Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 18:34   #1

Weather Routing new install missing the menu

First time trying out OpenCPN. I installed OpenCPN 4.8.0 (Build 2017-08-11) on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. That went well as did the install of the plugins Grib and Climatology. What did not go well was the install of plugin Weather Routing. I followed the manual and installed it with the following command line input: sudo apt-get install opencpn-plugin-weatherrouting
It seemed to do what it was supposed to do, but when I click on Weather Routing's icon in the OpenCPN menu, I get a window labeled Weather Routing, but the menu is missing in the window.
In the upper left of the Weather Routing window. I see the labels "Positions" and "Configurations" over their respective boxes, and I see a "Compute" and "Export" buttons at the bottom of the window. The buttons are greyed out. I can even populate some positions by right clicking in the OpenCPN chart and adding a Weather Routing position. I have installed this on a Windows machine, and I know there should be a menu above the labels for Positions and Configurations. I have tried resizing the window to see if somehow they are hidden, but I still do not see a menu.

Suggestions?
ben235len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:59   #2

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Weather Routing new install missing the menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben235len View Post
First time trying out OpenCPN. I installed OpenCPN 4.8.0 (Build 2017-08-11) on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. That went well as did the install of the plugins Grib and Climatology. What did not go well was the install of plugin Weather Routing. I followed the manual and installed it with the following command line input: sudo apt-get install opencpn-plugin-weatherrouting
It seemed to do what it was supposed to do, but when I click on Weather Routing's icon in the OpenCPN menu, I get a window labeled Weather Routing, but the menu is missing in the window.
In the upper left of the Weather Routing window. I see the labels "Positions" and "Configurations" over their respective boxes, and I see a "Compute" and "Export" buttons at the bottom of the window. The buttons are greyed out. I can even populate some positions by right clicking in the OpenCPN chart and adding a Weather Routing position. I have installed this on a Windows machine, and I know there should be a menu above the labels for Positions and Configurations. I have tried resizing the window to see if somehow they are hidden, but I still do not see a menu.

Suggestions?
Hum .... On which ppa did you download WR?

If I understand correctly, you have the window that is attached. I suspect you have loaded a newer version.
I do not know if it works with O4.8.0.
In this case, a little patience until the release of the next stable version of OpenCPN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-03-OpenCPN 4.9.10202_WR.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	163324  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:50   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben235len View Post

Suggestions?
On Ubuntu, the menu is always displayed on the top of the screen, not as part of the application window by default.

You should find what you are looking for there, as shown on the attached screen shot, whenever the WR window is active.

(Note: It finally can be easily changed in 14.04 as described in https://arstechnica.com/information-...ation-windows/)

Pavel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VirtualBox_Ubuntu 64_03_02_2018_07_50_10.png
Views:	305
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	163325  
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:14   #4

Thank nohal for pointing out that the menu really is there! I feel silly, I just did not see it. The menu is at the top of the screen. I just had to move my mouse up there for it to appear.

Thanks once again!
ben235len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:47   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

This has been asked enough times that it is going to find it's way into the manual"s FAQ's for MAC.
Thankyou Pavel for the screenshots.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:35   #6

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
This has been asked enough times that it is going to find it's way into the manual"s FAQ's for MAC.
Thankyou Pavel for the screenshots.
Rick
This has nothing to do with MAC. It only concerns Ubuntu and the default Unity desktop environments. Kubuntu, for example, that uses the K desktop environments (KDE) does not have this problem.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:44   #7

Thomas, sorry. Got it now. There was recently a similar question, & pavel responded.
Old 03-02-2018, 15:04   #8

Boat: Phantom 19

Well...
macOS is a very similar case. With only one difference actually - While you can change this behaviour on Ubuntu, you can't on macOS.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 18:32   #9

Thanks Pavel, that's what I thought and it was the other example, that you solved.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:49   #10

Have added to Linux Plugin Install section

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._linux_plugins

Tags
men, weather