Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 05:15   #16

Boat: Woodwind 10.3 catamaran
Beaching a catamaran

Hope I got it right now....
Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaching-of-Suvarov,-Las-Perlas,-Panama02-copy.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	12525   Click image for larger version

Name:	At-RLYC,-Langkawi,-Malaysia.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	12526  

Jan Iversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 11:58   #17

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Catamaran Winter Cover

Mahes,

Looking to purchase a cover for next winter. I know I am a little ahead on my planning, but they do take six weeks to make.
Here is how some cats look with a winter cover on.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Canvasstore_Dolfin Cat 84.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	17776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canvasstore_Dolfin Cat 91.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	17777  

Name:	Canvasstore_Lagoon stern 65.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	17778  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 12:20   #18

Boat: Alura 30
I wish that we could beach our Mahe like you are showing on the pictures,but we live on the Florida west coast,no chances,only with a hurricane coming would we get tides like that.....not advisable!
Mark I bought a 20 by 40 cheap tarp,not for winterization but for bird crap...somehow the Pelicans have been bombarding our boat.It stains everything,very hard to remove.Of course no snow down here so it does not have to be very strong.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 12:42   #19

Boat: Lagoon L42
Hi Mark,

How did your solar panel job come out? Was hoping you could post a few pics!

Chuck
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:43   #20

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
I wish that we could beach our Mahe like you are showing on the pictures,but we live on the Florida west coast,no chances,only with a hurricane coming would we get tides like that.....not advisable!
Mark I bought a 20 by 40 cheap tarp,not for winterization but for bird crap...somehow the Pelicans have been bombarding our boat.It stains everything,very hard to remove.Of course no snow down here so it does not have to be very strong.
JC.
have you tryed out a plastic copy off an eagel or someone that the other birds are afraid off. ? can keep them away.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:16   #21

Boat: 1994 Fountaine Pajot Tobago-35 "Lauren Marie"
captjohn360,

To answer your original question, just North of Annapolis in Pasadena, MD is Pleasure Cove Marina. They haul a lot of cats for winter storage. The can handle up to a 25ft beam so you should have no problem with that.

We've been using this marina since 2006. They normally start winter haul outs around November 1st but you can ask for a different time frame if you need to.

The person to talk to is Jeff Barger, the marina's manager. 410-437-6600.

MikeF.
mfeene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 19:35   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Mahe 36: Antifoul & Haul Out

Were pretty disappointed in the anti foul that has come from the factory. Seems it is made for the Northern Hemisphere (cooler waters or different climates) and is not as effective here in Australia.
So after only 8 months in the water, we have to haul out, water blast, sand and repaint.
We have never done this, and would appreciate any advice on this subject. Please feel free to be detailed we are brand new to this maintenance. Also how much anti foul does a Mahe 36 require. Thanks so much for your help.

Rozzie & Wayne
Vaya con Dios (Hull 111)
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 21:10   #23

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Antifoul

Hi Rozzie & Wayne

I also had to slip after 8-9 months with the factory antifoul.

I have used Altex 5 for 2 years now and it pretty much lasts a full year with no maintenence. I am not sure what was used on the saildrive legs but it was also much better than the factory mix. Probably an Altex aluminium specific product.

I can recommend Prop Speed on the props. I think this can be used on any metal as it works on the basis that fouling can't stick rather than poisioning it. I have S/S feathering prop.

One of the owners has applied one of the Epoxy/copper long life brands. I am keen to see how this works out as I like the idea of it but it is a big job to apply as the hull needs to be taken right back to bare gelcoat. You would still need to do the legs and prop regularly as you can't use the copper on aluminium.

Cheers
Martin (Hull 42)
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 05:44   #24

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I too had to haul after 12 months, the bottom was a mess, the factory did not use a primer under the paint. I had a primer coat applied (after alot of power washing) and then added 2 coats of Micro 66 and a third coat along the waterline, going on 2 years now. We have the bottom cleaned every 5 weeks but for the first 8 months we didn't have to clean at all. We also add TriLux paint to the saildrives (make sure that you clean the holes on the sail legs very well, we use a metal coathanger to do this) it is the intake to your engines. Then have the TriLux sprayed (it comes in a spraycan) into the holes (use a small plastic tube like you find on WD40 cans) this will help keep the flow of water coming to the engines. I've thought about adding a thru hull fitting and connecting the intake to the engines to that rather than deal with the small holes on the sail drives, just haven't done it yet.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 05:57   #25

Boat: Alura 30
Our Mahe is coming out of the water today,so I cant say anything yet,I am hoping to get two years ,my diver says that it is looking good...I know the sail drives are loaded with barnacles and so are the props even though they are beeing cleaned every 5 weeks! I will keep you up with the process.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 15:33   #26

Micron66

Just had a look at the Micron66 brochure. It reads well, if it lives up to the claims it should be pretty good. When you scrub it do you lose a lot of the material?
When I was sailing a lot I had no growth on the ablative paint but in the latter part of the year I did not sail much and growth started. I am wary of scrubbing it in water a) because you seem to lose too much material and b) it is illegal in NSW. That does not worry me too much but the cloud of blue around the boat is a dead giveaway!
Old 24-08-2010, 15:56   #27

Martin
No Blue is evident in the water when we hand scrub the hull. The Micron 66 to great for when you leave the boat in one location as we do for the summer. I have friend who swear by Trinadad but we have had great luck with Micro.

Scott
Old 24-08-2010, 16:09   #28

Micron66

Thanks Scott

What do you put on the saildrive legs?

Martin
Old 25-08-2010, 00:36   #29

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Antifoul on Mahe

Thanks for the info all. Some of my further questions...

How many liters do I need to do two coats and more along the waterline?

Is it necessary to sand, and if so would a wet sanding be the go? What grit?

If we didn't sand, and put primer where the white spots are, would that be enough?

Im thinking water blast, sand (wet) with 80 grit, and then put primer on where there are some hull marks showing through then paint. Also use a different paint on sail drives. (No copper)

I'm thinking it's ok to paint the rubber cowling at the top of the sail drive yes/No?
Also, the zincs have some coral growth on them, very small. Is it good enough to wire brush them or do they need to be replaced each time. There is no erosion on them.
Thanks again, this is really helping us with this info.
Rozzie
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 05:26   #30

Rozzie, Martin,
First, I used the TriLux paint on the sail Legs and prop (I don't have a folding SS prop). Do not paint the zincs, My zincs are the original and still in good shape, I plan on hauling out this Oct. and will replace them after 3.5 years. You can clean the growth off the zincs with a wire brush but don't get to aggressive, they are soft.
I see no need to paint the cowling, if it is loose, just reglue it back to the hull.
The entire hull should be primered, if you are seeing white where there should be paint, my guess is the rest will come off with a power washer. Look for blisters and have them professionally repaired, FP will pay for the repair.
My guess is one gallon of primer and between 2 to 3 gallons of antifouling paint. 2 spray cans of TriLux should do the trick.
Good Luck

Scott

Tags
haul out, mahe 36, on the hard