Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2010, 13:58   #1

Boat: Herreshoff H36 12.8m
Windows - Ubuntu

HELP I want to transfer my PCMCIA 3g wireless broadband card from Windows platform to Ubuntu. Are my old files and programs transferable from Windows to Ubuntu?
Ray Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 16:09   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Ray,
files for sure, programs you use - hard to say - depends on whether they have a Linux version or can run under Wine (windows emulator). This step can be easy or very complex, depending on your setup.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 17:58   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
took me a week to figure that out-- someone else did it for me,, i have to remove ubuntu and re do windows or find a code write to teach me how to load this stuff so it works. doesnt. despite instructions. i WILL run it side by side-- that was goood. goood luck with it--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 13:35   #4

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Perry View Post
HELP I want to transfer my PCMCIA 3g wireless broadband card from Windows platform to Ubuntu. Are my old files and programs transferable from Windows to Ubuntu?
Ubuntu can use most 3G modems fine, but to be honest, I haven't actually seen any 3G PCMCIA cards working - but that's because I havent't seen any new PCMCIA cards - the form factor is obsolete. Must 3G modems come as USB sticks nowadays.

When you say "old files and programs", what are you referring to? The 3G program and its config files? No need for that - all you need is your wireless modem's phone number. Do you mean personal productivity applications, like Microsoft Word and Excel? If so, then OpenOffice is compatible with all but the most esoteric Word documents and Excel spreadsheets - mostly custom macros and such that the average user doesn't use.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 15:44   #5

I published an ebook using Corel Draw, Adobe *.pdf, Winzip, LockLizard and the internet. I would like to start using Ubuntu for my project. The existing publication can be used with Windows, Mac and hopefully Linux. I can not start using Ubuntu until I have an internet connection.
My internet connection is run by a file folder called c:\bigpond (92mb). It would be helpful if these Windows based programs could be imported into Ubuntu.
Old 30-11-2010, 17:03   #6

Ray, I've used ubuntu laptop for 8 months. You can easily find ubuntu versions of winzip and the adobe acrobat reader. You should have no problem getting online with your ubuntu system. I don't understand what you mean by comment below. Kevin

>My internet connection is run by a file folder called c:\bigpond (92mb).
kgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 17:21   #7

when i installed ubuntu into my compaq i lost windows forever. if you run them side by side using the disc, they you can use both windows and linux .... otherwise you are stuck using only ubuntu/linux...
Old 30-11-2010, 18:47   #8

In Australia we have an Internet provider called bigpond.com (Telstra). When I purchased my Sierra mobile card from Bigpond they provided a CD to load the Connection Manager which is what activates the PCMCIA Sierra card. This Connection Manager CD (c:\bigpond.*) is what I want to transfer to my copy of Ubuntu. Sincere thanks for advice as I am an "old" computer novice.
Old 30-11-2010, 19:06   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Ray, I have a desktop and laptop both running on 10.04 Lucid Lynx version. The wireless connection is almost automatic, but you do have to have a wireless card that Unbuntu has the drivers for. It was worthwhile for me to get a up to date laptop for that. Ubuntu is worth the hassle- I have typed on nothing else for the past 5 years.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:45   #10

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
In Australia we have an Internet provider called bigpond.com (Telstra). When I purchased my Sierra mobile card from Bigpond they provided a CD to load the Connection Manager which is what activates the PCMCIA Sierra card. This Connection Manager CD (c:\bigpond.*) is what I want to transfer to my copy of Ubuntu. Sincere thanks for advice as I am an "old" computer novice.

Ray,

Support for most Sierra wireless modems is included in the Linux kernel nowadays, so if I were you, I'd try downloading Ubuntu 10.10 (for either CD or a USB flash drive) and boot off the CD or flash drive - with the Sierra modem connected and see if it works. It won't mess with your Windows installation unless you explicitly tell it to...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58   #11

dont make the mistake of installing ubuntu without windows on the side-UNLESS YOU KNOW CODE!!!!!-is IMPOSSIBLE for someone to program ubuntu without knowledge of code. i have a ruined compaq i cannot use until i can find someone who will fix it for me. also has to have the password removed from it..ubuntu wont make changes until you punch in a password-- it wont recognise any i have used. go figger.
i made the mistake of installing it instead of using the disc i receive for side by side use with windows. dum me.....

btw--i LOVE ubuntu, but i am not able to use it. it took 2 weeks to gt the sierra modem to function ..had to find a magic soul to find the location in the ubuntu platform to make the modem go.
Old 06-12-2010, 16:11   #12

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
don't use windows programs crap to operate hardware install the modem software as follows: open a terminal and at the command prompt type sudo apt-get install ppp wvdial after the install type wvdial and it should activate the PCMCIA card.
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:35   #13

Thank you for the effort. I opened the terminal and followed your prompts.
"ppp is already the latest version e: couldn't find package wvdial" was the outcome. I tried three times. I went into the Sierra website and my PCMCIA is now obsolete (great !!! It still works perfectly. Just another way to force me to spend more money).
Thanks all for the effort.
Next question: What wireless broadband card do I now purchase so that I can use Ubuntu? ps I have to use Telstra in Australia as they have the best coverage through out the coast.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:42   #14

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
obsolete is better with linux, since it is open source software there is more support for older stuff, I used linux on a laptop from 1997 for 5 yeas. have you read/followed this tutorial? Setting up Dial-up connection in Ubuntu*|*Ubuntu Geek don't give up, once you get past this stumble at the start you'll be off and running.
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03   #15

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
I published an ebook using Corel Draw, Adobe *.pdf, Winzip, LockLizard and the internet. I would like to start using Ubuntu for my project. The existing publication can be used with Windows, Mac and hopefully Linux. I can not start using Ubuntu until I have an internet connection.
My internet connection is run by a file folder called c:\bigpond (92mb). It would be helpful if these Windows based programs could be imported into Ubuntu.
Ray,
while setting up an internet connection may look like a big trouble to you, it will be quite easy. If all the guides on the net look too complicated for you and you don't want to spend the time learning to understand them, just ask someone more experienced to do it for you for a beer or two - you should meet such a person sooner or later.
The real problem you will face is that the tools you use for your work are not very Linux friendly. To elaborate a little bit:
CorelDraw doesn't have a Linux version and as you can see at WineHQ - CorelDRAW it doesn't run very well in Wine (an emulator to run native Windows apps in Linux), especially the recent versions. There are alternatives that could help you - I, for example, use Inkscape and GIMP and am much happier than I was a long time ago while using Corel, but it doesn't mean you will feel the same. BTW, both have Windows versions so you can try them without having to install Linux at all.
PDF creation and Zip not a big deal technically, but you will have to get used to the new tools.
LockLizard - no Linux version, no info whether it runs under Wine. Well, DRM is not very popular in the community. You will have to help yourself here. And don't expect any questions according this matter to be welcome anywhere on the net...

Said the above, I would very strongly suggest you start with the dualboot config, which will allow you to run Windows and stay productive and learn how to use Linux and the new tools at the same time. Make the switch when you KNOW it will bring something to you, not at the time you've read somewhere that it's cool, because then it will not be

And Linux IS cool - much cooler than Windows have ever been

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote