Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2022, 11:40   #226

Boat: Mahe 36
Re: Engines

Update on aftermarket water pump">raw water pump for VP D1-30.
In 2018 I replaced the leaking Volvo penta raw water pump with the aftermarket pump from Ancor. The pump was an ST123 that I purchased from Parts4Engines. I ended up replacing both pumps, one per engine.
Fast forward to 2022. A leaking water seal prompted me to pull and replace the port pump again. It was replaced by an Ancor ST323 from SVB in Germany. Two weeks later the starboard pump began to leak water so I rebuilt the first ST123 pump.
I contacted Ancor in Italy with some technical questions and discovered that although both ST123 and ST323 bolt up to and perform perfectly to the engine, the ST123 takes a non-OEM replacement impeller. The seals bearings everything else except the shaft and impeller are the same as the OEM pump from Volvo penta.
So, I just want to tell everyone that if you replace the pump entirely, the Ancor ST323 is the correct pump to use unless you want to keep non-OEM replacement impellers. Remember, I ended up with both an ST123 and an ST323 pump installed on the boat. Not a real good idea.
I found that servicing the pump on the engine is not possible on the Mahe Because there is no simple front access to the engine. The easy way is to pull the pump rebuild it as necessary and reinstall. I have a complete rebuilt pump on board as a spare. Now I would like to find an extra drive gear so that it is simply plug and play.
Cheers
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 18:48   #227

Boat: MIrage 29
Re: Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufduck View Post
Update on aftermarket raw water pump for VP D1-30.
In 2018 I replaced the leaking Volvo penta raw water pump with the aftermarket pump from Ancor. The pump was an ST123 that I purchased from Parts4Engines. I ended up replacing both pumps, one per engine.
Fast forward to 2022. A leaking water seal prompted me to pull and replace the port pump again. It was replaced by an Ancor ST323 from SVB in Germany. Two weeks later the starboard pump began to leak water so I rebuilt the first ST123 pump.
I contacted Ancor in Italy with some technical questions and discovered that although both ST123 and ST323 bolt up to and perform perfectly to the engine, the ST123 takes a non-OEM replacement impeller. The seals bearings everything else except the shaft and impeller are the same as the OEM pump from Volvo penta.
So, I just want to tell everyone that if you replace the pump entirely, the Ancor ST323 is the correct pump to use unless you want to keep non-OEM replacement impellers. Remember, I ended up with both an ST123 and an ST323 pump installed on the boat. Not a real good idea.
I found that servicing the pump on the engine is not possible on the Mahe Because there is no simple front access to the engine. The easy way is to pull the pump rebuild it as necessary and reinstall. I have a complete rebuilt pump on board as a spare. Now I would like to find an extra drive gear so that it is simply plug and play.
Cheers
wow that's a LOT of work! Thank you for the information. I guess this could also apply to the D1-20
frajolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:15   #228

Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Volvo Penta part # 3809924 Washable Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Mahe’s

You can modifying your used $60 dollar Volvo Penta part # 3809924 Air Filters Into washable reusable air filters for $10 each and then wash them over and over again like new. It’s perfect for us catamaran owners who have two engines and do not want to spend $120 for every air filter change or stock these bulky filters on board for and extended cruise.

Purchase a FRAM WA4309 Washable Air Filter at Wal-Mart for $21 and cut into two pieces

The Document of the whole process is to big to post here (Lots of Pictures), so send me a private e-mail and I can send you a copy.

Here are some pictures to show the basics.

Mark
Can anyone recommend how to source this document? Mark seems no longer active.
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 23:50   #229

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Volvo Penta part # 3809924 Washable Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarkS View Post
Can anyone recommend how to source this document? Mark seems no longer active.
The pictures in post #49 is enough to tell you how its done.
Alternative there is a k&n filter as direct replacement but it replaces the box with an open cone airfilter and the air induction noise gets a bit louder. If you can bare with that in the Mahe its a quality replacement:
https://forums.ybw.com/threads/d1-30...r-info.437095/
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36