Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 16:41   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia
Cruising Weight

The FP website lists the Helia at an unloaded displacement of 10.8 tons, but it hit me as I'm working on sizing various things (anchor, storm gear etc) for Starry Horizons that the unloaded displacement isn't a very helpful number. What I'm curious about is what do your Helias weigh with all your gear onboard?

Recognizing that each boat is set up differently, perhaps you could share the large options you have on board ie: genset, air conditioning etc, to give some sense of where your boat falls on the spectrum of "lightship" to heavily optioned cruiser. Since it's tough to accurately weigh a boat, even an estimate would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 17:13   #2

Re: Cruising Weight

Hi. My Helia was lifted out of the water in MacKay Aust, last Sept. Just out of the water weight was 12.4t (presuming the scales were correct!). The lift included the tender (144kg) an 8kva Fisher Panda Genset (96kg), Bauer Jnr dive compressor (50kg), a 4 x dive tanks and minimum other personal kit. Fuel approx 65% (approx 305kg), water 50% (325kg), 33kg Rocna anchor and 75m of 10mm chain (I think 2.2kg per metre so 165kg). Spare anchor and another 20m of chain (64kg)This make the boat a tad under 11.2t dry weight. Probably another 200kg of other stuff! That makes an approximate lightship weight of 11t. Accounting for manufacturer exaggeration allowance (10.8) it seems pretty close.
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 17:18   #3

Just for reference. We sold a long waterline 47 mono and bought the Lagoon 42 cat. They were docked next to each other on moving day. All we had to do was move everything across the finger pier. The mono came up 5" on the waterline. The Cat went down about 1.75".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 17:29   #4

Just adding to that we have just done a three day run down the NSW coast. With 15 - 18knots of breeze over a 7hr over night period at 40-60deg off the port bow (Easterly)we averaged over 7knots. We had one reef in (for comfort and due to frequent squalls)Thats about 1/2 wind speed.We also had a hydro generator down which knocked about 1knt off. Much better speeds achieved on the beam round to 120deg with way less leeway. With an assym kite we are up around 10-11knts @100deg. We are doing NSW coast to New Caledonia early May with SE trades. Hoping to average 8-10knots. Just for info regarding boat weight.
Old 13-03-2014, 08:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasa View Post
Hi. My Helia was lifted out of the water in MacKay Aust, last Sept. Just out of the water weight was 12.4t (presuming the scales were correct!). The lift included the tender (144kg) an 8kva Fisher Panda Genset (96kg), Bauer Jnr dive compressor (50kg), a 4 x dive tanks and minimum other personal kit. Fuel approx 65% (approx 305kg), water 50% (325kg), 33kg Rocna anchor and 75m of 10mm chain (I think 2.2kg per metre so 165kg). Spare anchor and another 20m of chain (64kg)This make the boat a tad under 11.2t dry weight. Probably another 200kg of other stuff! That makes an approximate lightship weight of 11t. Accounting for manufacturer exaggeration allowance (10.8) it seems pretty close.
Nasa - that is incredibly helpful, thank you! I was being extra cautious and estimating an even higher weight than your 12.4t so it's good to know some actual numbers and give me a range to work with. Can't wait to experience your type of performance actually on the water!

David
Old 18-03-2014, 22:58   #6
DtM

Nasa,

Is your Helia the one that will be at the Pittwater Show?

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 14:37   #7

Yes. 1 Giant Leap will be at the Pittwater Sail Expo.

Nasa
Old 22-03-2014, 19:57   #8

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Does anyone know how to work out the weight of a boat?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 20:27   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
Does anyone know how to work out the weight of a boat?
Try a scale.

If you're too cheap to get the boat weighed (like most of us), pull on the boat with a known weight, track the boat's position vs time, and report back.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 21:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Try a scale.

If you're too cheap to get the boat weighed (like most of us), pull on the boat with a known weight, track the boat's position vs time, and report back.
HOW? Do I weigh a boat? It's not like it can be lifted and put in a scale?

Does anyone have any sensible knowledge of how to go about obtaining the weight of a 36 steel ketch?
Old 23-03-2014, 02:52   #11

Boat: suncrest 46

Sorry to say that but the Helia's weight is about 15T minimum !
skipdaichainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 03:52   #12

I've done a bit of searching and it seems if I calculate the area displaced in water, or the amount it's sitting in the water then multiply that by water density I would have the weight. Can anyone concur with that?
Old 23-03-2014, 05:12   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I've done a bit of searching and it seems if I calculate the area displaced in water, or the amount it's sitting in the water then multiply that by water density I would have the weight. Can anyone concur with that?

Correct (except, it's "volume", not "area") - as Archimedes worked out a couple of thousand years ago.

The problem comes in calculating the volume of an irregular shape like a boat hull and keel below the waterline.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 05:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdaichainer View Post
Sorry to say that but the Helia's weight is about 15T minimum !
Just curious, what are you basing this off of?
Old 23-03-2014, 05:38   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
HOW? Do I weigh a boat? It's not like it can be lifted and put in a scale?
Actually its exactly like that. Multihull Yacht Club of Queensland for example regularly has days where they weigh boats - even very large - 16 metre cats etc, necessary for OMR Handicap processes.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising