Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 13:07   #931

Boat: First 18
Re: WeatherFax ...

No, it's not your Internet connection. Just selecting "Passage Weather" and clicking to "All regions" takes a very very long time (on Windows). On Linux it's ok, less than a second.
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 13:58   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelian View Post
No, it's not your Internet connection. Just selecting "Passage Weather" and clicking to "All regions" takes a very very long time (on Windows). On Linux it's ok, less than a second.
Fixed, pull request submitted.
Old 19-12-2017, 15:39   #933

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Boy you're quick Stelian. Will pull tonight.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 18:46   #934

The weatherfax_pi 1.7007 release is here:

https://github.com/rgleason/weatherf...ses/tag/1.7007

It has been run and downloading tested. The display of urls and adjustment of columns, after selection of "Region" takes about 8 seconds.

Selection of "Region" is easier and does not freeze now. This is more usable. Will RPI users please advise. I like the column width auto adjustment feature.
Old 20-12-2017, 00:10   #935

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello All,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
The weatherfax_pi 1.7007 release is here:

https://github.com/rgleason/weatherf...ses/tag/1.7007

It has been run and downloading tested. ...
Quick test this morning. Indeed, Internet, then "Passageweather" then "Mediterranean". No waiting period.

However, I observe a problem with "COAMPS 30". See the two screenshots attached. The timeout for COAMPS 30 has been long and a second window has opened to say, it's probably a bug.

Bug can be, unless the chart for COAMPS 30 does not exist and in this case it is not a bug.

But, in fact, it was the server that was slow. After a second test, no problem, COAMPS 30 and the following have arrived.

We must get used to the users to have patience.

Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coamps_30_1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	160754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coamps_30_2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	160755  

Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 08:10   #936

Gille, I don't have any suggestion for the internet delay & waking up the server, but it is good to know about it. Sometimes I Cancel and try again and it works.

Stelian, I have a suggestion for the new dynamic sensing column width feature which should speed it up considerably.

Only use the first Five URL's to define the column width. That should save lots of time on the longer url lists and still be very readable! It will also work much better on low power systems...
Old 20-12-2017, 10:39   #937

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Stelian, I have a suggestion for the new dynamic sensing column width feature which should speed it up considerably.

Only use the first Five URL's to define the column width. That should save lots of time on the longer url lists and still be very readable! It will also work much better on low power systems...
The way it's done right now is that the dynamic column width sensing is only done once, after the list has been fully populated.

It's quite fast on Linux, a bit slower on Windows. I think a real test should be done on a RPi to see if it's ok or not (it's a low end system, but on the other hand it runs Linux)

Another way of doing the columns sizing would be: manually calculate in the plugin the size needed for each column (and we could use either the full contents, or only the first entries), and set the column size to a fixed size in pixels. This may be faster perhaps.
Old 20-12-2017, 12:34   #938

Quote:
The way it's done right now is that the dynamic column width sensing is only done once, after the list has been fully populated.
Perhaps there a way to have it complete after checking just 5 rows of columns or even just the first row of columns, rather than going through all lines and columns?
That is what is slowing it down I think.

Quote:
Another way. .. manually calculate the width needed for each column ...using the first entries, and set the column size to a fixed size in pixels. This may be faster perhaps.
I'm interested in this option, lets see what RPI guuys say next.
Old 27-12-2017, 07:37   #939

Compiled weatherfax_pi on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) using CodeBlocks.

Made a DEB package and tried to install the plugin with GDebi Package Installer.

The version number had not "carried across" and the WeatherFax plugin could not be installed.

Used 'sudo make install' and moved the plugin .so from 'usr/local/lib/opencpn' to 'usr/lib/opencpn'. WeatherFax is now working (after getting the data files sorted out).

It may be my workflow that is the problem but perhaps one of the cmake files is in error.

Edit: Added the following to CMakeLists.txt and the problem went away:

SET(VERSION_MAJOR "1")
SET(VERSION_MINOR "7")

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weatherfax_pi_package.png
Views:	80
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	161104  
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 10:37   #940

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

There is clearly a discrepancy between PLUGIN_VERSION_MAJOR and VERSION_MAJOR for packaging... I don't remember the reasoning for the change I will try to find it.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 03:57   #941

Hi,

am playing around with different weather faxes. Can the 'projection' used by DWD in their North Atlantic-Europe analysis (https://tinyurl.com/y7lr9bdf) be used with the WeatherFax plugin? Struggling to find the right settings (eg Input type).

Thanks,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 11:41   #942

Carsten we had that site, but they screwed the urls so they rotate and change. If you can give me a list of static urls (they must not change day to day or have date or other identifiers) with the english description I can and would like to add dwd.

You can also explain to them why we need static urls and ask them to provide such a page. Metro offices often oblige.
Old 14-01-2018, 12:31   #943

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40' or is it 39'?? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
Hi,

am playing around with different weather faxes. Can the 'projection' used by DWD in their North Atlantic-Europe analysis (https://tinyurl.com/y7lr9bdf) be used with the WeatherFax plugin? Struggling to find the right settings (eg Input type).

Thanks,

Carsten
Hi Carsten,

the projection of the DWD charts is: Polar!!

If you take the "Analysis chart" - this is too big for the weatherfax calculator. Do the following:

1. Download the chart it should read bwk_bodendruck_na_ana.png
2. Open the file in Microsoft "Paint" and reduce the size to 40%
3. Then store it as a .JPG file (bwk_bodendruck_na_ana.jpg) - this way you still have the original file for later manipulation, if needed. (Ignore any "error messages concernig transparency etc. )
4. Open the .jpg file now in the Weatherfax Plugin.
5. As Entry Type (Eingangstyp) select "Polar"
6. Click (at least I do so) with the first co-ordinate at the location 50° N and 060° W (Enter the values: Lat.: 50, Long.: -60)
7. For the lower right corner click at 30°N, 030° E (Enter the values: Lat.: 30, Long.: 30)
8 At the bottom of the screen enter in the field Pol X a value of 1117 and into Pol Y a value of -248 as a start.
9. Check, if the blue lines are overlaying the 50th and 30th parallel. If they don't, they should at least be pretty close. By manipulatint thies numbers a bit up and down, you should get the blue lines matching the parallels.
10. When satisfied just click next and the weatherfax drawing mechanism will start.
11. Even the reduced file is still VERY big, so, the drawing takes a while - and the menue buttons at the bottom of the window will get lost. You will find them back, when you move the mouse pointer a bit around over the upper right corner of the window, ther you will suddenly find the "Finish" (Fertigstellen) Button pop up. Just click on Finish wait the fraction of a second and enjoy .... :-)

Honestly I was flabbergasted on how precise this overlay works. Sean is my CHAMPION!!!!

As to the "prediction" Charts e.g. "ico_tkboden_na_024.png these are smaller and need no pre-processing with "Paint". They are Polar projections as well, I use as reference points again Lat.: 50, Long.: -60 for the upper left corner but for the lower "right" I use Lat.: 40 and Long.: 0. Pol X has a value of 510 and Pol Y -111 on my system. So, just try. With these smaller files the menu at the bottom left of the window still is there ....

There is more to it to explain, bu I don't wat to overdo this here.

Have fun,

Best regards, Uwe
HUR450502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 12:34   #944

... excellent Uwe - thanks!

I 'thought' the projection is Polar but had no idea it might be too big.

Will try it first thing tomorrow but have no doubt it will work as explained.

Thanks again,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 13:54   #945

So there are no static urls?

Tags
paracelle