Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 08:27   #301

Boat: FP Astrea 42 coming soon!
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post
Hi Luc.
I completely understand on the currency front. We have recently opened a business in Brazil so I'm aware of how tough you guys have it right now.

Will happily oblige with measurements if I make it to Paris next Sunday or on our own boat - waiting for confirmation from FP that the boat will be ready to check out in the early part of the week in La Rochelle. I do agree that there looks to be plenty of room for bigger/better solar panels back there - or allow a rear overhang with the right support? I've been looking at the latest panels for our home in New Hampshire and those extra panels and outputs would make a huge difference for a live aboard.
Anyone here got access to these measurements for Luc right now?
Please see recent post by GRcatlover re: solar measurements.
GRcatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:41   #302

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRcatlover View Post
Hi Luc.
The measurements from the traveller to the back edge of the cabin top is 42" (106cm) and the width from edge to edge is 168"(426cm). The steaming light protrudes into that space by only a few inches. See the attached photo for reference. Cheers! Greig
Greig
Thanks a lot for your very clear reply. With this I can continu my research to get the maximum use and power out of this space.
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:57   #303

Hi Luc.
A quick follow up to round out my previous post in case you are ordering panels SOON! The 42" measurement I took was from the inside of the raised edge of the traveller (see photo attached) to the back of the cabin top. Mounting a panel on this riser will raise the edge of the panel up off of the rooftop slightly (about 1 - 2") but depending on how you mount the panel on the outside edge side you can compensate for that with a bracket etc. I have a single 400W solar panel on my mono hull and took great pains to mount it perfectly level. When it rains it makes for a fantastic bird bath. Even just a slight angle to your panels is a good idea for drainage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Asréa_42_solar_measurement_2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	181681  
Old 04-12-2018, 07:48   #304

Hi Greig,
How nice of you to provide a warm bath for the birds . But I agree it’s better to have a slight slope to drain water.
I am still looking for the best solution, but thanks to your info, I am getting there almost.
Once I know how I will do it, I will post it. I was already considering to use a frame that can take a certain overhang without support. Your last picture shows it well. If I could find someone in Europe who can deliver me the Sunpower 470Wp, it would be good for 940Wp just there! And without too much of a problem. In that case, I could go for a 1700Wp in total.
Do you happen to know the following dimension ? At the opposite site (=in front) of the traveler, at port, I estimated more or less 2,4m x 1,2m available for solar. But I am not so sure anymore. Just imagine mounting there a panel of around 2m by a bit more then 1m, do you think it is possible ?
Luc
Old 05-12-2018, 07:58   #305

Do you happen to know the following dimension ? At the opposite site (=in front) of the traveler, at port, I estimated more or less 2,4m x 1,2m available for solar. But I am not so sure anymore. Just imagine mounting there a panel of around 2m by a bit more then 1m, do you think it is possible ?
Luc[/QUOTE]

Hi again Luc.
I don't know that measurement but I've done a mock up (as close to scale as possible) of what the panel I currently have (77" X 39") would look like installed on the Astrea 42 and when I measure the size of those cells over the area you are asking about I come up with (approximately) 44" X 20". Maybe a 40" X 40" square panel installed over top of the lines that lead to the traveller????
Greig
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Astrea_42_solar_measurement_3.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	181727  
Old 17-12-2018, 10:49   #306

Hi all. We are considering the Astrea 42 for a full time live aboard. The dream is to cruise e.g. South Pacific. We will do ocean crossings (once qualified and experienced enough). Our question is what you all think of the swim platform? My wife scuba dives and really likes this option. Will it require a lot of maintenance? Will it compromise the boat during crossings? What are your thoughts? Did anyone order the boat with this option? Thanks.
Hass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 11:15   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Hi all. We are considering the Astrea 42 for a full time live aboard. The dream is to cruise e.g. South Pacific. We will do ocean crossings (once qualified and experienced enough). Our question is what you all think of the swim platform? My wife scuba dives and really likes this option. Will it require a lot of maintenance? Will it compromise the boat during crossings? What are your thoughts? Did anyone order the boat with this option? Thanks.
Not difficult to say what are the inconveniences:
It is a lot of extra weight, and the cost is important. If it ever fails, it will be much more difficult to solve the problem the standard davits.
But we choose for it, because we will use our cat very similar like you intend to do. So for our use, it is without doubt a nice thing to have, and worth the money. And during the tests, I really didn't think it had any negative influence on the sailing. So we go for it. But sure others aren't convinced at all.
Old 17-12-2018, 11:42   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRcatlover View Post
Hi again Luc.
I don't know that measurement but I've done a mock up (as close to scale as possible) of what the panel I currently have (77" X 39") would look like installed on the Astrea 42 and when I measure the size of those cells over the area you are asking about I come up with (approximately) 44" X 20". Maybe a 40" X 40" square panel installed over top of the lines that lead to the traveller????
Greig
Hi Greig,
Thank you for your reply and mock up. I think there is a misunderstanding here: I won't use the area you indicate, but I will use the other side of the lines, more to the side, starting at the hatch of the bathroom. I will add my mock up too. Closer to the beam, where you designed it, I prefer to keep it free or eventually use a semi-flex walkable panel there.
And as for the zone behind the traveller, the total width measured is apparently 490cm from side to side. (see picture) Which means that my solution, with a total length of 468cm, takes it almost completely. But in return gives me a very nice output. But I also understand if some would prefer to avoid approaching the sides so close.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2018-12-17 om 17.32.50.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	182379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2018-12-17 om 17.39.01.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	182380  

Old 25-12-2018, 20:47   #309
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Christmas Greetings All

After a long wait, our Astrea left La Rochelle yesterday early yesterday a.m. and is now just off A Coruna, Spain on its Transatlantic trip to Abaco. Posted position thanks to AIS system. I can nerd-out following position obsessively over Xmas/New Year!
Sadly, due to a combination of work & logistic requirements for getting her in service, I have yet to see her. Not even pics. The commissioning crew forgot to take photos for us despite chasing. Sometimes people forget the big picture of what they are selling, right?

