Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 04:53   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Helia Warranty Issues

I'm waiting on FP announcement that they've decided to focus on customer service and to actually respond to warranty issues on the existing Helias.

FP sent a man to Annapolis in June to perform warranty work on the 4 Helias docked here. FP pulled him out after partially completing work on ONE of the FOUR Helias here- mine included.

It hasn't helped that the sketchy broker (Eric Smith, Bay Yacht Agency) I purchased my Helia from has been completely dysfunctional -AND- had 3 key people quit this week. I hope FP steps up and stands behind owners who had the misfortune to purchase an FP boat though Bay Yacht Agency in Annapolis.

Fortunately, one of the vendors Bay Yacht used for service work has the replacement teak steps and replacement steering mechanism and will work with me to get Fountaine Pajot to agree to cover the warranty repair work on the other known issues: Davit and windlass reinforcements, additional freezer ventilation. My Davit is already showing cracks at base in the fiberglass, and all 4 teak steps have cracked- 2 have completely broken off.

If anyone from FP reads this post- surprise us all and respond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Helia44 WARRENTY WORK1.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	64632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helia44 WARRENTY WORK2.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	64633  

Seadame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 06:45   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35
Re: HELIA WARRANTY issues

I am glad you brought this issue to the forum. I have been in a toss-up over getting a Helia 44 and a Leopard 44. I am not too worried about things breaking (stuff happens), but if FP owners are having warranty issues then they will not be getting my money!
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:06   #3

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
What year its you're boat when did you buy it. Those cracks look more than minor.. If its warranty issues and they have now admitted there's a issue by sending a repair person out why have you not involved a lawyer yet.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 14:17   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: HH Catamarans & Hudson Power Cats
Send a message via Skype™ to FastSailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadame View Post
Seadame,

I am the Fountaine Pajot product manager at Florida Yacht Group & Eastern Yacht Sales.

I am sorry to hear that you had some problems with your new Helia.

I was just at the annual dealer meeting in La Rochelle. There is most certainly a strong desire improve service and warranty issues.

I was able to see the changes they have implemented on the newer Helia's.

The issues you've described seem to be consistent with the early hulls. We just took delivery of hull #25 and these had been addressed by the factory in their manufacturing processes and specifications.

We have helped FP owner's with service and warranty issues in the past, even if they've bought their boat from another dealer.

Fountaine Pajot builds a great boat. We deliver a great ownership experience.

If there is any way in which I can be of service to you, please feel free to contact me.

Frank McCarthy
Fountaine Pajot Product Manger
Florida Yacht Group
FastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:00   #5

Boat: Hélia 44 -sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadame View Post
I'm waiting on FP announcement that they've decided to focus on customer service and to actually respond to warranty issues on the existing Helias.

FP sent a man to Annapolis in June to perform warranty work on the 4 Helias docked here. FP pulled him out after partially completing work on ONE of the FOUR Helias here- mine included.

It hasn't helped that the sketchy broker (Eric Smith, Bay Yacht Agency) I purchased my Helia from has been completely dysfunctional -AND- had 3 key people quit this week. I hope FP steps up and stands behind owners who had the misfortune to purchase an FP boat though Bay Yacht Agency in Annapolis.

Fortunately, one of the vendors Bay Yacht used for service work has the replacement teak steps and replacement steering mechanism and will work with me to get Fountaine Pajot to agree to cover the warranty repair work on the other known issues: Davit and windlass reinforcements, additional freezer ventilation. My Davit is already showing cracks at base in the fiberglass, and all 4 teak steps have cracked- 2 have completely broken off.

Hi!
Can you tell me if Fountaine Pajot finally agreed to support these basic repairs on your Helia?
It's been three months since I am fighting to get an agreement on the teak steps, davits, freezer, etc. ...
Though these are the same problems that everyone has, FP behaves as if it was a big surprise. They claim they need to think about it!
I wonder what it will be when there are more serious problems.
Last summer, fed up with their lack of answer, we have already had to repair at our expense generator and water maker which included major defects. Not to mention an engine garantee extension that they failed to honour.
It's now five months we've waiting to be refunded.
Their after sales service has a bad reputation, but I never thought it could be that serious.
Their policy appears to completly ignore customers complaints, and they expect that silence will lead to the people abandoning their request.
domuzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:16   #6

Boat: PDQ32

Items such as the generator, water maker, and engines, have their warranty coverage provided by the manufacturer of the item in question. Your dealer should assist in getting the appropriate companies to respond.

Minor repair items are normally looked after by the dealer who then submits a claim to the boat manufacturer.

It sounds like your dealer support may be the issue.
Old 11-11-2013, 14:58   #7
DtM

While you are correct about the warranty being from the suppliers the problem is that the warranty is often given in favour of FP and so you still need to interact with them.

