Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 13:14   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: WiGig for Radar, AIS & Nmea stream

What does Dual Band offer, or multiband? Would that overcome the 1/2 duplex? -if the second band could be devotef to the other half somehow?

We aren't after range, we are after duplicating the ethernet on wifi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 03:05   #17

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
1. Wait for stanards to solve it.
2. Get at least a router or other device and run udpxy AND modify O to make requsts.
3. Hardwire the radar.
Waiting for new standards you never know how long you're going to wait. Hardwiring is going to be best but obviously not a solution for tablets.

I suspect (but those with more knowledge, please chip in!) that multicast to unicast conversion (sending via unicast to those stations the AP has seen relevant membership reports from) on the access point may be the domain of higher-end commercial kit but I did google some discussions from late last year about adding the facility to OpenWRT. Anyone involved with that got more info (or know of other affordable access points/routers it's a possibility on)?

The easy option might be an access point which allows setting of multicast rate, cranking it up and maybe reducing DTIM interval at the expense of tablet battery life. Do the apple airports have that facility, or anything else without a "commercial" price tag that forum members are aware of?

A quick look at the BR24 plugin code suggests that the way it is written it will accept data sent to the correct UDP port on any address the system is listening on (i.e. not only the intended multicast group). That does offer the possibility of translating multicast to unicast elsewhere off the wireless network and firing it at the computer running OCPN. Easy enough to do with socat on a linux system (or open source router) if you have a fixed address for your computer but frankly a bit of a faff if you have to set it up manually. You'd also need to prevent multicast from being propagated to wireless.

Maybe what you need here is a large group of relatively tech-savvy boaters with a wide range of networking solutions on their boats that could fiddle with settings on their access points and report back via some, oh I don't know, international Internet forum or something, about what works for radar-over-wireless.....
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 09:17   #18

Thanks Muttnik for your thoughts.

Maybe this forum or a new thread is the best candidate. So we don't think new 10x faster technology like WiGig would hammer this into shape and it appears that Dual band would not work because the client is on 5mz or 2.4mhz but not both.

Ah just found something else.
Simultaneous Dual Band
Why Choose Simultaneous Dual Band

Simultaneous Dual Band Routers provide the ultimate in flexibility and performance by providing two independent, dedicated networks.

Any way to put the Radar on one and Nmea +AIS on the other along with the 1/2 duplex transmit side from Opencpn to Radar, leaving the stream from the Radar to Opencpn be on a dedicated network?
Old 23-01-2015, 14:46   #19

Nobeltec TimeZero app 2015, Furuno DRS4W WiFi radar overlay & more - See more at: Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Nobeltec TimeZero app 2015, Furuno DRS4W WiFi radar overlay & more!
Also Nobeltec TimeZero app 2015, Furuno DRS4W WiFi radar overlay & more! | Sailfeed

Can Nobeltec Time Zero be connected to a Furuno Radar using a WIFI connection? | Nobeltec
"The Radar echo transmission requires a lot of bandwidth. While a WIFI connection can theoretically reach 54MBps, the ping time (response time) is often too long and the radar picture will show artifact (circular lines) and radar sweep may be missed. We only recommend connecting Nobeltec TimeZero and the Radar using an Ethernet cable."

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5e1e45...and_AIS_01.pdf

"1st Watch Radar with its fixed WiFi name (SSID) and password acts as the central access point, so whatever WiFi bridge you use to send out Heading, AIS, etc. from the boat system must be able to join a network, not just create one.

But this feature is becoming more common, like with the Vesper XB8000 AIS transceiver that has recently been distributing AIS, Depth, Wind, etc. via Gizmo’s own WiFi router. At any rate, picture the above diagram with a Vesper bridge/transponder plus a few sensors and instrument displays"

http://www.nmea.org/Assets/12-2nobel...patibility.pdf

Wifi is coming.
Old 25-01-2015, 17:38   #20

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

I'm following this discussion as I'm planning my install.
I'm trying to interface with NMEA2000 and Simrad or Garmin radar.

I found this router vYacht Yacht automation
It runs on OpenWrt firmware and modified gpsd for NMEA and seatalk processing.

And it's 120$..

Seems pretty optimal,exept it is 2xNMEA0183/seatalk OR NMEA2000 and I can't see if it transmit on NMEA2000 or only recieves.

Or maybe some of the excellent programmers on this site could modify the software to fit a rasberry/beagle/banana-something where we could get two-way 0183/seatalk AND 2000 in one unit. That would be a project I would donate to!

.manitu
Old 25-01-2015, 18:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
I'm following this discussion as I'm planning my install.
I'm trying to interface with NMEA2000 and Simrad or Garmin radar.

I found this router vYacht Yacht automation
It runs on OpenWrt firmware and modified gpsd for NMEA and seatalk processing.

And it's 120$..

Seems pretty optimal,exept it is 2xNMEA0183/seatalk OR NMEA2000 and I can't see if it transmit on NMEA2000 or only recieves.

Or maybe some of the excellent programmers on this site could modify the software to fit a rasberry/beagle/banana-something where we could get two-way 0183/seatalk AND 2000 in one unit. That would be a project I would donate to!

.manitu
I just got the Seatalk/NMEA version of this router. Page 12 of the manual refers to the "NMEA 2000 input version" of the router. That implies that it only listens to NMEA 2000, and doesn't talk to it. Note, also, that TCP connections in OpenCPN are input or output only - not both - so that would limit you even if the router was bidirectional.

Bernd responded to some questions that I had before I purchased, and he has been very responsive to some SeaTalk translation problems that I discovered. So I would just email him with your questions before purchasing.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 02:17   #22

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Note, also, that TCP connections in OpenCPN are input or output only - not both - so that would limit you even if the router was bidirectional.
I think you'll find things have changed in 4.0...
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, nmea, radar