Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 06:36   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Help! Tiller Connector Kit

I need a picture of the tiller connector assembly (and some measurements if possible) to get the right part from Fountaine Pajot!

I am in Canada, and the boat is in Grenada, but I need to get the part sent here from France, and I cannot get a picture to the factory to ensure they have what I need. Anybody willing to post a picture?

The tiller connector is a long aluminum extruded hollow tube that travels from hull to hull, and connects the two tillers together. It has a bushing that goes through the tube, around the bolt, so the bolt doesn't wear the holes in the tube wider. I am trying to get the bushing, and at present, cannot even be sure of the bolt size or the hole size.

Can anybody get to their boat and give me a hand? I can't say for sure that other FP boats have the same assembly.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:52   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Help! Tiller Connector Kit

Sonosailor,

Not sure if this will help you, but here is a few pictures of the FP Mahe 36 rudder connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7010229.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	127461   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7010228.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	127462  

Name:	P7010230.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	127463  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:01   #3

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.

Cotemar: That is how it should have been done, but not how they did it in 1995. It appears your Mahe has an interior heavy pipe installed inside the tiller connecter pipe, riveted into place likely before the hole was drilled, and a bushing around the bolt. I am looking for just the bushing, but cannot be sure if your bushing is the same as mine, both the interior and exterior diameters, and I have no idea if mine has a flange, or is two pieces. The original bushings, I am sure, predate my ownership. Nice assembly. Mine might end up like that before we're through, though.

I'll hold out for the possible pic of a Tobago's connector. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:02   #4

Gotta ask, Cotemar: How did you get that up so quickly? Are you on the boat?
Old 06-07-2016, 10:18   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Gotta ask, Cotemar: How did you get that up so quickly? Are you on the boat?
I have an e-folder with other segregated e-folders of every system on the boat. Whenever a cruiser or myself needs to take a look at any systems, then I review what I have and post it.

For anyone with a foreign or distant boat, these e-folders can save big time and money.

Boat systems are very difficult to describe in text, but once you see a picture all of a sudden everything becomes clearer.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:56   #6

Boat: 1994 Fountaine Pajot Tobago-35 "Lauren Marie"

My 1994 Tobago Hope this helps. MikeF

Name:	IMG_0624.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	127518

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	127519

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	127520

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	127521

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	127522
mfeene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:32   #7

That's the money shot, mfeene01! It will get me what I want, I hope, even without the dimensions. I'll attempt to set some pics of the parts for both of those assemblies, from FP.

I notice from your pics that you have a white cloth, probably an oil soaker, catching the metal grindings inherent in the design.

BTW, the pointed allen screws that go through the tiller and into the v-notch of the rudder post have been upgraded with skinny nuts by FP, to allow you to lock them against the outside of the tiller and decrease the chance of loosening and then shearing the tips of the bolts. Mine loosened a couple of times - once just before an overnighter and allowed the rudder to swing into the prop just as I was leaving. Bit of a mess.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:26   #8

Well, with your help, I think I will soon have what I need from Muriel Guillard of FP. By the way, here is a pic she sent me. The top spacer is obviously for the old Tobagos, and the bottom assembly fits the fantastically superior connector assembly on the Mahes. I will use the simple top spacer with some delrin washers. I can see how the Mahe installation is quieter and stiffer, but do not have the smaller pipe, nor do I wish to overdrill the tiller hole. Thanks for the assistance, guys!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiller connector parts.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	127539  
Old 08-06-2018, 12:24   #9

Bad news. I got two tiller connector kits from FP that match the above photo, went to Grenada with them, and they do not fit! No part fits. Anybody have any use for these?