Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2014, 06:21   #1

Angry Win 7 64 bit, BU-353 Stopped Working

HI
I have Win 7 Pro Toshiba Satellite, a BU-353 GPS that were working some time ago. They work fine with Ozie Explorer. They stopped working with OPENCPN. I reloaded OPENCPN and the drivers for BU-353. Went to Device manager and changed the Com port several times. Each time Ozie explorer works but OPENCPN does not.
I go to connections and start nema window and nothing. I installed the GPSinfo program on the disk with BU-353 and it does not connect. I have been fooling with this for a while and now think I am missing something simple. Any ideas?
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 06:33   #2

Re: Win 7 64 bit, BU-353 stopped working

Did you disconnect the gps from OziExplorer before trying to connect to OpenCPN?

Franson GpsGate will let your BU353 work with two mapping programs. Free download.

Could be something else though
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 07:43   #3

Re: Win 7 64 bit, BU-353 Stopped Working

What i do is plug in the gps, go to "control panel" then "view devices and printers". Then find "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM?). Take the ? Number and set this in Open cpn and it should work. You will need to check this setting whenever you change usb ports.

Andy

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 20:06   #4

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Andy's suggestion should work.

If you're using the Prolific USB to RS232 converter you may be running out of luck. I've had quite a few bits of software become unable to talk properly through the Prolific chipset since a driver update was released and auto-installed around 8months ago.

Unfortunately, most of the USB/RS232 converters you'll find in the shops nowadays are based upon the Prolific chipset. The only solution I've found in some cases is to find an older laptop with a serial port and go direct.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk
Old 22-04-2014, 23:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Andy's suggestion should work.

If you're using the Prolific USB to RS232 converter you may be running out of luck. I've had quite a few bits of software become unable to talk properly through the Prolific chipset since a driver update was released and auto-installed around 8months ago.

Unfortunately, most of the USB/RS232 converters you'll find in the shops nowadays are based upon the Prolific chipset. The only solution I've found in some cases is to find an older laptop with a serial port and go direct.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk
I had the same problem with a USB radio programming cable. It suddenly stopped working and after a little head scratching, I discovered it was after a windows update. I did a google search for an older driver, re-installed it over the newer driver and it started working again.

Check your hardware devices list in control panel and see if the prolific usb-serial device has a warning next to it. If it has a comm error, like device unable t ostart, just do a google search for old prolific driver. If there's no error and it has a comm ort assigned, take note of the comm port number and enter it into the opencpn program.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 00:07   #6

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I don't know about OziExplorer but OpenCPN supports GPSd as well as the direct connection you have been using. You can use GPSd to connect to the GPS and then provide the data to OpenCPN and other apps simultaneously. The GPSd approach is likely to work for a long time (my brother is on the team and has a house full of GPS pucks with the Prolific chip inside).

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 03:09   #7

Thanks
I have done all of that except the windows update/old driver. Will try that as I kind of though windows update is it.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote