Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2015, 17:26   #1

Boat: FP Belize 43
Halyard sheaves

Hi all

I had a rigger look at my Belize 43 a couple of weeks ago..
He claims that the sheaves (all) have reached the point of no return ..

He also said that to replace them I would be better off pulling the mast out ? As the mast head arrangement captures the sheaves and are unable to remove and replace without spending hours of uncomfortable time up the stick with the mast head out and lashed / supported ?!

Has anyone had to replace sheaves?
Is there a simpler solution?

Thanks

Once freedom has exploded in the soul of a man, the gods have no more power over him -
Jean-Paul Sartre
wongai64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 18:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Halyard sheaves

The sheaves themselves are not that expensive, but time aloft can add up pretty quick. It's really a numbers game, how much will it cost to pull the mast and how much an hour are you paying the rigger.

Personally I have never understood the reluctance to pull a mast. Assuming there is a reasonable crane its a pretty easy process, and allows you to do a detailed inspection of the rest of the rig components easily.

And I would point out if the sheaves are this old it may be time to at least inspect the standing rigging, wiring, spreaders, ect. It may be worth doing a full on mast rerig at the same time.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 04:15   #3

Hi Paul
If you had a rigger inspect the rig and he advises to renew the sheaves I can only guess that he advises that the standing rigging is ok as you have not mentioned that it also needs replacing. Although the rigging is now getting on in age and if you are heading out into the Pacific I would consider renewing both to hopefully head off any potential problems in the middle of the ocean.
I will be having my mast unstepped and the rigging replaced very shortly so will also inspect the sheaves and replace if necessary. Just makes sense to do it then.
But if you have original rigging and original sheaves it might just be time for renewal of both, especially if you are heading offshore.
AussieWayne
AussieWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 19:56   #4

Boat: FP Belize 43

Hi Wayne

The standing rigging was all inspected and looks ok. Pulling the stick was a proposed solution which simply offered access to other checks repairs and I am seriously considering it .. It doesn't seem that expensive all up .. I was also contemplating new dyneema shrouds to replace the stainless wire. Apparently the softer rigging gives a better boat motion as the rigging tensions differently ?

The Forestay was replaced about 5 years ago and is apparently in GC.

My big issue at present is the sheaves tho .. I can't hoist the main as its lost its round and doesn't like turning . It's original was gone as well and has already been swapped for the topping lift sheave so no easy solution there

Btw .. I'm still working on the owners manual pics .. Had to go back to work in PNG

Cheers

Am heading off to indonesia later in the year

Once freedom has exploded in the soul of a man, the gods have no more power over him -
Jean-Paul Sartre
wongai64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 20:38   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

If you are leaving for blue water and considering rerig going the boat,then I probably would pull it, change all the sheaves, update the wiring, rerig theboat, ect.

I am very happy with Dux rigging on my trimaran, I would highly recommend it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard