Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 09:12   #1

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'
FP New 47 Purchase

I'm very close (making decision in Miami at the Strictly Sail show) to purchasing a FP New 47. I just learned Volvo has upgraded the 55-D2, to 60-D2 largely due to stricter emission standards.

I'm assuming the engines are very similar, it just adds another level of concern - as if purchasing an early hull of sight-unseen new design isn't worrisome enough.

Any thoughts on the new motors (or any other issues)?

For reference - I'm able to take advantage of an active participation charter program and the bonus depreciation benefits (my tax attorney to approved.)

Anyone pursuing a similar route?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:49   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44
Re: FP New 47 Purchase

I can't say for certain but would think it is related to the issue I ran into last summer where the D1-30 & D2-40 motors were removed from US stock due to an EPA issue.

From the pictures of the D2-60, it appears to be built on the same Perkins/Shibaura base that is a very good motor.
rmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 12:06   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

New engi :more output for less consumption(higher efficiency), less emission (more ecological), highly complicated (less reliable ???)
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 12:13   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

Yeloya - You could be right but other than the MDI units, I don't see where the complications come in. These base motors are old school but then I really know very little about the new 60hp beyond the pictures.
rmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 15:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaher View Post
but then I really know very little about the new 60hp beyond the pictures.
This is the issue,based on what I've seen released by Volvo; it appears very few know. It likely won't stop me from writing a large deposit check in Miami, but it is concern.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
Old 14-02-2017, 15:52   #6

Will the FP47 be at the miami show?
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 16:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Will the FP47 be at the miami show?
No, Hull #1 won't be seen publicly until the La Grande Motte show in April. That's what makes an early purchase difficult. Aside from a CG video and generic specs from dealers; there's not much else available.

I'm going to spend time on the Helia and Saba (and L450S) in Miami...then interpolate.

That said, I "think" I like what I've seen and am considering making a "leap of faith" A trip to france in April to see the actual boat in production doesn't sound terrible.

For those researching "Active Participation" charter arrangements to take advantage of Bonus Depreciation; after much discussion and some charter contract changes, my tax attorney concluded that in his opinion it is IRS compliant (unlike the VAST majority of the common charter arrangements in place).

We won't know definitively until after being audited, but based on our history and my record-keeping standards, I'm comfortable with his opinion.

Old 14-02-2017, 18:15   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Volvo Penta D2-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
I just learned Volvo has upgraded the 55-D2, to 60-D2 largely due to stricter emission standards.
That is to bad that the Volvo Penta D2-60 has a Turbo Charger. Just seems like one more thing you do not really need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Volvo Penta D2-60.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	141295  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 19:10   #9

Re: Volvo Penta D2-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
That is to bad that the Volvo Penta D2-60 has a Turbo Charger. Just seems like one more thing you do not really need.
It is common to get well over 10,000 hours out of a simple turbo charger without repairs on agriculture or construction equipment. Less fuel, more power, whats not to like? It is also common to have several thousand dollars in repairs on a complex (variable geometry) turbo charger before 3000 hours. I hope these marine engines are not using Variable geometry turbos.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 05:30   #10

Arriving Miami midday today (staying at the Conrad.) Up for cocktails and boat discussions this afternoon/evening if anyone is interested.

Old 15-02-2017, 05:55   #11

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Any diesel without an injector pump needs a laptop to diagnose and repair. For me this is a no no. I have friend that's Volvo regularly went into limp home mode (1500 revs max) until it's fault cleared with a laptop.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 06:02   #12

I'm wonderIng if/how this might change the Volvo vs Yanmar discussion in 50~60HP engines.

Old 15-02-2017, 08:09   #13

Good idea. See you at 3pm. John

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Arriving Miami midday today (staying at the Conrad.) Up for cocktails and boat discussions this afternoon/evening if anyone is interested.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase