Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 18:24   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Win 8.1 Surface Pro3 GPS

I currently have a GlobalSat BR-355 Serial PS2 with PS2 extension cable wired to VHF/DSC and 5vdc power for emergency position. It also goes to Nmea IN on ST60 Autopilot Control. It can also works with Dell Win 7 laptop via a special USB connector, however it does not work with Win 8.1 on the Surface Pro 3. I will keep this setup for the VHF

I am considering
getting Bluetooth GPS with the requirement that it work with Win 8.1 and the SP3 Tablet. Some choices are
- Globalsat BT-821C high performance Bluetooth GPS receiver.
- Globalsat BT-821C BT-821C Bluetooth GPS
- Garmin GLO Bluetooth GPS

Are there any suggestions about other BT units, battery life, ease of connection that would be helpful? - I have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse too.

The other alternative would be a hardwired solution updating what I have already to work with Win 8.1, but I am favoring the BT option right now
- GlobalSat BR-355-S4 Serial GPS Receiver with BR-305 USB8 Cable
(Which will work with both the VHF or the Surface Pro3, according to Globalsat)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 02:43   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Win 8.1 Surface Pro3 GPS

I had a hard wired gps with my vista system which I used with opencpn as the backup nav system.
When I got a tablet with windows 8 the gps did not work and I called the mfg of the puck who said it would not work with windows 8 and I had to get a new one.
I finally found one in Crotone Italy - a Hamlet Bluetooth that works well and is solar powered.
good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 04:02   #3

Boat: Amel Sharki

I have tried the BT Hamlet and found out it is very faible and weak. It takes very long to get a fix after cold start.
Trying several BT GPS the best one is still Qstarz 818XT which has several advantages like switch for 1 Hz / 10 Hz, long battery live, fast response after cold or hot start and more.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:59   #4

The last few days I've been trying using my Samsung S4 GPS over Bluetooth. I have two computers with Opencpn (up to 7 computers) running with this BT gps. It is pretty good once setup and going. Plugged the S4 and ran it all day with Gps. Could shutdown opencpn and start it again and gps worked.
A couple of times I needed to stop and start the cell phone bluetooth because the connection was losr, however it seemed reasonably reliable.I was using the program by Meows called Bluetooth GPS output.
What is other people's experience with BT GPS? Is it reliable enough to use daily?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-07-2015, 16:21   #5

Globalstar BU-353 S4 with usb plug works very easily with surfacepro3. Driver installed automatically.

Have bluetooth Holux GPSlim 240 which works on Dell laptop but have not figured out drivers for Win8.1

Old 08-07-2015, 04:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Have bluetooth Holux GPSlim 240 which works on Dell laptop but have not figured out drivers for Win8.1
You don't need drivers for Bluetooth devices but first a laptop with a Bluetooth transceiver and second a Bluetooth stack which is part of the Windows OS since long times.

Gerhard
Old 08-07-2015, 14:31   #7

Right! Gerhard. Can't seem to get it connected yet.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:52   #8

Next step is to investigate if the Bluetooth installation supports the needed protocols for the application. There are more than 30 different Bluetooth protocols known for almost any task.
For example serial transmits needs SPP (Serial Port Protocol). Some devices like Appels iPhone and iPad does not support SPP althought they have Bluetooth.

Gerhard
Old 09-07-2015, 05:14   #9

Windows 8.1 Bluetooth Stack does support SPP. You need to pair the device. My preferred way of doing this is to go into the Devices and Printers Control Panel (on the Windows desktop) and click "Add a Device" a the toolbar. (This is easier to do if you have Classic Shell installed.) Then follow the prompts to pair the device. Give the device a descriptive name if it does not have one already. Right click on the device, select Properties, and click the Hardware tab. Note the COM port number, and use that to configure the port in OpenCPN.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:46   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gerhard-
Apple has a unique licensing/security issue with BT. They say that because BT data streaming can be inherently unsecure, they will not license any application, or implement the usual BT data streaming protocols. Instead they require a $1 chip and a $4 licensing fee (or vice versa?) so that the device can use their "secure" version.

That means a BT GPS would need to be $5 more expensive--at the production cost level--to make Apple happy. Which probably translates into $20 at the retail level, which kills market competition. So, there are BT devices "For Apple" and then there are other devices that work with the rest of the world.

If you've bought into the Apple philosophy, you have to buy the approved devices in this case.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Gerhard-
Apple has a unique licensing/security issue with BT. They say that because BT data streaming can be inherently unsecure, they will not license any application, or implement the usual BT data streaming protocols. Instead they require a $1 chip and a $4 licensing fee (or vice versa?) so that the device can use their "secure" version.

That means a BT GPS would need to be $5 more expensive--at the production cost level--to make Apple happy. Which probably translates into $20 at the retail level, which kills market competition. So, there are BT devices "For Apple" and then there are other devices that work with the rest of the world.

If you've bought into the Apple philosophy, you have to buy the approved devices in this case.
Yes, I know that. Formerly I have manufactured devices to connect cars to computers for diagnostics and for iOS devices I have used WiFi instead which was much more easier then using their cryptic chip.

Gerhard
Old 10-07-2015, 13:13   #12

Got the Holux Bluetooth GPSlim240 working with Opencpn 4.1.602.
I had to uninstall the BT driver then shut down and turn off Holux GPSlim240. Then power up SP3. Then turn on Gpslim240. Then under devices pick add a device. Wait for it to be found and then enter 0000 for the code. Then there should be a progress bar as the drivers install. I then found the Com port assigned by going to Device Manager and inspecting Com ports listed and the Usb devices pick properties for gpslim240 and the details tab should show the Com port.
Then just add a com port in opencpn under Settings -Connections. It took several tries uninstalling and I thought the gpslim240 was an older device not compatible with win 8.1 but it works! The gpsslim240 immediately cooled down when properly connected. It was working hard to fin a good connection. The battery should last awhile, and the Usb to mini power cable will recharge and power it. Tablets can use this to. Not bad for $20 on ebay.

Old 30-07-2015, 11:14   #13

We got a RAM mount 1-1/2" setup with long arm and large Tablet Display bracket for SP3 and found a place near the power to mount it on the dodger 1" ss tubes.
Devices:
USB Hub: Inoteck 3 port USB 3.0 Hub with Gigabit Ethernet Port - only 1 usb 3.0
Wifi: Linksys AE1000 wifi - the onboard is weak and this goes out the hatch
GPS: Holux Bluetooth GPS Slim 240 - works 2nd hand ebay
GPS: Globalstar Bu-353-S4 UPS - works well too.
AIS: DVB-T+DAB_FM - got two that don't work (yet).
AIS: dAISy reciever - works - will add serial bluetooth to it.
12v Power: Found a SP3 power cord that plugs into 12vdc on amazon for good price.

Note the last pic with the "Large XTE error" this was created when I selected the active waypoint and moved it while in active route mode and then completed the move by poking the chart somewhere else. This created the 25 nm XTE error and all the other data values are incorrect.
This was fixed by turning off the Active Route and then turning it back on.
Opencpn should do this automatically I think when the active waypoint is moved.

Have to set computer into "Presentation Mode" before start because it keeps shutting down and requiring log in. Need to disable the login next and let it shut down to save batteries.

Need to use the Pencil that comes with it because 4.1.602 icons were too small because the Tablet icon enlargement settings are broken. Sometimes it was hard to get the right icon with boat bounce, but it worked ok. Like the Tablet touch screen for scrolling, changing waypoints on the fly, zoom in and out, etc.

Here are some shots from passage through the Cape Cod Canal. Did not have the AIS going then.

We have not put an antiglare screen on yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Out-CapeCodCanal.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	106364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Out-CCC-2.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	106365  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Out-CCC-3-XTE-ok-reset.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	106366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Large-XTE-after-move-active-waypoint.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	106367  

Old 09-08-2015, 14:48   #14

The Surface Pro 3 has been upgraded from Win8.1 to Win 10 reasonably successfully.
1. Problem since Jan with not enough space on 128gb! Kept removing programs and personnal data, and cleaning it up removing everything possible. The free space remained at 8 gb - 15 gb. I finally got a 128gb microSDx card from Samsung and put the remaining 7gb on the D: drive. Even then I just got 2 more and was at 15 gb free. It was absurd. I had cleaned out the recycle bin. After 2 suppport calls with Microsoft, a good technician suggested that I try a free program "Folder Size" which quickly showed that I had some "hidden" folder of 64GB in my recycle bin which Disk Cleanup never got. I believe it got there somehow in January when a MS store installed office and updated. Anyway once known it was quickly resolved (The C:/ drive files added up to 45 gb including the paging file).

2. Once that was resolved, I was ready to install Windows 10 because everthing had been updated, restore points and backups made, etc. The download was about 2.7 gb and took 3 hours at night. The installation went smoothly. All programs seem to work (more later). Some setting don't seem to work as well.

3. I had been setting the computer into "Adapt to Presentation" so that I would not have to login with a password when it goes to sleep. That seems to be working differently now (not working).

4. We need more control over when we are required to enter a password, my preference would be to turn off the screen and power saving, and the the constant login requirement, when navigating! Microsoft does not seem to have these settings available. I have written them and hopefully it will be resolved. Bitlocker of the hard disk seems to be the culprit.
Old 09-08-2015, 17:31   #15

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
4. We need more control over when we are required to enter a password, my preference would be to turn off the screen and power saving, and the the constant login requirement
In the search bar next to the start button type "control panel" to find the familiar Control Panel. MS tried to hide it and the new Settings applet is woefully inadequate. Anyhow, find Power Options and poke around in there for settings to your liking. I've yet to find the menu icon for it but if you use the search box in the control panel window for "screensaver", it'll pull it up. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps