Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2024, 07:55   #1

Buying a brand new Isla 40 - What options are a must have?

Buying a brand (used) new ISLA 40, it's delivered already but the owner hasn't sailed it or done any upgrades. It's pretty factory basic order.

My plan is to sail it during the season in the Bahamas (Nov - May) and then live on land the rest of the year. I'm putting together a list of must have's and nice to have upgrades.

Was hoping to get some input from current owners as to what upgrades made sense, what didn't, what do you wish you had or had not done when you first got your boat?

Here's my wish-list so far.. For sure I can't afford all of them!

* WaterMaker
* Washer/Dryer (vented)
* Single line 2nd reef
* Chain counter at helm
* textaline shades inside salon
* Freezer where nav station used to be (currently a cabinet)
* Fresh water wash at bow
* Solar Arch with additional solar (1300w or more)
* Lithium
* Upgrade Rochna/mantas Anchor
* Line Cutter
* Saloon Enclosure
* Underwater lights
blackc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 09:29   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Buying a brand new Isla 40 - What options are a must have?

As a former delivery guy-----Keep second line reefing. Keep shades, chain counter, and line cutters. Water maker is nice, newer ones also have tech for automatic backwash.

If possible, add different color sheets for jib vs main. FP uses the same !@#$ brown on too many lines.

Why FW wash at bow? If that is for anchor can be salt.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 11:22   #3

I don't have an FP but a Leopard. But the basics are pretty universal.

First on my list would be folding or feathering propellers. The single best thing you can do to improve sailing performance. Max-Prop and Gori are most popular in cats because they have the strongest reverse.

Second would be a Oxley Levante parasail. By far the best downwind sail that works from 90awa to 180awa. Much better than a Code 0 downwind. Otherwise you'll find yourself motoring most of the time the wind is aft of the beam.

Dyneema halyards for mainsail and genoa

Get at least 1200AH of lithium

To not ever turn on the genset you'll need 3000 watts of solar which isn't feasible on most boats.

Assume you won't run air conditioning off the batteries (you won't need it in the Bahamas in winter season and it takes a lot of extra batteries and inverter)

AIS

Victron Cerbo with GX display to monitor batteries and charging

Prefer Mantus or Spade. If getting Rocna get the new Rocna MKII. Try to fit an 88lb anchor (40kg). May have to make cardboard pattern from anchor company website to see if it will fit the roller. Look at SVPantanius videos on YouTube for other anchors to consider.

For watermaker consider 12v so you don't have to run a genset. Look at CruiseRO - much cheaper and more reliable than Spectra. Great customer support.

Helm enclosure all the way around. Consider polycarbonate for front "windshield" instead of strataglass. Stays clear much longer. More like glass to look through. Doesn't roll up but you get plenty of ventilation by rolling up the other sides.

What dinghy? Highfield classic is the most common. Smaller is better when beaching. The 340 is a really nice size for you. 15 or 20hp outboard. Suzuki, Tohatsu, or Yamaha. Be sure it's fuel injected not carburator.

In The Bahamas you can't have too much freezer because food is so expensive and limited selection. I bought a 3rd freezer after a few years in The Bahamas.

I don't use the fresh water washdown but some people do to rinse the salt off the chain so it doesn't rust as quickly while stored. I'm not sure it helps that much.

Underwater lights are fun for a day or two but then you'll probably not turn them on. It's also really not good for the fish.

Consider mesh shades on the outside of the salon windows to keep the salon cooler.

Starlink. A must in The Bahamas.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 11:24   #4

I don't have an FP but a Leopard. But the basics are pretty universal.

First on my list would be folding or feathering propellers. The single best thing you can do to improve sailing performance. Max-Prop and Gori are most popular in cats because they have the strongest reverse.

Second would be a Oxley Levante parasail. By far the best downwind sail that works from 90awa to 180awa. Much better than a Code 0 downwind. Otherwise you'll find yourself motoring most of the time the wind is aft of the beam.

Dyneema halyards for mainsail and genoa

Get at least 1200AH of lithium

To not ever turn on the genset you'll need 3000 watts of solar which isn't feasible on most boats.

Assume you won't run air conditioning off the batteries (you won't need it in the Bahamas in winter season and it takes a lot of extra batteries and inverter)

AIS

Victron Cerbo with GX display to monitor batteries and charging

Prefer Mantus or Spade. If getting Rocna get the new Rocna MKII. Try to fit an 88lb anchor (40kg). May have to make cardboard pattern from anchor company website to see if it will fit the roller. Look at SVPantanius videos on YouTube for other anchors to consider.

For watermaker consider 12v so you don't have to run a genset. Look at CruiseRO - much cheaper and more reliable than Spectra. Great customer support.

Helm enclosure all the way around. Consider polycarbonate for front "windshield" instead of strataglass. Stays clear much longer. More like glass to look through. Doesn't roll up but you get plenty of ventilation by rolling up the other sides.

What dinghy? Highfield classic is the most common. Smaller is better when beaching. The 340 is a really nice size for you. 15 or 20hp outboard. Suzuki, Tohatsu, or Yamaha. Be sure it's fuel injected not carburator.

In The Bahamas you can't have too much freezer because food is so expensive and limited selection. I bought a 3rd freezer after a few years in The Bahamas.

I don't use the fresh water washdown but some people do to rinse the salt off the chain so it doesn't rust as quickly while stored. I'm not sure it helps that much.

Underwater lights are fun for a day or two but then you'll probably not turn them on. It's also really not good for the fish.

Consider mesh shades on the outside of the salon windows to keep the salon cooler.

Starlink. A must in The Bahamas. You can pause it when you are living ashore.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 12:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
As a former delivery guy-----Keep second line reefing. Keep shades, chain counter, and line cutters. Water maker is nice, newer ones also have tech for automatic backwash.

If possible, add different color sheets for jib vs main. FP uses the same !@#$ brown on too many lines.

Why FW wash at bow? If that is for anchor can be salt.
Thanks! Agree on all of them. And yes it's frustrating they use the same color sheets! I'll add that to the list.

FW at the bow, I've been told by other owners it comes in very handy for cleaning decks, cushions, etc. And that they use it to spray down the anchor after just to get salt off it. They claim it helps it last longer. Not sure if that's accurate or not!
Old 19-06-2024, 11:22   #6

Congrats! We are in the process of organizing / fitting out our new Isla as well, which arrived in April, so we're trying to figure out many of the same things!

Depending on how much the original owner did after receipt, some things we only learned the hard way through this process:

* There does not appear to be any blackwater tank gauges, and the tanks themselves are relatively inaccessible behind the heads. There are some hidden screws that can remove that entire sheet of laminate, but not something we want to do every day, so we are in the process of finding someone who can install and cable some sensors for us.

* All the safety equipment that came with the boat had to be replaced, except the life-raft; this included the fire extinguishers, so check and make sure they are USCG-approved or if they are the original versions.

* We are ordering a pair of folding propellers as well, so echoing CarlF on this one. Obviously we don't have them yet, but ended up going with Flexifold personally. Still TBD on when they will get installed

* We did get the mesh shades that attach on the outside of the windows, and they are GREAT. They do everything we want from them, reduce heat inside, still let us see through, and significantly reduce or eliminate people looking it while at the dock. Another +1 recommendation.

* We plumbed for the washer/dryer but didn't have it installed day1 - the location they prep for it is in the storage compartment forward of the owners' shower [not vented], and right now we find that more useful as storage space since we're not on for weeks at a time. I'm considering using that for a watermaker space instead, and finding a better location for the washer in the future.

Good luck, and let us know if you find any great ugrades
Zhent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 08:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhent View Post
Congrats! We are in the process of organizing / fitting out our new Isla as well, which arrived in April, so we're trying to figure out many of the same things!

Depending on how much the original owner did after receipt, some things we only learned the hard way through this process:

* There does not appear to be any blackwater tank gauges, and the tanks themselves are relatively inaccessible behind the heads. There are some hidden screws that can remove that entire sheet of laminate, but not something we want to do every day, so we are in the process of finding someone who can install and cable some sensors for us.

* All the safety equipment that came with the boat had to be replaced, except the life-raft; this included the fire extinguishers, so check and make sure they are USCG-approved or if they are the original versions.

* We are ordering a pair of folding propellers as well, so echoing CarlF on this one. Obviously we don't have them yet, but ended up going with Flexifold personally. Still TBD on when they will get installed

* We did get the mesh shades that attach on the outside of the windows, and they are GREAT. They do everything we want from them, reduce heat inside, still let us see through, and significantly reduce or eliminate people looking it while at the dock. Another +1 recommendation.

* We plumbed for the washer/dryer but didn't have it installed day1 - the location they prep for it is in the storage compartment forward of the owners' shower [not vented], and right now we find that more useful as storage space since we're not on for weeks at a time. I'm considering using that for a watermaker space instead, and finding a better location for the washer in the future.

Good luck, and let us know if you find any great ugrades
Thank you! Great list and suggestions.

Tags
buying