is able to download the latest build (git master) of WR for Windows here: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/sean...uild/artifacts

Hope something like that is feasible for MacOS/Linux too.

Tags
paracelle, weather