FP can be frustrating.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 18:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by domuzes View Post
Hi!
Can you tell me if Fountaine Pajot finally agreed to support these basic repairs on your Helia?
It's been three months since I am fighting to get an agreement on the teak steps, davits, freezer, etc. ...
Though these are the same problems that everyone has, FP behaves as if it was a big surprise. They claim they need to think about it!
I wonder what it will be when there are more serious problems.
Last summer, fed up with their lack of answer, we have already had to repair at our expense generator and water maker which included major defects. Not to mention an engine guarantee extension that they failed to honour.
It's now five months we've waiting to be refunded.
Their after sales service has a bad reputation, but I never thought it could be that serious.
Their policy appears to completely ignore customers complaints, and they expect that silence will lead to the people abandoning their request.

Yes- the repairs were finally made. FP supplied the Annapolis dealer with replacement steps, new steering cable and a freezer vent for the 4 Helias here in Annapolis this past June. The Davit connection to the transom repair was done 2 weeks ago. It is a rather difficult and technical repair- so finding a competent marine mechanic who is good at fiberglass / gelcoat and metal fabricating is key to getting this repair done and the cost approved by FP.
The Davit repair was a ~$4,700 warranty expense + $740 haul/blocking fees (the dealer split this expense with me) -it took 4 days on the hard to complete.

Dealers should assist with the warranty claims. They essentially get approval from FP for repair costs to have the warranty work done by local tradesmen. Often FP allows the dealer to use cash from a recent FP boat deposit to cover warranty repair expense, so the dealer isn't waiting for FP to pay them for warranty work.
Old 11-11-2013, 18:40   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Glad it worked out. I had a customer win a large lawsuit against FP in the US, but was unable to collect a dime as they have no assets in the US as all boats are owned by dealers.

He was advised it would be pointless to try the French legal system as FP is to connected to lose a court case.
Old 11-11-2013, 22:23   #10

Boat: Hélia 44 -sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

He was advised it would be pointless to try the French legal system as FP is to connected to lose a court case.
Hello,
what do you mean by that?
Is it that Fountaine Pajot estimate that they are above the law and that it discourage clients to assert their rights?
It is probably probably the case, but we, customers, should not give up. It wouldn't help anyone.
Neither us, nor the prospective clients or FP themselves because their bad image would become worse.
Could you ask the customer you are talking about to contact me by PM.
Or even better to tell his story here on this forum.

@ Seadame,
thank you for your response, I think it will help us demonstrate to Fountaine Pajot that these problems are known, and that they have agreed to repair them elsewhere.
And that it already took them ages to get the work done in your case, it's not worth wasting all this time again.
I know, it's the dealer who is in charge, but the problem it that he hide behind FP.
Believe it or not, it's now three months he has been waiting for the go/no go on the teak steps. Three pièces of wood on a 550 000 € boat...
Thanks.

Annuler les modifications
domuzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:00   #11
Marine Service Provider

It was well covered in latitude 38 about 10 years ago perhaps a few more. The boat was named Constellation and was a Marquesas 56. It was a long sorted deal, but my point was they seem to have the ability to squash bad press and Peter was supposedly advised they were too politically connected to pursue in France.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:56   #12

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
It was well covered in latitude 38 about 10 years ago perhaps a few more. The boat was named Constellation and was a Marquesas 56. It was a long sorted deal, but my point was they seem to have the ability to squash bad press and Peter was supposedly advised they were too politically connected to pursue in France.
There is two sides to every story.

Owner refused to accept repair costs, wanted "damages" over and above repair costs. It was a boat show "demo" that was damaged during construction/delivery. When latent damage/repair issues appeared after delivery, owner/overzealous lawyer wanted revenge as they felt deceived never being told of the original damage. A $20-50k repair turned into a multi-million dollar award by a county court in California that got perfected to every jurisdiction in the US.

Nothing about being politically connected, courts in Europe simply refuse to listen to absurd lawsuits.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

It was a boat that he purchased with the understanding it would be used in the show. It was not a demo. He owned the boat when it launched.

Anyway, I have no dog in this fight. But FP could have made it right and taken back the boat after it broke loose from its mooring in France and washed ashore.
Old 22-11-2013, 20:35   #14

** UPDATE **

Thank you Mr. Chris Bent for stepping up to help resolve our warranty hassles with FP. Chris is the principal at Atlantic Cruising Yachts- the new dealer for Jeanneau Yachts & Fountaine Pajot Catamarans- replacing "Bay Yacht Agency" and its former owner -who was the antithesis of Mr. Bent.

Chris was consistently professional and integress to work with throughout the process of coordinating warranty repairs for our Helia 44; including the Davit supports, freezer vent, teak steps, steering system and windlass platform strengthening.

Chris advocated on our behalf with Fountaine Pajot to get warranty repairs approved and coordinated with the various tradesmen to schedule the work to be done here in Annapolis. I would not hesitate to recommend Chris as a broker who has integrity and good working relationships within the industry to assist with any post sale issues.
Old 23-11-2013, 12:24   #15

i think that reading these kind of posts (excluding your last one, Seadame) should just achieve in xompletely stopping clients from ever considering to buy an FP boat.
They are going to start turning to other manufacturers, or wait 2 or 3 more years, save more, and buy a Privilège, outremer, or catana for instance, all of their post sales customer care seems to be flawless.
It's just a shame, FP boats have such a beautiful external design.
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote