Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 19:20   #16

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
I have the same setup on one my computers Win 10, OpenCPN 4.0.0 and turning on accelerated graphics does not affect displaying of the charts. Of course it is an I7.
Paul, I've got to smile. You have very much a developers attitude: "It doesn't happen on my computer!" Although you don't say if you're using OpenGL.

Others have reported this problem as well, so it's a real issue. My Win10 computer is also an I7, with both Intel & GeForce GTX 860M graphics chips. I'll try to look for updated drivers, but I've had problems upgrading GeForce drivers before - it seems Nvidia doesn't test their drivers as well as I'd like (but us SW testers are a picky lot, as you know)
Old 04-10-2015, 19:35   #17
Marine Service Provider

Hello Win10 users...

For problems with OpenGL display of raster charts, we first need to take a look at your OpenCPN logfile to analyze the detected OpenGL configuration.

It seems likely that the OpenCPN/OpenGL feature detection logic is somehow flawed on Win10, at least for some graphics adapters.

So, please post an example of opencpn logfile for a failure case here.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 23:09   #18

Thanks Dave! I hope this works, as I haven't had to do this before. CF upload restrictions won't let me compress it (AFAIK) & I had to rename it .doc, but it seems to have gone through. (Is there a better way to send you folks a logfile? Ideally, compressed?)

For this log, I started OpenCPN in non-OpenGL mode (with KAPs displaying correctly). I then went to Options, Display, Advanced, & clicked the Use OpenGL box & OK. The KAPs disappeared (went white) & I shut OpenCPN down. No errors were reported.

Please let me know if I can help more!
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.tail.txt.doc (9.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-10-2015, 06:10   #19

Boat: Najad 34

Continuing my W10 graphic failure.
I've installed another video driver, where accelerating OpenGl is included, from the PC maker Lenovo and now all raster charts are there again. The driver was intended for W7 but works fine, although W10 claims it's a downgrade. Next is to hinder W10 from "updating" the driver but there's an app for that. W10 is obviously not the best to handle somewhat dated PCs.
OCPN log says:
Code:
23:31:36: OpenGL-> Renderer String: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator
23:31:36: OpenGL-> Version reported:  2.0.0 - Build 8.15.10.1867
23:31:36: OpenGL-> Detected Intel renderer, disabling stencil buffer
23:31:36: OpenGL-> Texture rectangle format: de1
23:31:36: OpenGL-> glGenerateMipmap unavailable
23:31:36: OpenGL-> Detected Windows Intel renderer, disabling Vertexbuffer Objects
23:31:36: OpenGL-> Vertexbuffer Objects unavailable
23:31:36: OpenGL-> Framebuffer Objects unavailable
23:31:36: OpenGL-> Using Depth buffer clipping
23:31:36: OpenGL-> Using s3tc dxt1 compression
23:31:36: OpenGL-> Compressed tile size: 128kb (6:1)
Dave or anyone please explain the impact for "Vertexbuffer objects unavailable".

I'm still so impressed of O:s new feature to show Mercator and Transverse Mercator together so I must show an example again.
Thanks
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raster.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	110498  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:13   #20

Boat: Comet 41s

What about windows 7 compatibility to run programs that were designed for the XP?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:23   #21

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
What about windows 7 compatibility to run programs that were designed for the XP?
Unfortunatley that has no affect on Graphics functions.

It appears to be a driver issue. There are 3 main video card manufacturers. Nvidia, AMD and Intel. I suggest you download the latest driver available directly from the manufacturs site if you have this issue. Remember 8/8.1 drivers are compatible with W10.

Unfortuntately.. Sometimes you won't be able to find a driver for your card from the manufacturers website. Even though your computer may have a mainstream card, the OEM (Lenovo, HP, Dell, ect) has a special part number that only they release a driver for. In this case, you may have to use the Windows 7 driver.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 16:34   #22
Marine Service Provider

Jon Hacking...

I got and reviewed the OCPN logfile you posted.
Here is the interesting stuff:

PRE { font-family: "Liberation Serif",serif; }P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }
Code:
12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> Renderer String: GDI Generic
 12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> Version reported:  1.1.0
 12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> Texture rectangle format: 0
 12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> glGenerateMipmap unavailable
 12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> Vertexbuffer Objects unavailable
 12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> Framebuffer Objects unavailable
 12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> Using Stencil buffer clipping
 12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> Using Scissor Clipping
 12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> Not Using compression
 12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> Minimum cartographic line width:  1.0
 12:38:29 PM: OpenGL-> Minimum symbol line width:  1.0
This looks to me like what I get when trying to run OpenGL on XP with generic hardware or as a virtual machine under VBox.

It seems clear that there is a minimally functional OpenGL driver installed by default.
I suspect the root cause is trouble with the Stencil buffer clipping.
Most intel cards do not do this well, and we have code to detect that case if the card reports its name as e.g. intel 965.

I will build a version of the current Beta 4.1.925 with test code for this W10 problem, and come back with a quick download link for your testing.
Please stand by.

Dave
Old 05-10-2015, 17:35   #23
Marine Service Provider

Jon, et al...

Here is a link to a freshly built 4.1.925++ Beta with a quick hack to see if the W10 OpenGL driver problem is easily understood.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/stdgia2hw0...setup.exe?dl=0

You should install this Beta as a parallel install, to retain your current O4 production version intact.

Please report results, with the relevant OpenGL parts of the logfile copied inline, if possible.

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-10-2015, 21:40   #24

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I have a Dell Inspiron XPS 15 with both intel graphics and geforce graphics card. The geforce is significantly better at running opengl and I have found nvidia drivers to be much better than intels drivers generally for opengl. It may be a particular experience, . .granted.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:32   #25

Boat: 10.50 mètres

hello Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
ASUS 1001 H, W 7 upgraded in W10,

I used the first version of O4.1.925 no problem to display raster charts, as those of Brazil, as Argentina, with charts made with GE2KAP, no problem. I have never encountered difficulty to display, OpenGL ON or OpenGL OFF, with as quilting On or OFF,

I just tested the O4.1.925 ++ version. Same tests, no problem.

But I know French users who can not view raster charts and write this fact on the french forums.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:23   #26

For info:
I've now tested more in W10, like the BRRadar_pi. It seems W10 is handling the nasty Intel 965 chipset in a much better way than W7 where I've had some problem with "partial freezing". That's when only parts of the screen behind a dialog box/window is updated, the rest of OCPN screen is frozen. Now on W10 this occurrence seems to be gone.

Of course also some serial-USB converter tweaking, but now Ok.

BTW, also W10 has the strange habit to believe the GPS is a serial mouse and starts to run the cursor around and click on "everything". The grand old solution is working here as well:
Open Regedit. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SerMouse, and change the value "Start" from 3 to 4. Reboot.

Håkan
Old 06-10-2015, 11:33   #27

Quote:
Jon, et al...
Here is a link to a freshly built 4.1.925++ Beta with a quick hack to see if the W10 OpenGL driver problem is easily understood.........
Please report results, with the relevant OpenGL parts of the logfile copied inline, if possible.

Thanks
Dave
Dave, I tested your binary but no differences from my own built. The log file report was the same as in this post: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1930042

Håkan
Old 09-10-2015, 09:17   #28

Quote:
Dave (et al) - thanks for all your help (& sorry for my slow reply, but we've been off the boat). I updated my GeForce driver (which OpenCPN should NOT be using, as it was set to use the integrated Intel 4600) & everything started working again. Not sure why. I can now use OpenGL again, which means my KAPs scroll quickly (although it still takes forever to load them).

But if you think there's a latent bug in here that you'd like more info on, I'd be glad to help. But we'll be offline (on passage) for the next few days...
Old 10-10-2015, 01:15   #29

Boat: Island Packet 40

This whole Windows thing is a pain in the butt.

I have two computers and three GPS pucks, one Holux and two BU353s.

One of the computers came with Win 7 installed and all three pucks ran on it.

The second came with Win 8 installed, the Holux and one of the BU353s run on it but apparently the second is an older version which has an interface chip for which a driver for Win 8 and later has not been written.

Since I find I have to replace computers every couple of years or so they not being designed for the marine environment and the obsolescence problem is not going to go away I have considered changing over to one of the Linux operating systems however this brings a whole lot of other problems with it.

My long term solution was to install a cheap, stand alone GPS unit with NMEA0183 output which all versions of OpenCPN will accept through one of the USB ports. This also provides an alternative position finding device for use with my backup charts.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind