Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2022, 16:45   #1621

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: WeatherFax ...

Germans, particularly Bavarians are a very special case!.

What is the OS again? Sorry. Are you sure you did #4?
How can we figure this out? You had the previous version installed. Perhaps we have to install the previous version, then try the current one, while tracking what happens exactly in the user and install directories?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 20:40   #1622

Swabians even more so! grüß Gott
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 08:33   #1623

Users who have upgraded to version 1.9.40.0 who are still getting a lot of overlays that require Image Wizard. Please read the Issue reported below! Applies to users upgrading from older versions of OpenCPN and Weatherfax.

https://github.com/rgleason/weatherfax_pi/issues/128

There might be a memory issue. You cannot just install a new weatherfax version and expect it to work. I believe that the old version of coordinateSets.xml is still stored in memory and being used, and at the very least you must close OpenCPN to clear the memory and reopen it.

If that does not work, then weatherfax data files should be removed from both the user directory in (for Windows) programdata\opencpn\plugins\weatherfax ) and %localappdata%\opencpn etc and then restart OpenCPN and reinstall and enable Weatherfax.

I would very much like to know which one of these solutions is required, so please report your findings here! We would like to have a trouble free installation of weatherfax.
Old 30-06-2022, 09:06   #1624

The other alternative is to try Retrieve > Update Data Source

In any case, please report which one of these three methods works. Thank you.

PS Naufragus reports:

Quote:
It only works if I deinstall weatherfax (From the PIM interface) and delete all the folders and then make a new install of weatherfax. Maybe one can solve this problem cause I think most users will trust the updating process and are not familiar with deleting all the files and folders before.
Old 30-06-2022, 16:31   #1625

In my setting (WIN 10) the only solution was to delete the folders and install weatherfax again as a new installation. Closing open cpn to clear the memory didn't work, After doing that the version showed in the "about" window was the former version of weatherfax.

Unfortunately I don't have an elder version of weatherfax stored, so I must wait for the next update to do the update step by step and watch exactly what happens in the directories.

Today I searched all the directories again to find out where there are files of weatherfax, I noticed that weatherfax is not present in my path d:/software/opencpn/plugins, is that correct? The other plugins are stored here too.

Could it be a problem that I install some programs in D:/software not to overload C:\?
Naufragus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:20   #1626

Yes, that could be your ptoblem
Old 01-07-2022, 05:26   #1627

For those updating to version 1.9.40
See https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums....php?p=3645667

if image overlay is not working.
Old 01-07-2022, 16:20   #1628

I decided to take the long way home..... I installed open cpn completely new after deleting all files and directories and cleaning the registry. Installation path is now the regular on c:\. The plugins stored in the program directory were former versions before introducing the PIM. But they were recognized by open cpn as I could see in the opencpn.log, maybe this could lead to unwanted side effects too.

So now I have a clean installation and starting point, weatherfax is working and we'll see what happens at the next update.
Naufragus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:26   #1629

Good job naufragus. Thanks for reporting.
Old 29-08-2022, 00:27   #1630

Plugin help needed for SSB on Windows computer.

I am a new user to Weatherfax on OpenCPN using Windows 10. I am using an SSB and Pactor to retrieve and do well with HF weatherfaxes in Airmail program. I prefer to use the OpenCPN Plugin.
The program works to hear the incoming signal as it does in Airmail's plugin but I do not get anything but a blank image coming in.
I do not find the current manual as the manual in the OpenCPN manual appears to be a different version (Mac maybe?). I wonder if there is an option in settings regarding filters or phase or other that will get my image to come in properly. I do not understand how to adjust those. I do have a good signal coming in at this time.

Thank you,
Harley
SV/Prudence
EdenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 05:02   #1631

Re: Plugin help needed for SSB on Windows computer.

EdenRose,

It is great that you have SSB and Pactor to try/test weatherfax. We really need someone to help us make sure this feature is working, and your report is the first one in quite some time.

What OS are you using? What version of OpenCPN and what version of Weatherfax? The sound libraries are different for each OS. You say you can hear the sound which is good. Since the decoder does not seem to be decoding the image, that is where we will need to work. Sean is the author and I am just a maintainer. I hope Sean will have some ideas about how to fix this and will respond.

The manual has not changed much since moving it to asciidoc/antora, but the new manual is here and the old manual is here

We have recently updated the schedules and weatherfax internet images so that it is current. Please note that the terrain keeps changing and we depend on users to advise regarding new or changed resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenRose View Post
I am a new user to Weatherfax on OpenCPN using Windows 10. I am using an SSB and Pactor to retrieve and do well with HF weatherfaxes in Airmail program. I prefer to use the OpenCPN Plugin.
The program works to hear the incoming signal as it does in Airmail's plugin but I do not get anything but a blank image coming in.
I do not find the current manual as the manual in the OpenCPN manual appears to be a different version (Mac maybe?). I wonder if there is an option in settings regarding filters or phase or other that will get my image to come in properly. I do not understand how to adjust those. I do have a good signal coming in at this time.

Thank you,
Harley
SV/Prudence
Old 29-08-2022, 05:11   #1632

I am using Windows 10 and OpenCPN 5.6.2 and Plug in 1.91.41.0
I cannot hear the sound in OpenCPN but I can in the radio and the Airmail WeatherFax does give a good image from the connection, but I prefer to make it work in OpenCPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
EdenRose,

It is great that you have SSB and Pactor to try/test weatherfax. We really need someone to help us make sure this feature is working, and your report is the first one in quite some time.

What OS are you using? What version of OpenCPN and what version of Weatherfax? The sound libraries are different for each OS. You say you can hear the sound which is good. Since the decoder does not seem to be decoding the image, that is where we will need to work. Sean is the author and I am just a maintainer. I hope Sean will have some ideas about how to fix this and will respond.

The manual has not changed much since moving it to asciidoc/antora, but the new manual is here and the old manual is here

We have recently updated the schedules and weatherfax internet images so that it is current. Please note that the terrain keeps changing and we depend on users to advise regarding new or changed resources.
Old 29-08-2022, 05:16   #1633

I should add I am now getting noise image when the time/signal are bad. There are several places to put in preferences in the plug in and I do not know what to enter in those fields. I will test again when we have good signal later in the day, but any help with all the parameters needed to control the input and image would be appreciated.

Quote:
EdenRose,

Old 29-08-2022, 05:42   #1634

Thanks, have emailed Sean about this. Would like to get it corrected if possible. Are you available for testing?
Old 29-08-2022, 05:43   #1635

Quote:
Thanks, have emailed Sean about this. Would like to get it corrected if possible. Are you available for testing?
Yes I am for the next few weeks.

Harley
SV/Prudence

Tags
paracelle