Our first charter is for 4 weeks and now very tight to make it on time. On the plus side, that charter guest will get a brand new boat - I'm jealous! But hoping they will be understanding debugging a new boat. I will be in Switzerland and Germany when she arrives in Abaco so will not get to see her until after that first charter in mid Feb.

In fact, charter bookings are almost back to back at this point so trying to schedule the shower refit to isolate those heads will have to wait until July. Good problem I guess. Will take her to Fort Lauderdale for that work. Can't wait to post pics of the finished product showing what FP should have achieved.

Signed her up for Dream Yacht Annapolis charter fleet after that work from mid July to Oct 31st before returning to Abaco.

Well done guys on the solar postings. Love it! Can't wait to see an expanded solar array in place. Please post when someone gets it done. I'd love to upgrade.

Ideas on rod holders and the, all important, drinks holders at helmets station most welcome!

Merry Christmas everyone
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181225_230811.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	182765  
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 04:40   #310
MAE

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42

Hey Brian well done can help you with rod holders but we will have to trade up to the 45 to get decent drink holders ha ha.
Must be so hard not to be on board......do you realize what an impact you have made starting this forum??????? Happy New Year .....sorry sitting on board still looking for a safe spot for the wine glass whilst steering.....autopilot? Our boat ie the Astrea continues to delight in so many unexpected ways month 6.
Your timing has been perfect...great charter bookings, magic $US exchange rate, persistence with the Factory.....I think I will sell mine and charter ha ha cheers
MAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 06:40   #311

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea

Have Astrea on the docket for Sept 2019 commissioning and getting close to some factory option decisions. ACY is our broker and we can have options added at both the factory and/or by ACY in Ft. Lauderdale late 2019. This will be live aboard vs charter.

Cockpit Enclosure

1) Have any Astrea owners gone with the factory option, and if so are there any photos, as well as what if any options are there? eg # 'door openings' etc.
2) If factory added are there any thoughts on pros and cons?
We are leaning toward the factory option and then having at the rear an added screen that will act as bug screen/air flow if we roll up the factory installed option.
Any thoughts on feasibility of this and thoughts? We will be sailing carib for several seasons and then onto the med.

David
MoggieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 07:27   #312
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Hi David

We've only gone with helm station enclosure from factory so no details on factory cockpit enclosure. What I can tell you is that you will struggle to get any detail on the spec from the factory on anything that is not already detailed online. And they will be utterly inflexible should you want to change anything regardless of how small.

I'm pretty sure 'Let's Dance', Lucia 40 (YouTube video series) went with factory cockpit enclosure. You could have a look there to get some ideas - assume Astrea set up similiar.

My guess is ACY will be more flexible and probably less expensive. Our boat will be in Fort Lauderdale most likely in mid July for the shower refit. You'd be very welcome to have someone measure up & have your ideal enclosure designed and ready for your boat to arrive. ACY could probably give you a rough price with bug screens installed based Lucia/Helia sizing?
Old 28-12-2018, 13:09   #313

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea

Thanks BKC. Yes, at this point we have also committed to the FP helm station enclosure only. More research to do!
MoggieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 23:31   #314

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42

One of the other Aussies from Perth who has an Astrea on order said on the FB site that he is investigating composting toilets for his new boat. I’ve had a Seawind 1160 for many years and have never had any experiences with them but his comment sent me off to investigate further.

Having spent years dealing with stinking heads and rotten eggs smells I was flabagasted with the reviews on these units. NO ODOR!?!?

So my question is this. Has anyone approached FP to ask the following:

1. Will they fit them (i.e. Nature’s Heads)
2. What would be the reduction to the cost of the boat if the heads, holding tanks, plumbing and electricals were not fitted during production?
3. Do they have a specific brand or model that would fit the space in the heads (we have ordered the Maestro version with the Jack and Jill option Portside).

Just to be clear, I’m not looking to start a debate on the pro’s and con’s of composting heads (there are a few very informative threads that address this on CF comprehensively already) but to gather information on getting them fitted to a FP cat during production, or having the boat manufactured without toilets et al.

Love to hear if anyone else is thinking about doing it this or, better yet, has asked the question already? It doesn’t have to be for an Astrea either. Any experiences with Lucia’s, Helia’s, Saona’s or Saba’s would be more than welcome.
VP and the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 15:49   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and the Fox View Post
2. What would be the reduction to the cost of the boat if the heads, holding tanks, plumbing and electricals were not fitted during production?
FP’s business model is to knock out quantity with minimal customization to maximize efficiency. It’s doutful they would install composting heads.

You’re ordering an owners version so I would look to resale as much as upfront prices. While you may be ok with composting toilets, the majority of boat owners at this price point prefer to deal with odors via conversion to freshwater heads. As such, a 42 on the market a few years down the road with no plumbing or holding tanks would be at a significant disadvantage at resale. Get the plumbing even if you immediately switch out the toilets.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote