Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 11:57   #16

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: 6,000nm Review of our Helia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryHorizons View Post
Thanks for mentioning the hydraulic steering as I forgot to talk about it in my review. Overall I liked it but we've now had the hydraulic fluid reservoir in the helm pod empty twice with no easily identifiable leaks. I need to find the time to examine the whole run from helm to engine compartment (not easy) but this drop in fluid makes me nervous.
It might not be a leak. It could be that they didn't bleed your system well enough and the air pockets were gradually being worked out. Our hydraulic system can be tough to bleed completely, and it ate a surprising amount of fluid from the reservoir for a while after we drained and refilled it.
Old 22-04-2015, 13:52   #17

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed the review. Positive reviews/owner feedback can definitely be helpful but I think a truly balanced review is the most insightful.

As for the bridgedeck clearance, we were extremely bow heavy with so much anchor chain, plus outboard stored up in the genset locker. With our shore power converter and additional batteries installed, she's definitely more balanced. And hopefully swapping out the 1/2" anchor chain for 5/16" will help even more as I think that could end up being a 600-700 lb weight savings!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will help the issue and I will definitely provide an update on this when I do my next review.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Excellent!.....will be looking forward to your next review. Best of luck!
Old 22-04-2015, 13:52   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
It might not be a leak. It could be that they didn't bleed your system well enough and the air pockets were gradually being worked out. Our hydraulic system can be tough to bleed completely, and it ate a surprising amount of fluid from the reservoir for a while after we drained and refilled it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is the case, but we had a consistent fluid level all the way across from France and it was only when we arrived in Florida that we started having this issue. I would have thought any remaining air bubbles would have worked themselves out while we were sailing.

StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 14:19   #19

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is the case, but we had a consistent fluid level all the way across from France and it was only when we arrived in Florida that we started having this issue. I would have thought any remaining air bubbles would have worked themselves out while we were sailing.
Oh, yes, I agree, that sounds like a leak. I thought maybe it only ate fluid on the way from the factory. Hopefully its easy to find where.
Old 24-04-2015, 14:30   #20

Great post, will be following.........

Question, of the lets say "warranty" issues.....What support do you get from FP? Example the "wronly installed bilge pump"? Bending cleats etc...
Would be nice to know how FP backs up their warranty.
SM6WET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 16:50   #21

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM6WET View Post
Great post, will be following.........

Question, of the lets say "warranty" issues.....What support do you get from FP? Example the "wronly installed bilge pump"? Bending cleats etc...
Would be nice to know how FP backs up their warranty.

The cleat was denied as a warranty claim so we had to purchase a new one. However, our dealer did add backing plates and re-bed all the forward and aft cleats as part of our commissioning.

As for the bilge pumps, they technically do work so my dealer didn't file a warranty claim. They are just not installed as per the manufacturer's instructions so I don't think they work as well as they could/should.

David

StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 18:37   #22
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Btw, I had a look at our main while sailing yesterday. We just have 3 intermediate cars at about 40mm height each on the z spars track spaced between the bottom 4 battens. Our main is about the same size as the Helia so this might be an alternate option without altering the stack pack ( I know you already have )
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 03:49   #23

Hello David,

How come the cleat was denied on warranty but they made all the effort on fixing with backing plate etc. Commercial gesture?
Was it claimed that you had used a too heavy load?

Wait a minute…. Bilge pumps work but not according to manufacturer’s instructions…… This defiantly mean warranty claim.
Being ironic, if your swim ladder had been installed midway up your mast would it be rejected because technically the swim ladder works, it is just not installed in a proper place…. Then would a warranty not be filed?
Is there a manufacturers instruction? A specification?

I read a lot of different posts on different boats where the owners have to fix this and fix that. Thinking about writing a post what one could expect as a customer and what a manufacturer may gain in quality improvements by treating claims correctly.

Cheers,

Magnus
SM6WET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:40   #24

Quote:
Saleen, Sorry the satisfied Lagoonies are spoiling your day!
No, not at all Monte....my bad for poking fun. I'm glad all you Lagoonies love your boats....seriously. Just a bit perplexed at the almost cultish following.

Obviously Lagoons are very popular, even with some of the old salts here that own other boats. I've been told more than once that if "they" didn't own the current boat, "they" would be in the market for a Lagoon. To each their own.

As to the OP's review?...fantastic and greatly appreciated....not all faeries and pixie dust like I read on threads about other boats. So why not post the good bad and the UGLY in public instead of a PM. Apparently some are very sensitive about what is said about their boats....don't know why.

Anyway, sorry if I offended.

Cheers
Old 13-05-2015, 20:05   #25
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

No problem Saleen, I wasn't suggesting anything needed to be kept private, just offering help :P
Anyway, rather than hijack a thread and since my reviews have been pretty scattered I decided to take your advice and Davids lead and put pen to paper. Hopefully its ugly enough, I struggled with that bit..
400 6,000M Lagoon 400 S2 review - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
monte is offline   Reply With Quote