Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 19:00   #316
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

I agree with both of Thalas points VP. I'm 100% sure FP will not switch in anything that is not on their spec. We couldn't switch to a different model of water maker they already use in the factory. Zero flexibility. If you want to do something different, it will def be after market.

I'd also encourage you to check out the factory installed set up before switching out. Not sure why, but we've been surprised at lack of odor on FP boats, even without fresh water conversion. Lucky perhaps.
Old 01-01-2019, 23:10   #317

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42

Thanks Brian and Thales. Fair point about the resale value. We plan to have the boat for 10+ years so it’s not really a concern for us but you never know how plans will change. I’m going to ask the question about not having the toilets, holding tanks etc fitted anyway and see what they say. How hard can it be not to install them and then I’ll get the composting heads fitted aftermarket which is super easy. While I’m sure we will save a few Dollars upfront, this is not the motivation. Our current cat is 12 years old and the heads are a constant pain. Imagine never to have to change hoses, buy chemicals, replace pumps, or unblock valves ever again. And no stink. I’ll let you know how I go.
VP and the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 22:11   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and the Fox View Post
Imagine never to have to change hoses, buy chemicals, replace pumps, or unblock valves ever again. And no stink. I’ll let you know how I go.
I love your optimism, but go check out youtube for some real world issues of composting toilets (usually on RV builds). Every solution has its own challenges. Bugs can infest these toilets which is a whole new problem that you have never dealt with before. Sure, you can easily dump the cartridges 3 miles out, but what if you're moored for a few days? Or in a marina carrying cartridges back and forth. Now poop is part of your inventory.

I'm not against composting toilets (they're not for me), but your reply felt a bit overly romantic. I'm sure it's a great solution for you, but there will be things that come up that you would not have to deal with in a traditional toilet setup. Everything has pros and cons.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 19:07   #319
BKC

User Manual for Astrea

Hi All:

I'm creating a 'User Manual' for the Astrea (and will put it up on a website when complete with options list).
Will try to incorporate the basics as well as instructions on those key options ('How to Operate' sections for things like Electrical system/inverter, Dinghy Davits, Plancha e tc.). Obviously useful to Charterers but also for new owners based on simplified overview of what you really need to know, as well as shared learnings from operating this vessel - giving key Tips & Tricks worth knowing. I love the saying 'Experience is what you get the moment after you needed it'. But want to save us all that pain.

I've reviewed sites covering Lucia 40 and Helia 44 to cover the basics over Xmas & New Year, as well as reading our entire thread here on Astrea borrowing pictures, written inputs etc. Wow, lots of contributions and huge number of viewers. Thank you all. Additionally, I'm trying to fill in the blanks - for example, there doesn't appear to be much instruction available on the practical usage of the supplied Aqua-Base watermaker in English. So, I sat through a thorough 20 minute video training session from Aqua-base (its in French) and read the user manual (in English) which I've used to create the basic instructions needed (Ask me if any detailed questions - i'm dangerous now!).

I'm trying to cut in down to the meat of what owners/charters need without the 'Do-Not-Attempt-To-Dry-Your-Dog-In-This-Microwave-Oven' type warnings and safety instructions which get in the way.

Some things I still need:
1. Does anyone have a picture/close up of the 120V distribution panel & its location (Port engine room, right?). I have the 12V panel - thanks to Christophe.
2. Location and picture of generator. Ideally showing interior/lid removed to see breaker? (forward port storage locker?)
3. Water-maker location - Port engine room? And, assume it is hard piped to water storage tanks? Both tanks - location of switch over valve? The standard spec is Auto-rinse set up. Do they provide the remote control switch or do you need to open engine locker on each usage?
4. Specific location (and pic - I know its in the galley!) of propane solenoid safety switch? Propane tank location?
5. Transom shower pic - & location - Port?
6. Pic of head electric switch & holding tank clean out valve
7. Water/fuel guage on Nav station (?) pic?
8. Standard Outboard engine pic - yes, I paid 5,500+ Euro for a dinghy and engine which could be of any make or model. Thank you FP - you guys are world class communicators
9. Helm station pic with electric winch button showing. Electric breaker location?
10. Dinghy Davit electric winch with electric button showing. Electric break location?
11. Chart plotter/helm controls picture? I can get them externally but good to have in situ ideally.

I'm sure more elements will come up so feel free to submit things I haven't requested here (on PM if easier?). I will create details and pics on anything missing when on board my boat next month. Finally. Counting down the days...

In case anyone is interested, she's about 1200nm from 'home' now making good progress across the Atlantic. Thank you for your help - I'll share the outcome.
Old 04-01-2019, 20:07   #320

Boat: FP Lucia 40
Re: User Manual for Astrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post
Hi All:

I'm creating a 'User Manual' for the Astrea (and will put it up on a website when complete with options list).

Will try to incorporate the basics as well as instructions on those key options ('How to Operate' sections for things like Electrical system/inverter, Dinghy Davits, Plancha e tc.). Obviously useful to Charterers but also for new owners based on simplified overview of what you really need to know, as well as shared learnings from operating this vessel - giving key Tips & Tricks worth knowing. I love the saying 'Experience is what you get the moment after you needed it'. But want to save us all that pain.

I've reviewed sites covering Lucia 40 and Helia 44 to cover the basics over Xmas & New Year, as well as reading our entire thread here on Astrea borrowing pictures, written inputs etc. Wow, lots of contributions and huge number of viewers. Thank you all. Additionally, I'm trying to fill in the blanks - for example, there doesn't appear to be much instruction available on the practical usage of the supplied Aqua-Base watermaker in English. So, I sat through a thorough 20 minute video training session from Aqua-base (its in French) and read the user manual (in English) which I've used to create the basic instructions needed (Ask me if any detailed questions - i'm dangerous now!).

I'm trying to cut in down to the meat of what owners/charters need without the 'Do-Not-Attempt-To-Dry-Your-Dog-In-This-Microwave-Oven' type warnings and safety instructions which get in the way.

Some things I still need:

1. Does anyone have a picture/close up of the 120V distribution panel & its location (Port engine room, right?). I have the 12V panel - thanks to Christophe.

2. Location and picture of generator. Ideally showing interior/lid removed to see breaker? (forward port storage locker?)

3. Water-maker location - Port engine room? And, assume it is hard piped to water storage tanks? Both tanks - location of switch over valve? The standard spec is Auto-rinse set up. Do they provide the remote control switch or do you need to open engine locker on each usage?

4. Specific location (and pic - I know its in the galley!) of propane solenoid safety switch? Propane tank location?

5. Transom shower pic - & location - Port?

6. Pic of head electric switch & holding tank clean out valve

7. Water/fuel guage on Nav station (?) pic?

8. Standard Outboard engine pic - yes, I paid 5,500+ Euro for a dinghy and engine which could be of any make or model. Thank you FP - you guys are world class communicators

9. Helm station pic with electric winch button showing. Electric breaker location?

10. Dinghy Davit electric winch with electric button showing. Electric break location?

11. Chart plotter/helm controls picture? I can get them externally but good to have in situ ideally.

I'm sure more elements will come up so feel free to submit things I haven't requested here (on PM if easier?). I will create details and pics on anything missing when on board my boat next month. Finally. Counting down the days...

In case anyone is interested, she's about 1200nm from 'home' now making good progress across the Atlantic. Thank you for your help - I'll share the outcome.

Many thanks BKC. I’m sure lots of ideas will come out of the woodwork!
On our Lucia 40 we were delivered manuals for everything on board and generally in multiple languages. I discarded the manual section in anything other than English to get them down to a manageable size and then loosely filed the English versions in a standard collapsible portable file - under separate headings such as ‘navigation’ electrical’ ‘watermaker’ etc? If there was an overall ‘how to’ manual this would be an excellent addition.
One Day More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:14   #321

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Astréa 42

Brian,
The user manual is a great idea! This forum and all its contributions are invaluable. Thank you for your efforts all along and for this new initiative. Much appreciated.
Unfortunately I don't have any more pictures than all the ones I already posted from my visit to the Annapolis show. But I'll be happy to contribute in any other way I can.

Do you have a link to the water maker video you are referencing? (BTW, if anyone needs assistance with translation of media or communication issues with FP, don't hesitate to ask this French guy!).

Our Astréa, hull #14, is undergoing commissioning and should set sail from La Rochelle within the next couple of weeks. I am awaiting an update on the planned delivery schedule. If I can manage to take time off work at the right time, I will try to join her delivery crew for part of the trip. It's a long shot but dreams sometimes do come true, right?

Good luck with everything Brian!
chlemaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:25   #322

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Astréa 42

Brian,
I confirm that the generator I saw was located in the forward port locker.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/110438...7674176727088/
No picture of the breaker though.
chlemaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:35   #323

Astrea 42: Owners?

Here you go. Pic of the breaker box and fresh water pump location/switches. Also pics of the rear of the genset to access anode, heat exchanger, etc. I believe the 12v water maker would be located on the front of the genset on the wood plank near the coolant tank. Perhaps the AC water maker would go in the engine room.
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4905.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	183205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4907.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	183206  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4906.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	183207  
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:09   #324

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea

Brian,
Thanks for the heavy lift, that will be awesome to have. Never have too much information!
I will be at the Miami Boat show in Feb, so if you want more close up photos, measurements etc I will have both camera and tape measure so shoot me the list prior of what you need to round out the images/info for the manual and will be happy to oblige.
MoggieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:35   #325
MAE

Hi Interesting photos.....on our #2 the BBQ occupies the stb side of the cockpit not seating ....good to see FP getting up to speed
MAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:40   #326
MAE

Brian,

Happy New Year and to the Forum..... Happy to go back North if you need photos on my #2. Apologies I missed the Forum whilst on board over Christmas cheers
Old 11-01-2019, 05:53   #327
MAE

Re: User Manual for Astrea

Manuals ! in 2019? The funny side to this ...we have the best clothes washer /dryer on board...all the programs labelled in French......the manual totally in French.....Rang the Australian distributor ....No sorry we don't import that particular model and can't supply a manual...sacre bleu!
Having a New Year beer with Multi Hulls Nod ..explain my problem of getting clean sheets & clothes...No problem ...connects to Google Translate on his phone...problem solved!
Old 11-01-2019, 06:01   #328
MAE

Had the same doubts when I ordered it on #2. Have to say with some modification, it's been a winner over the last 5 months of having guests aboard who dive & fish and grumpy old men like me dangling the feet over!
Old 19-01-2019, 17:32   #329
MAE

Hi Brian and everybody,
Forgot to say that with #2 not only did bags of manuals arrive to accompany endless nights of watching the Australian open but FP have a owners club where you register put in your HIN number and download very very useful Manuals, Pictorials & suggested useage! The link is <yacht-club-fountaine-pajot.com>
Still, whilst this is great, there is nothing better than doing all this stuff yourself , for the first time on a boat you have been waiting so long to sit on.
Old 19-01-2019, 19:45   #330
BKC

Hi Alan (& everyone in the waiting room)

Happy New Year to everyone who's still reading this blog, expecting to order an Astrea or take delivery in the years ahead...time will fly.

Our own lovely Astrea 'Asgard' (Home of the gods, our teenage kids and a boat from my personal history) arrived to her new home in Abaco Bahamas yesterday. The DY base crew are preparing her to be ready to roll for her first charter today. Phew, that was a bit too close for my liking though. I'll admit that I did stalk her all the way across the Atlantic over Xmas and New Year on satellite. She was put in service in France and available for charter trans-Atlantic in December.

With a couple of days to go and no takers for the crossing just before Xmas, we actually opted for her to hitch a ride on the monthly flour boat to Guadaloupe. Believe it or not, the french send flour every month for baguettes and croissants to ensure they have the 'good' stuff. Priorities! Who knew? On deck, these cargo ships have space for several hitch-hiking 'mast up' yachts on deck making for a quicker, less taxing trip over the pond. I'll attach a picture as its quite the sight. They can then drop the boats in the sea ready to sail. In our case, north for 1,100NM to Bahamas (almost non-stop) with a quick fuel stop in Turks and Caicos.

Sadly, I was en route from a trip to Switzerland & Germany to London when she arrived so we won't get to see her til Feb. Punishment. Feeling jealous & a little sorry for Charterer #1. They have a spanking new boat for 4 weeks. And the owners get to see how you treated her! But she's bound to have a few teething issues & will be at the mercy of whatever kit is put on board without any editing from my in-house household fleet Admiral. Will have to wait for our Feb set up trip to see her.

I fly longhaul a heck of a lot for my business, so worked out that my crew (family) baggage allowance is 170lbs (c.75kgs) per head (x 5) before carry-on. That's equivalent to a small pallet of cement so we can ship down whatever might be needed, while feeling a pleasant sense of revenge on our friends at One World airline group for all the unused baggage allowance over the past 1/4 century.
Alan, I was conscious that there would be bags of manuals on board. I usually read them cover to cover on every charter (yeah right!) Well...maybe I skim them. But for the less diligent, we thought a one or two page basic instruction on each feature might be handy for short term charters. Will keep you all posted & thanks for the contributions. Keep em coming.