Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2018, 14:36   #961

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40' or is it 39'?? :-)
Re: WeatherFax ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelian View Post
Hi Uwe,

I'm not sure what version of weatherfax you're testing, but normally the DWD coordinates are already present in Sean's repo (I did them a few weeks ago).

If you don't have the latest version, you can manually get the files from Sean's repo (https://github.com/seandepagnier/wea...dinateSets.xml and https://github.com/seandepagnier/wea...tRetrieval.xml and overwrite yours), then test.

If the coordinates are wrong, of course, feel free to submit a better version !

Stelian.
Hi Stelian, and hi Rick,

I "thought" I had the latest release of weatherfax downloaded and installed. Now I am not quite sure any longer, went to the website and downloaded version 1.7007 - which I must have overlooked. I believe my last version was 1.7005 and this version definitely did not have the co-ordinates in for DWD.

Now testing version 1.7007 (which contains the exact files you mentioned Stelian) I find the co-ordinates for the "big" analysis file quite ok - as I previously did all this by downloading and calibrating the files on every download, I know, that the files from DWD are not 100% equal - therefore, slight differences (lines drifting a bit from south to north, etc.) are unavoidable in my opinion.

So, all this is fine.

However, the calibration for the "smaller" files, (24 hr etc-. forecast) in my opinion is not ok. Here differences are too big and I would prefer the data I sent in my previous post (the file with the .xls ending...).

This however brings me back to Ricks comment above - how can I do a re-calibration of an already pre-calibrated map?

I would love to provide whatever things I did (and still do) here, to share with others to avoid inventing the wheel several tiimes.

As mentioned in my previous post - the calibration of the maps went straight into the CoordinateSets.xml (not the UserCoordinateSets.xml). I understand from Ricks post, that - if there are any changes and one would do a "user" re-calibration of an existing map, this would go to the UserCoordinateSets.xml. ... but how do I get there??

Some advice would be helpful, ok??

Thank you all and best regards from meantime VERY dark Germany .... :-)

Uwe
HUR450502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 15:29   #962

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Uwe,
I fully appreciate the time you have spent and would like to find a way to make this easy and quick, and to encourage others around the world to share their new urls and weatherfax coords. ( You can imagine how long it takes to check the entire world, which I've done 3x's so far. The second time it never saw the light of day because of PR and download updates!) There is a fairly frequent rate of change as you have noticed. Any ideas to improve this process would be welcome. It is very nice to have someone learning the process!!

Quote:
However, the calibration for the "smaller" files, (24 hr etc-. forecast) in my opinion is not ok. Here differences are too big and I would prefer the data I sent in my previous post (the file with the .xls ending...).
Yes, we have those coordinatesets.xml

Quote:
This however brings me back to Ricks comment above - how can I do a re-calibration of an already pre-calibrated map?
It's quite easy, just highlight the image and pick File > Edit
See attached images.

Quote:
I would love to provide whatever things I did (and still do) here, to share with others to avoid inventing the wheel several tiimes.
Agreed, I would also really appreciate someone helping to develop step by step instructions with images, about the process and files that could be add to a support file for the Weatherfax_pi. It would help to document this process better. I've written about it extensively in the thread too.
- We also need to refine exactly what data we need to make changes and in what format.

Quote:
As mentioned in my previous post - the calibration of the maps went straight into the CoordinateSets.xml (not the UserCoordinateSets.xml). I understand from Ricks post, that - if there are any changes and one would do a "user" re-calibration of an existing map, this would go to the UserCoordinateSets.xml. ... but how do I get there??
Yes, direct modifications (File > Edit if there are changes) will go directly into the Coords designation in Coordinatesets.xml except in certain situations which you have control over.

The key that you must look at is the second Screen of the Image Wizard in the upper right corner, "Image Coordinates" which is the coordinatesets name identifier in the coordinateset.xml record.
Image coordinates is a "dropdown menu" which allows the user to select "New coord". Normally this is not necessary.

Occasionally the Met office will change the image format for one of the images in a "set" which all used the same "image coord" before.
The choice "New coord" will direct all the settings into the "usercoordinateset.xml" file. It is worthwhile noting exactly what the "image coord" name is in this case, so you can retrieve it from the file and place it in the coordinateset.xml file (along with making the appropriate change in the weatherfaxinternetfretrival.xml file (which we can get into next).

Now here are the screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-RetrieveImage.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	162338   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-File-Edit.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	162339  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-ImageWizaard-First-Screen.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	162340   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-ImageWizard-Second-Screen.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	162341  

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 05:52   #963

Dear Rick,

it is so EASY !!!!! I think we should award Sean some drink or similar for all his ingenious work .... :-)

However, give me some time to go through this, I am sure, there will be more questions coming up - especially, how to make sure that only changes are being captured and that way you do not get corrupted data.

Ok, I will come back when I have any good results and ideas....

All the best,

Uwe
Old 16-01-2018, 06:15   #964

When do I need to make a new Image Coord?

Uwe,

Here are some advanced questions. Perhaps you can answer them better than I have done.
When do I need to make a new image coord?
What happens when I make a new image coord?
What can I do to incorporate that new image coord into my coordinatesets.xml and weathefaxinternetretrieval.xml?
  1. The tricky part is when you need to make a new "Image Coord" which is needed when two URL/images are sharing the same "Image Coord" but now have different coordinates.
  2. Keep track of the Image Coord [the exact name...coord 1, coord 2, cord3] that goes into usercoordinatesets.xml, along with
  3. Keeping track of exactly which URL and image that coordinateset applies to.
  4. Then copying that coordinate set from usercoordinateset.xml into the coordinatesets.xml file, and renaming the "image coord" name appropriately.
  5. Then changing your weatherfaxinternetretrieval.xml file appropriately so that the URL/image knows what coordinateset to use!
  6. Also understanding that weatherfaxinternetretrival.xml is held in your C:/programfiles (x86)/opencpn/plugin/weatherfax folder and normally can't be edited without admin privileges, and that coordinatesets.xml is copied into your programdata/opencpn/plugins/weatherfax folder and is writeable and does get updated as you use the Image Wizard. Just as the usercoordinatesets.xml when you must make a new "Image Coord".
  7. Visualizing how the system works.
  8. Understanding exactly what information is needed to make meaningful changes that work!
Old 16-01-2018, 06:36   #965

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\weatherfax_pi\data
Quote:
Coordinatesets.xml ---> copied automatically
to c:/programdata/opencp/plugins//weatherfax/

WeatherfaxInternetRetrieval.xml -used from here.

WeatherFaxSchedules.xml - used from here
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weatherfax
Quote:
Coordinatesets.xml - Saves existing revised coordinates
Usercoordinatesets.xml - Saves new coordinates
These files are accessed and used by the Weatherfax Image Wizard.
To get the saved coordinate information transferred into coordinatesets.xml and the respective changes needed into weatherfaxinternetretrieval.xml is a manual process which needs to be understood.
Old 16-01-2018, 06:59   #966

In C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weatherfax\coordina teset.xml we find the first record:

Quote:
<Coordinate Name="Aviation Weather - Aviation Satellite Imagery - A" X1="51" Y1="122" Lat1="60.00000" Lon1="-130.00000" X2="812" Y2="1045" Lat2="-50.00000" Lon2="-20.00000" Mapping="Mercator" MappingMultiplier="1.0000" MappingRatio="1.0000" />
Notice this tag "Aviation Weather - Aviation Satellite Imagery - A"
WeatherfaxInternetRetrieval.xml must have this tag associated with a URL/image to use this coordinateset. Also it is useful to understand that this version of coordinatesets.xml is the most current, storing your changes to coordinates from the Image Wizard (except new ones which are stored in usercoordinateset.xml)

In C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\weatherfax_pi\data\ WeatherfaxInternetRetrieval.xml we find Server="Aviation Weather" Region Name = "Sat Images" and Area="A" as the last identifier for the coordinateset, resulting in a concatenated "Aviation Weather - Sat Images - A"

Quote:
<Server Name="Aviation Weather" Url="http://aviationweather.gov/data/obs/sat/intl/">
<Region Name="Sat Images">
<Map Url="ir_ICAO-A_bw.jpg" Contents="Americas" Area="A" />
<Map Url="ir_ICAO-B1_bw.jpg" Contents="Atlantic" Area="B1" />
<Map Url="ir_ICAO-C_bw.jpg" Contents="Europe Africa" Area="C" />
<Map Url="ir_ICAO-D_bw.jpg" Contents="Europe Africa Asia" Area="D" />
<Map Url="ir_ICAO-E_bw.jpg" Contents="Indian Ocean and Oceania" Area="E" />
<Map Url="ir_ICAO-F_bw.jpg" Contents="Pacific" Area="F" />
<Map Url="ir_ICAO-M_bw.jpg" Contents="North Pacific" Area="M" />

<Area Name="A" lat1="50S" lat2="70N" lon1="130W" lon2="30W" />
<Area Name="B1" lat1="45S" lat2="63N" lon1="120W" lon2="40E" />
<Area Name="C" lat1="40S" lat2="75N" lon1="35W" lon2="70E" />
<Area Name="D" lat1="20S" lat2="62N" lon1="10W" lon2="130E" />
<Area Name="E" lat1="50S" lat2="40N" lon1="26E" lon2="180" />
<Area Name="F" lat1="50S" lat2="50N" lon1="100E" lon2="110W" />
<Area Name="M" lat1="10S" lat2="70N" lon1="100E" lon2="110W" />
</Region>
</Server>

Also in the same file are the URL and Image references for Aviation Weather.

Find the Url="http://aviationweather.gov/data/obs/sat/intl/"
The program then adds the file name, for example "ir_ICAO-A_bw.jpg"

Quote:
<Map Url="ir_ICAO-A_bw.jpg" Contents="Americas" Area="A" />
Then notice that this record also has the final coordinate identifier Area="A"

Which is used by the program to find the correct coordinateset in the coordinateset.xml file shown above:

Quote:
Coordinate Name="Aviation Weather - Aviation Satellite Imagery - A"
One part of which was shortened to "Sat Images" and so the coordinatesets.xml should probably be changed accordingly next time it is issued.
Old 16-01-2018, 07:21   #967

UserCoordinateSet.xml

C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weatherfax\usercoor dinatesets.xml

Quote:
<Coordinate Name="New Coord 1" X1="867" Y1="40" Lat1="50.00000" Lon1="-40.00000" X2="360" Y2="758" Lat2="15.00000" Lon2="-75.00000" Mapping="Polar" InputPoleX="606" InputPoleY="-435" InputEquator="817.00000" InputTrueRatio="0.9080" MappingMultiplier="1.0000" MappingRatio="0.6200" />
There were two of these "New Coord 1" in my file. I took the last one because that is the most current one saved. This usercoordinatesets.xml file is just a notepad area to save a users newly created coordinatesets. There is no field to identify it with any particular image.

The User themselves must take out a notepad and write the URL,Image and Server and exactly which usercoordinatesets.xml "New Coord" name is being used, in order to be able to reuse the coordinates that have been saved by Image Wizard. Once you close weatherfax, the connection will be forever forgotten and must be supplied by the user's notes!

Quote:
URL-Server-Image ----> New Coord name!
This is exactly what we need to change the weatherfaxinternetretrieval.xml and coordinatesets.xml!

So we need:
  1. Your notes as above, URl-server-image ---> new coord name in the usercoordinatesets.xml file
  2. Your usercoordinatesets.xml file
  3. Your coordinatesets.xml file (with a list of each coordinate changed, or simply delete the ones you did not change - which is better)
  4. And of course any new Metro Servers that have static urls, along with the exact static urls that you want to use.

NOTE: You must identify exactly which URL-Server-Images you have changed in the coordinatesets.xml, or I will simply have to delete this file, as I am not to going to sort through and try to figure out what has been changed!
Old 16-01-2018, 10:47   #968

sorry Riock, just came home. So, what is it, I should do?
The questions under "When do I need to make a new image coord " - in my opinion is answered exhaustively.

The following posts I understand are some advice to me, on how to handle changes, is that correct?

I will work through this and also try to understand the functions and interactions (and when) beween the different .XML files and then come back, when/if I have any changes, ok??

Best regards, Uwe
Old 16-01-2018, 15:12   #969

[QUOTE=HUR450502;2556855]sorry Rick, just came home. So, what is it, I should do?

Quote:
The questions under "When do I need to make a new image coord " - in my opinion is answered exhaustively.
Good! Glad it's understood!

Quote:
The following posts I understand are some advice to me, on how to handle changes, is that correct?
Not so much for you, because you understand it, but for everyone, also to explain the structure and why we need certain things to update the xml files.

Quote:
I will work through this and also try to understand the functions and interactions (and when) between the different .XML files and then come back, when/if I have any changes, ok??
Great. Thanks.
Old 17-01-2018, 05:20   #970

Hi Rick,

attached please find the changes for the DWD - Co-ordinates.

As already mentioned earlier, the co-ordinates for the analysis chart were quite ok, however, as I was working on them, I made them a bit more precise. But as I mentioned also, sometimes the projections change slightly in the input files. This is going back and forth and this should still be ok for navigation at this map-scale. ...

The co-ordinates for the 24 -108 hr forecasts too were - quite substantionally - out of proportion. The attached data should do better....

As to the 500mb charts ("C") - these were very much out of proportion. As the Lat/Long (dotted) lines are more or less invisible on the charts, the calibration is a bit tricky, but I think this too now is close enough.

Please have a look. The data is almost at the end of the CoordinatSets.xml. So no long searching. There are no changes necessary for the other .xmls, just the CoordinatSets.xml in the weatherfax plugin data under "All Users/opencpn/plugins/weatherfax". (And of course in the "root" file in the weatherfax/data path in the (x86)program-directory)

Is this ok with you??

All the best, Uwe
Attached Files
File Type: txt DWD-Coordinates.txt (932 Bytes, 38 views)
Old 17-01-2018, 05:45   #971

Boat: Sailboat

Uwe

Thanks! I just tested all your calibrations and they look really good. Since Rick is looking for help maintaining some of the calibrations, you probably just volunteered, for at least the DWD charts

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 07:50   #972

Uwe, much better You're a pro.

Retaining only changed records in a renamed DWD- coordinatesets.xml is an excellent approach. Confirming there were no changes in the usercoordinates.xml with respective URL-server-image, is also good.

Suggesting to copy your active coordinatesets.xml in the User files (C:/programdata/opencpn/plugins/weatherfax) back to the respective program directory C:/programfile x86/opencpn4.8.0/plugins/weatherfax/data is an appropriate way to keep your changes.

It is also a good habit to just copy that file to some document directory until the plugin gets released again. If I had a few more XML changes/improvements, I'd issue a new release.

Good job. Thanks!
Old 17-01-2018, 07:55   #973

Are there any ideas to improve the manual?
I did a rework a little while ago, but I think we need to add a sub-page about "User update of XML files" or just "XML Files" ?
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...her:weatherfax
Old 18-01-2018, 19:27   #974

I have checked and fixed all NOAA files including and up to the end of Passageweather.

Can someone else take it from there and check and fix the next segment?

Then we can reissue the XML files.
Old 19-01-2018, 03:46   #975

While checking the many weatherfax urls I had to wait each time for 12 to 15 seconds each time for the opencpn screen to go black (memory overload) and then wait for the regional selections to appear, during which time the user cannot change the selection either. The plugin did not work this way before.
Memory use is better and the plugin does not crash opencpn after many downloads where o's memory use has gone up to 800mb, it just stops downloading and acts weirdly. Then I have to close the plugin and opencpn to clear the memory and get it working normally.

I would really like to have that 12-15 second pause with black screen fixed. On an RPI that is probably 30 seconds of wait time.

Tags
paracelle