Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2008, 17:56   #1

Athena 38 Diesel fumes

Finally got to board a 1999 Athena 38 but it too has the same issues for me.
Is there a way to vent the engine compartment? I noticed a slight smell of raw diesel when in the aft staterooms. I can only imagine what the engine fumes must be like when they are running. The designers did not do much to seal off the engine from the stateroom. Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks,
Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 18:27   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Neal,

The engine compartment should be vented to the outside and also have a blower attached. The smell of diesel oil and engine exhaust are two different problems, and neither should exist on a boat with modern engine(s). Either there is a diesel fuel leak or an exhaust leak. Or the engine or engine room is simply very dirty and coated from careless maintenance and needs a good cleaning. You should be able to solve this problem (although I guess it's not your problem in this case).

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 19:00   #3

Athena 38

Mark thanks for the advice on the diesel issue.
Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 19:07   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Neal, if you are considering buying this boat you might want to give it a pass unless you can make a good determination as to why you have such strong odors.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 19:09   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
These boats have 4-5 inch pipeing going in and out and the pipe is that thin wall flex that could get a hole in it and allow the exhaust to come in , easy to fix with duct tape
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 15:25   #6

Boat: FP Tobago 35
The engine compartment should be vented to the outside and also have a blower attached. The smell of diesel oil and engine exhaust are two different problems, and neither should exist on a boat with modern engine(s). Either there is a diesel fuel leak or an exhaust leak. Or the engine or engine room is simply very dirty and coated from careless maintenance and needs a good cleaning. You should be able to solve this problem (although I guess it's not your problem in this case).

Mark[/quote]

I have a tobago, which I think is very much like an Athena.

There is no engine blower, as the engine room is vented via a couple of hoses that end behind the moulded aluminium logos.

Do what Mark reccomends, then check out the area around the diesel tank, if it is under the cockpit seats??

When I bought my boat (it was 7 yrs old) I couldn't find the source of the diesel smell. It turned out that behind and under the diesel tank, spills had built up, with dust to a nice layer. The area under the cockpit seats connects the 2 aft cabins as it is used for the tube connecting the rudders.

Pull out the tank, give the whole area a good clean, then you should be OK,until someone spills diesel again, thats why I always decant using a siphon hose, into a funnel, -its slower but cleaner, and can be done in rough weather.

Cheers

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel