Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2023, 09:10   #1

Boat: Athena 38
Athena 38 in the UK: Hardtop

Hi

I have an FP Athena 38, currently berthed in Montenegro. She needs a new bimini and I would like to upgrade to a hardtop. I am considering building one in my garage in the UK and transporting it to the boat on a trailer. I have a history of this sort of thing !

My problem is that however hard one tries there are allways measurements and photos that you omit to get the first time. Is there anyone here who has an Athena on the South Coast of England and would permit me to board her to take measurements and photos?

I would be happy to share my final design, though it it all gets too dificult it may get delayed or abandoned.

Thanks
Boatfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 05:18   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Athena 38 in the UK: Hardtop

Hi,
I have a Lavezzi which is the bigger sister but now the athena quiet well
The stainless steel structure underneath is by far to round shaped and also a bit to fragile.
Also much easier for fabricating the roof to make it much straighter and beef up the SS so you can accommodate a lot solar on it and also walk on it
To do that I would take the whole stainless structure off and partly fabricate a more even and riged one. Do the roof in one piece, structural much better.
This you can take then apart and home to do your roof and right away integrate solar panels.

But your cat is in Greece, I would go over to Turkey and let the guys there do ss work and maybe even do the roof. If it's quite straight it's sheets of Styrofoam and glassing over them, then fair and paint.
Will be the same money and less pain...just transporting that forth and back will cost you the labour for fabricating it. Or do it yourself on the boatyard.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote